Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The dreaded nc studio

A while back I got ripped on a purchase from china, I posted the link here on the forum, they made mne something not even close to what we agreed and then shipped it to me without sending me any papers for customs clearance.

Well after all that debarcal Im 6k lighter and have something sitting in my workshop that Ive got to try and get running

I have a few cnc machines and have also made one from scratch, so pretty confident around them

This one is equipped or should I say set up to use ncstudio, of which no ncstudio was supplied,

After reading lots on it, what is the best option available

It came with a controller card which I have fitted into my computer, but I cannot get any drivers for it, ideally I would like to just run mach 3

I guess first thing I need is a ncstudio card driver for windows xp, anyone have one

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

My system arrived from China with NC Studio, the proprietary interface and a pirated CD. I never used NC Studio. Instead removed the interface and installed standard breakout boards connecting to parallel ports on my PC. Long story short I'm in the process of changing this to using a smoothstepper board with Ethernet interface which in hindsight would have been better option initially but just found it hard to justify the extra $200 or $300 at the time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Does not matter any more, the machine was bought as a 4 axis machine, but when I opened up inside to sort this board out, low and behold there is only 3 microstep drivers, the rotary and x axis were both wired to the same unit, go figure

So I need to make it a working 4 axis unit, so I have cut the whole electronics out and am starting it all again my way, to that end, not a single earth wire was connected, so heaven help if it had a short at some time and you were unfortunate enough to touch the body

Hi Steve

You don't need to go spending heaps of money on a u-beaut BOB. I would suggest to you that you have a look at Homann Designs site and think of getting one of his MB-02-V6 boards or possibly even better, one of the Gecko G540s that he is the Australian agent for. The G540 has four controllers built right in to it.

If you have troubles then Peter is here in Australia and I can tell you from personal experience that he is a very helpful man. Not that you should have any problems, because his site has all sorts of stuff that is designed to help you get your purchases installed and working properly ASAP.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Thanks, been in touch with rod,

Have ordered a breakout board, a new microstep drive controller as my purchased 4 axis cnc only came with 3, water chiller for spindle, parallel port card, and various electrical connectors.

So hopefully when everything arrives I can get this tribulation finished

Steve

It's not unheard of to repurpose one linear axis when a rotary axis is in use. I'm not sure how they actually do this though.

G'day Steve,

I did some experimenting with thoughts of adding a 4th axis to my machine a while ago and found that the normal X-axis becomes unnecessary. Surprisingly to me, the Y and Z travel worked as they should, but the X held in the one position (whatever you make the 0-point at)
    All the axis were controlled via the software, so in effect you could still use a 3 axis machine by re-purposing the X-axis motor/controller and locking the (old) X-axis mechanically in position.
    It's a 'cheap' way of getting a 4th axis, but there's a bit of reconfiguring involved in the mechanics of it each time you need to use it, mainly in physically moving the motor to its new position.

Sorry John, but no.

In most circumstances you can replace the x axis with the rotary and tell the cnc to work accordingly

But if you are working on a cylinder and wish to machine a chimney in that cylinder you need the rotary and all other 3 axis's working to achieve the chimney

We bought this machine specifically designed as we want to start making clarinets (musical instrument prototypes)

Spent ages with this company refining exactly what I wanted, and I mean exactly and then they ship me of the floor normal crap that doesnt even work

Steve

I am sorry you spent all that money on a Chinese machine and got, as per usual, ripped off.
    A guy up here in North Queensland build very good machines to your specs and his prices are reasonable.
    MADE IN AUSTRALIA AND BACKED UP WITH AN AUSTRALIAN GUARANTEE.
    Andrew is a member of this forum but I can't remember his last name.
    If you contact "Epineh" he can give you the information as Andrew is a friend of his.
    Every day is better than yesterday

Cheers
    SAISAY

Quote Originally Posted by simso View Post
    Sorry John, but no.

In most circumstances you can replace the x axis with the rotary and tell the cnc to work accordingly

But if you are working on a cylinder and wish to machine a chimney in that cylinder you need the rotary and all other 3 axis's working to achieve the chimney

We bought this machine specifically designed as we want to start making clarinets (musical instrument prototypes)

Spent ages with this company refining exactly what I wanted, and I mean exactly and then they ship me of the floor normal crap that doesnt even work

Steve
    Yep, I can see what you mean. I briefly played with the idea, so I only worked on a cylindrical design. I stopped with the idea, so I didn't get deep into any problems that might have cropped up... (and there's usually plenty!)

A pity about your machine though.
    I'm always super-cautious with buying Asian built machines. I spent enough years as an electrician to have worked on heaps and 99% of them left me shaking my head. Some left me bewildered how they could even be let into the country with the state of the electrics on them (ie: your earth connections)
    I worked on a hydraulic pack once and all the control solenoids were INSIDE the oil reservoir, submerged in oil. Beats me to this day how they ever worked and never caught fire. Normally, I wouldn't believe a story like that, but I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    YI worked on a hydraulic pack once and all the control solenoids were INSIDE the oil reservoir, submerged in oil. Beats me to this day how they ever worked and never caught fire. Normally, I wouldn't believe a story like that, but I saw it.
    Isn't it obvious? The oil kept the solenoids cool.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by SAISAY View Post
    I am sorry you spent all that money on a Chinese machine and got, as per usual, ripped off.
    A guy up here in North Queensland build very good machines to your specs and his prices are reasonable.
    MADE IN AUSTRALIA AND BACKED UP WITH AN AUSTRALIAN GUARANTEE.
    Andrew is a member of this forum but I can't remember his last name.
    If you contact "Epineh" he can give you the information as Andrew is a friend of his.
    Well the thing is, I did ask a local person to build one, and this person IMO is probably the best at it within australia (RODM), but his personal circumstances prevented it from happening at the time, which I understand.

I also have the skills to make it myself having made a cnc router and a cnc lathe previously, and I made mine way before it became fashionable persay, the earlier days you had to scrounge up linear rails from used medical beds and so forth alter your design so what you could find worked, not like now where you can peruse a catalog and go yes please one of those. However that aside, I now dont have the time, so I was happy to pay whatever it cost. I had a budget of 10k for this build

There are not many people who have as much insight into this field as Rod does.

So in the end, I sourced an overseas company to make it for me, the problem was the company I dealt with was old school china not new school.

New school china will do anything the can to make you happy, old school china is they get your money and give you what they think is fine for the job.