Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ouch!

Gentleman Fletty,

That's going to make a nice scar.

Hope all goes well and don't start chasing the hand physios (they have a saturday morning job in a butcher shop).

Get well, and you will learn how to type without using that finger. Keep the photos comming.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The op went ahead today, now home safe ....and typing at 50% with only one finger!
    graft taken from underside of forearm half way to elbow.
    Docs confirmed that there's no damage to tendons so full recovery is expected, but I'm expecting it quicker than they are, chairs finished end Nov, marble topped Colonial dresser by Christmas....
    fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    The op went ahead today, now home safe ....and typing at 50% with only one finger!
    graft taken from underside of forearm half way to elbow.
    Docs confirmed that there's no damage to tendons so full recovery is expected, but I'm expecting it quicker than they are, chairs finished end Nov, marble topped Colonial dresser by Christmas....
    fletty
    Good to hear Alan.... looking forward to catching up on the 2nd at Katoomba....

Alan thats good news

I am sure a few drops of red might help between now and Christmas...........not so much the healing but the pain. I suppose a month off for recovery was not even mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by I_wanna_Shed View Post
    .....My question is..... Can you over tighten a router collet? ....
    Yes you can over tighten, but that does not mean to under tighten.

........ If I am deprived of woodwork I may be found hanging around YOUR sheds sniffing the sawdust!
    fletty
    You are most welcome.

nah, I've got 3 daughters and drive a Landrover, I THRIVE on adrenalin!

Fletty
    There is always a good side, at least it is not over three, like seven or eight.

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    .... If the recovery does drag on we might have to swing the volunteer crew into action.
    I would be fine with doing the sanding.

Just caught this thread and yes the Pun was intended. Hope you do have a quick recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Hi,
    The latest Tritons come with the better collet. A separate one for each size, half inch and quarter inch in Australia, no need for adaptor sleeves.
    Regards
    I have seen some new TRA001 routers at Carbatec with the old style chuck. The smaller Triton routers started to come out with the newer style chuck.
    Les

just saw this
    ouch is a bit of an understatement
    glad to hear the op has happened
    hoping for a quick recovery
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    I have seen some new TRA001 routers at Carbatec with the old style chuck. The smaller Triton routers started to come out with the newer style chuck.
    Les
    Hi,
    I am going by my own experience, see https://www.woodworkforums.com/f15/changing-tra001-171879.
    Collets are available in half inch, quarter inch, 12mm, 8mm and 6mm, different ones come as standard in different markets, but I suppose some old ones may still be about.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Hi Fletty,
    I haven't forgotten what this thread is about.
    I hope you have a comfortable recovery.
    My own experience with skin graft was in 1967. I got a couple of 550 volt electrical burns on the back of my right hand, the patch was taken from the front of my left thigh. The patch was more painful than the injury because it was so thin all the nerves were still left, unlike the third degree burns but worst of all, when I was hobbling around with a bandaged leg I could not straighten and arm in a sling every one thought I had smashed my car, as I was into sports cars and motor sport in those days.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Hi Fletty,
    I haven't forgotten what this thread is about.
    I hope you have a comfortable recovery.
    My own experience with skin graft was in 1967. I got a couple of 550 volt electrical burns on the back of my right hand, the patch was taken from the front of my left thigh. The patch was more painful than the injury because it was so thin all the nerves were still left, unlike the third degree burns but worst of all, when I was hobbling around with a bandaged leg I could not straighten and arm in a sling every one thought I had smashed my car, as I was into sports cars and motor sport in those days.
    Regards
    electric shocks AND motor sport.......

........... A Duke of Hazard?

As you know, the graft donor site seems to hurt more than the injury. I guess that's the body's shock and pain management system working for us?
    All OK here, no physio required and I'm busting to get back into the shed in a week or so although I'm going to finish the radius on the seat frames on the belt sander NOT the router. I'll also pull the router out of the lifter and give it a good check over but especially the collet.

fletty

Default "Ouch" free advice ( Worth what you pay for it)!

Hello Fletty,

I feel your pain, and see that you are keen to get back in action. FWIW about 20 yrs ago, I came home found the house freezing, and the kids decorating the couch. Hit the woodheap to split some Coonara feed, (with the recently sharpened Plumb axe). Got grumpy with a billet that would not split, realigned the grain, and gave it heaps! Split the billet, AND the chopping block, and the extensor tendon in left foot.
    The foot surgeon said 7 weeks off. I knew better, back at work in 3 weeks, and bashed the crook big toe (open toed cast) on the under side of clutch of 4WD. Result was second op, grumpy surgeon, and 13 weeks off. Take it steady mate, you have to trust those docs!

Cheers Fletty, it's a terrible wound, but keep obeying (within reason). Your Forum mates & me I am sure are all concerned ad wish you best of luck, Redbog, AKA Harry Taylor

Thank you for your wishes Harry. I haven't been able to do much in the shed and luckily can do a lot of my paid work on the phone so I'm OK so far. I've (sort of) re-enacted the accident (with the power off!) and realise now how close I was to the router continuing down the thumb side of my index finger and taking the thumb off.
    I have been given a lesson!
    In addition to the router checks, I'll make up a few jigs to hold small work at the router and, as I spend a lot of time alone in the shed, I'd better rig up some sort of alarm ....or get a dog?
    thanks again, fletty

The alone in the shed is what gets me worried

If I did something, say before lunch, nobody'd know until son come home at about 3:45
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Hope the op works out for you Fletty.

I'm not that big of a router used but all this brings up the question, why don't router tables have a transparent overhead guard?
    Something adjustable in height connected by T bolts to the fence.
    You may not even need to be using a fence but it could be used just to hold the guard above the cutter.
    It just needs to be big enough to cover the router tool and stop fingers from getting to it.
    I realise it wouldn't be able to be used in every case but in most cases where fingers can get close it would help that sort of injury.

ouch!-routerguard-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast