Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Christmas Gift Ideas - Everyones Input

Normally when I get around to thinking of making something for Christmas as a gift, the actual date has already passed. Sometimes we need a little push or inspiration that will spark our creativity.

This year I am thinking that I might actually get to make something before the actual date. And I figured that there might be others out there that also need a little inspiration.

So I want people to post photos of their past Christmas gifts that they made for someone. How they went about making it and what challenges they faced. Does not matter what is it, weather you turned the item on the lathe, used chisels and planes for flat work, carved out a sculpture, used machinery, made something out of metal, welded something, used plastic or even leather.

It does not matter what you used or what material you made it from or even if you had posted it on this forum in the past. Post a photo again in this thread, it just might inspire someone to make something.

Those of us that are time restricted might just be able to complete before the 25th of December. And after the 25th of December it would be nice to see what people made.

I would also expect that some might have already started and concluded an item and it might not be a good idea if that was posted on the forum before it was given to the intended person.

Just over two months to go before Christmas.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Damn I thought you were taking orders for OUR Christmas gifts .

Basicly if its been made during the year and its worth giving as a gift and the right person deserves it they get it. I match the gift to the persons needs.............rolling pins, fruit bowl, decorative bowl, pen/s, vase.

Now some look at this as a cheap gift in other words no real value. I t was pointed out that one gift I gave to a family member I had been offered $160 for at a wood show .

Its strange though how gifts bought at some cheap bargain stores made in Asia for $2 seem to have more appeal

I know what I am buying Fletty for Christmas this year he needs them desperately http://tomsworkbench.com/2011/06/22/...thers-ruffled/

Ray,

Who do you give rolling pins to.....MIL

Christos,

Try the reverse....send them a piece of timber and see what comes back.....

Unfortunately I haven't taken many photos of these items but some of the things we have been making at the RSL Care weekly mens gathering might suit.
    These items will be sold at their annual fete next month.

Tea Candle holders
    There are several designs based on drilling holes in wood using a large forester bits to hold the small cheap glass tea candle holders ($5 for a dozen) from iIkea.
    - gum leaf shapes made out of Jarrajh floor board off cuts.

Those in the picture below are some I made out of WA reg gum firewood a few years ago
    Using the Ikea glass candle holder inserts is a bit safer

Christmas Gift Ideas -  Everyones Input-gumleaves-jpg

- If you look at the gum leaf shapes above you can see how they could be cut as YingYang shapes.
    We made them out of pine and Jarrah as contrasting pieces.
    - small cookies (cross sections) of branches
    - taller sections of branches.

Sliding and swing top pencil cases made out of scrap ply.

Puzzles
    - chinese checker styles based on pieces of loose dowel slotted into in patterns of holes in wooden blocks
    - This unfinished pythagorean puzzle apparently can be made in 268 different ways.

Christmas Gift Ideas -  Everyones Input-puzzlebox-jpg
    Christmas Gift Ideas -  Everyones Input-puzzlebox2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a carving of my wife's family crest, presented to her father '10.
    crest b.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Damn I thought you were taking orders for OUR Christmas gifts .
    Gee Christos, I'll be happy with whatever you decide to make for me, THANK YOU... not anything too big or extravagant; just some nicely figured timber turned on your lathe say into a little dish............................Cheers, crowie

Since family re-unions at xmas time can bring out the best in all that a happy family is, they can also bring out the worst in the form of arguments.
    Why not give that some one special an edge if your family is prone to the odd quarrel.
    2009_01280002.jpg
    Might just trump a rolling pin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bleeder View Post
    Ray,

Who do you give rolling pins to.....MIL

Christos,

Try the reverse....send them a piece of timber and see what comes back.....

As MiL is 90 yrs and in nursing home I'm safe ............

Gave one to daughter last year.
    Made one for Fletty's ex-SiL have to make 3 more now LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by rob streeper View Post
    This is a carving of my wife's family crest....
    How long did it take you to complete the carving?

In the past I've done a blackboard and sandpit for my little monster, but this year I'm hoping to do a bunch of nicer things for adults...a jewellery box, some rustic photo/mirror frames, little keepsake boxes and whatever else I can come up with in a very short time.

I'm also thinking about doing Steve Ramsey's Plinko toy in between doing super finishes on the above ideas.

I've landed a lot of really nice blackwood off-cuts from work, and a gorgeous length of heavy birdseye bw too, so I'm hoping to do a few little things with it all.

Time will tell...

...and so far all it tells is that I don't have time for personal hygiene let alone making masterpieces
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    How long did it take you to complete the carving?
    It was my first and so far only venture into carving. I stretched the process out over about 8 months, consuming probably about a week of effort. Ebony is some hard carving.

I've done a few rolling pins, a barometer and some chopping boards which always go well but recently I've had a go at toy planes. They seem to be a hit for a few friends young boys.

wooden_plane.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
    I've done a few rolling pins, a barometer and some chopping boards which always go well but recently I've had a go at toy planes. They seem to be a hit for a few friends young boys.

wooden_plane.jpg
    G'Day Lewis, Yep Pee hand made wooden toys.....Please add a new thread to the toymaking section as your beaut little plane is tops..Cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by rob streeper View Post
    It was my first and so far only venture into carving. I stretched the process out over about 8 months, consuming probably about a week of effort. Ebony is some hard carving.
    A week's effort? Well done.

I always find that picture frames are generally well received.

They are easy to make and you can use some really nice timber because you don't need huge pieces to make them.

Mat boards and backing boards are pretty cheap to get on ebay and glass is economical as well. To make it even cheaper you can use recycled timber.

I have some before and during pics here of two recycled redgum frames . I haven't got a finished pic just yet. Sorry about the picture quality, they are from my phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast