Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ever used Geckos to combat borer ?

I'm serious.

I watched this vigilant gecko on the window devour 3 bugs in about a minute. And I thought, I really need a bloke like that to protect my timber, cause it seems the only way to kill borer without chemicals is during just those few days its OUT of the wood. When its got wings, trying to mate and laying eggs.

considering maybe learning how to breed geckos and let them loose around the timber.

Know anything about geckos ? …… Do geckos dislike camphor ?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Not exactly Gecko relevant, but years ago when we first moved to our acre we bought one of those Zappa lights. When the ants swarmed the light zapped thousands. A consequence of all of the "toasted" ants was that the toads turned up. The "best" toad count was 32, made it really easy to scoop them up and dispose of that pest to the point that in a few weeks we had cleaned them out to 1 or 2 per night and some nights none at all.

I know the zapper attracts the bugs but if you persist the area does seem to be cleared of bugs and toads.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Not exactly Gecko relevant, but years ago when we first moved to our acre we bought one of those Zappa lights. When the ants swarmed the light zapped thousands. A consequence of all of the "toasted" ants was that the toads turned up. The "best" toad count was 32, made it really easy to scoop them up and dispose of that pest to the point that in a few weeks we had cleaned them out to 1 or 2 per night and some nights none at all.

I know the zapper attracts the bugs but if you persist the area does seem to be cleared of bugs and toads.

Hope it helps.
    strangley I think, sometimes apparent off topic thoughts help solve problems….so uno, keep em coming. cheers.

So the Zappers serendipity was it got rid of toads as well as what it was designed for doing.

Its almost like, to get rid of bugs I need to put up with another pest. Spose, thats why I like geckos…..their cool. not at all like ugly misunderstood wart covered toads.

Geckos may only have eyes for certain types of bugs anyway. It may not even blink when a borer bug flys past. And when it comes to shifting the timber I'll probably end up just squashing a ton of geckos, putting a bad feeling into the room. Cause a particularly bad karma drama that'll take years to shrug off.

If only the birds would eat the bugs.

So which type of bird will be attacking borers?

Bob's post reminded me of when we lived in PNG. The insects used to congregate around the outside lights, and the geckos used to congregate there to dine on the insects.

You may be better off getting a pet echidna, though. They love termites.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

whatever it is , its gota be able to fish around in-between the slabs. Thin enough to get into a gap bout 25mm. I don't know how long a echidnas tongue goes.

And its gota be ok with camphor as well. Because thats what I intend to make the dividing sticks from, cause camphor apparently has some affect on some bugs.

I was thinking ants ! …….. not wood eating ants…… just the regular little black buggers. Could see them getting into some of the holes to fish out the grubs. And they don't hold back on anything.

I like birds, but they'll probably crap everywhere.