Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Stephenson's Rocket, 1:24 OcCre Kit

Evening Grant, Your making some excellent progress mate. Thanks for the scale shots, in comparison to your Victory this must seem as though your working on the real engine. The detail on the fire box really stands out and seeing it on the chassis is bringing it all together nicely. Looking forward to further updates mate. Be Good, mobbsie

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks everyone for visiting and for all the encouraging comments. Time for an update.

Next job was to assemble the main pistons. These are constructed from a set of cast white metal parts, and glued together using epoxy. They were painted metal grey using Humbrol #56 after assembly.

31 Pistons 1.jpg

These are then attached to the chassis,along with some valves on top of the boiler:

32 Pistons 2.jpg

And some extra pipework added:

33 Pistons 3.jpg

34 Pistons 4.jpg

35 Pistons 5.jpg

36 Pistons 6.jpg

37 Pistons 7.jpg

More in next post....

Grant

The next major component is the Chimney. A number of pieces for this need to be made from the supplied aluminium sheets. Once again, patterns are provided. I copied these onto sticky label paper and stuck these to the aluminium prior to cutting out with a sharp No.11 Exacto blade and a straight edge. 0.8mm holes were drilled before cutting the shapes out in order to provide a larger handling surface.

38 Funnel 1.jpg

39 Funnel 2.jpg

These were then attached to a length of Ramin dowel, holes re-drilled into the dowel, and shortened brass pins inserted to simulate the rivets.

40 Funnel 3.jpg

After painting black, the chimney was attached to the front of the boiler and lengths of 1.5mm brass rod were cut and bent to shape for the support stays. The name plate was also attached to each side of the boiler. Here’s a few pics of where she’s at now.

41 Funnel 4.jpg

43 Funnel 5.jpg

44 Funnel 6.jpg

Next up, the wheels……but that will have to wait a while as the weekend is over.....

Grant

Hi Grant, I haven't looked in for a while mate and you've made some terrific progress. Looking forward to seeing the mast and sails fitted seriously this is a lovely little build and you are doing it beautifully. Be Good mobbsie

The train is starting to look fantastic now it has some colour to it. The build is top notch as well

Thumbs up

The more I see of this the more I like it!!

Construction: The Wheels
    The wheel assembly is fairly straight forward - at least superficially……
    The wheels themselves are made up of a spoke assembly that is laser cut 5mm plywood, an inner rim from laser cut 3mm plywood, and a “steel” tread that must be cut from the supplied aluminium strip. Rivets in the large wheel rims are simulated in the usual fashion, using the supplied brass nails and cutting off the excess. Here’s what they look like after initial assembly:

45 Wheels 1.jpg

The only tricky part for the wheels was painting them. I chose to use Winsor and Newton Azo Yellow (Deep) for the wooden parts, and as usual Humbrol No 56 for the metal. In the initial painting of the Azo Yellow, I attempted to do this by hand brush. The result was very inconsistent and I found the paint pooled in corners and crevices, and basically looked awful. I decided that there was nothing for it but to strip the paint off and try again, this time using an airbrush. The stripping down was the hard part - especially finding a sanding implement that would get into the tight little “v” sections. However, perseverance won through and after a week of sanding, I was able to airbrush the wheels again. Adding the metal colour by hand was a straight forward job after that and here is the end result:

46 Wheels 2.jpg

The Axles and leaf spring assemblies were then added, the latter being of similar construction to that already described.

47 Axles.jpg

Two further pipes, made from 1.5mm brass and painted “metal” need to be fitted prior to the wheels being installed.

Grant

I've got to say Grant I'm just sitting back and enjoying every moment of your build.
    Just fantastic both in it's craftsmanship and presentation.
    Fine work my friend

Cheers
    Trev.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Ask you said Grant, the wheels seem simple but upon closer looking you sure did have to put in a heap of work and patience to make them look so good, well done sir.... cheers crowie

Default Stephenson's Rocket, 1:24 OcCre Kit

Hi Grant, Superb job mate, she's coming together really nice and very well presented. Just a quickie mate, were the axles already pre cut or did you have to make them out of a piece of dowel. Really looking forward to the day when you can bring her to a full head of steam. Be Good. Tony

Thanks for all the encouraging comments and likes folks.

Tony, the axles on the Engine are pre-formed plastic (the only plastic part of the kit). On the Tender, the axels are made from dowel. Hope to finish off the Engine next weekend and make a start on the Tender.

Cheers,

Grant

Once the additional pipework was fitted (sorry, forgot to take a pic of this bit) it was time to install the wheels, along with the piston arms. And with that, the Engine component is complete. Here are a few overall shots and some close-ups:

48 Engine Complete 1.jpg

49 Engine Complete 2.jpg

50 Engine Complete 3.jpg

51 Engine Complete 4.jpg

52 Engine Complete 5.jpg

53 Engine Complete 6.jpg

With the Engine complete, it's time to start work on the Tender.

Construction: The Tender

Construction commences with the straight forward assembly of the laser-cut plywood carcass:

54 Tender Frame.jpg

The next step will be to cover the carcass with strips of 0.6mm x 5mm Ramin planks, and then add horizontal and vertical supports of 3mm x 5mm Ramin strips. Stay tuned..........

Grant

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by gjdale View Post
    Once the additional pipework was fitted (sorry, forgot to take a pic of this bit) it was time to install the wheels, along with the piston arms. And with that, the Engine component is complete. Here are a few overall shots and some close-ups:

48 Engine Complete 1.jpg

49 Engine Complete 2.jpg

50 Engine Complete 3.jpg

51 Engine Complete 4.jpg

52 Engine Complete 5.jpg

53 Engine Complete 6.jpg

With the Engine complete, it's time to start work on the Tender.

Construction: The Tender

Construction commences with the straight forward assembly of the laser-cut plywood carcass:

54 Tender Frame.jpg

The next step will be to cover the carcass with strips of 0.6mm x 5mm Ramin planks, and then add horizontal and vertical supports of 3mm x 5mm Ramin strips. Stay tuned..........
    That engine looks like it could be the real deal...... very well done Grant..... cheers, crowie

A great build on the engine look forward to the tender

Hi Grant,

Your Rocket looks fantastic !!!

I was originally going to build the Rocket but couldn't find sufficient details. I like to build about 1/5th scale locos - built Trevithick's Peny-Darren, now on the Titfield Thunderbolt (Lion). Really interested in the kit you got - you are a star to find it. I use kits and scale them up and make components. Then go from there. Could you contact me by PM to advise more details, order info and cost etc on the kit you researched and purchased - please.

Your work is great - well done !!

Keith

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast