Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quiet air compressor - Chicago Hush

Does anyone know anything about these...

https://sydneytools.com.au/chicago-h...air-compressor

I haven't been able to google any other information.

The ad says "silenced" but I think it is just the design, multiple small compressors that reduces the noise.

I currently have a big 3hp unit in my workshop - I need ear protection when I use it. I had to move it to the otherside of the room because its vibrations effected the finish on my cnc router.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

I'm interested in what people might have to say about this one too. 69 db would be pretty good (you could talk over that I think). Couple of other pluses on the maintenance side too.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by ftkalcevic View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these...
    https://sydneytools.com.au/chicago-h...air-compressor
    I haven't been able to google any other information.
    The ad says "silenced" but I think it is just the design, multiple small compressors that reduces the noise.
    I currently have a big 3hp unit in my workshop - I need ear protection when I use it. I had to move it to the otherside of the room because its vibrations effected the finish on my cnc router.
    It's not that difficult to build a noise reducing enclosure for a compressor.
    Better still is if you can locate the compressor outside your shed and retic the air around to a couple of points inside your shed.
    Have a look at this - https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...82#post1378982
    If you decide to make one make sure you allow for an upgrade. I've managed to shoehorn a 4HP 3Phase compressor into my enclosure.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Btw, it's a good idea to thoroughly check any specs published by ST. Even within the spec for the Chicago they contradict themselves (42.5 kg dry weight, then further down 35kg net weight). It wouldn't be the first time I've observed such things - their attention to detail could be a little better.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

I seems to be similar to the model offered by California Airtools in the state (http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...t-10020-22060/) although they use steel tanks. There are more noise comparison videos on youtube.

I wish some in Oz sold those upright models. My workshop floor space is at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    It's not that difficult to build a noise reducing enclosure for a compressor.
    Better still is if you can locate the compressor outside your shed.
    Unfortunately these are both not an option. An enclosure would just make it bigger. And outside would be right next to the neighbours (my work shop is the back room of a unit - neighbours right next door)

Unfortunately these are both not an option. An enclosure would just make it bigger. And outside would be right next to the neighbours (my work shop is the back room of a unit - neighbours right next door)
    It's not just an external enclosure, its an acoustical enclosure so the noise is reduced to about the same as my neighbours pool pump.

Honestly, how many hours of continuous duty does the compressor have to operate every day?
    Even a simple foam-lined helmet over the motor head should cut the sound to 1/4.

I moonlighted for 20 years in stagecraft. Much of it was detailed airbursh painting and airbrush (Dinair) makeup.
    I can blast up a bird for a night on the town in less than 10 minutes. Hallowe'en body painting takes a while.
    (Women really get off on stainless steel paint/makeup.)
    Most of the time, I had to be a spook = silent & productive, my shop, off stage/studio or back stage
    during a performance.

Hospital-grade regulator and a 2/3-size bottle of 3000psi nitrogen and I could work at my ease.
    Any compressor with any sound was not an option at all.

Default 55dba

I have one of these http://www.gasweld.com.au/594140-toolex
    It is rated at 55dba, which is quiet enough to have a conversation a metre away with it going without problems. It is probably smaller than what you are after, but my main use is for small nailers and staplers, plus a bit of general de-dusting. There are a couple of larger units in the same range with a similar noise rating.
    You could consider hooking up one of these to your existing receiving tank to give you better capacity before it cycles in, effectively giving you a duplicate system that only used the bigger compressor motor when doing larger consumption jobs such as spraying or using large air grinder types of tools.
    A friend bought the same one as mine, he uses it for piercing thin wooden bowls with a dentist type drill. His old one used to drive him nuts with the noise it made when it kicked in, now he can work for ages without the neighbours knowing he is even in the shed.

This might not be a solution for you, but may lead you into something appropriate.

Good luck with your searching,

Alan...

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    Honestly, how many hours of continuous duty does the compressor have to operate every day?
    Even a simple foam-lined helmet over the motor head should cut the sound to 1/4. .
    Even if it only operates for a short period your suggestion is a really good way to eventually cook the motor, and the pump won't like it either.
    If it has to operate continuously then it is a sure route to catastrophic failure
    Quietening a compressor is not as easy as it sounds because it must have cooling air supplied and hot air removed.
    But an enclosure and a baffled entry and fan forced vent is not rocket science and can make it work very well.
    The cost is dependent on your ability at finding acoustic materials at low or zero prices.

Mine has 32 mm think tassie oak walls and 50 mm foam on the walls/doors and ceiling.
    A 12V computer fan provides sufficient air circulation through a simple air baffle.

I have the biggest silenced compressor of what Chicago Pneumatics has to offer, the 7.5kw/500 litre tank. It's different to the one you are talking about. I think the model the op has posted is oiless? Bear in mind any oiless compressor has its own problem. Unless u going to throw it away in a few years. Why not go with a smaller silenced piston compressor. Mine measures 60db at 3 metres. Ambient was 34-35 db
    image.jpg
    SCM L'Invincibile si X, SCM L'Invincibile S7, SCM TI 145EP, SCM Sandya Win 630, Masterwood OMB1V, Meber 600, Delta RJ42, Nederman S750, Chicago Pneumatics CPRS10500, Ceccato CDX12

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I think the model the op has posted is oiless? Bear in mind any oiless compressor has its own problem.
    Actually, that was the direction I was hoping my question was going to lead. My current compressor is belt drive. I've heard about direct drive. Is the listed compressor just another direct drive variant? Is oilless something different?

Thanks,
    Frank

Actually, that was the direction I was hoping my question was going to lead. My current compressor is belt drive. I've heard about direct drive. Is the listed compressor just another direct drive variant? Is oilless something different?

Thanks,
    Frank
    I think the oiless is different, it doesnt have drive belt, the oiless has its limit, like, it wont be able to do high CFM, the oilless is suitable for occasional use only...

A standard piston compressor with proper dryer and filter is best way to go in long run if duty cycle is not a concern, but you are looking at $$$.

here is a closeup of a similar product.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-re...-793100792.htm
    SCM L'Invincibile si X, SCM L'Invincibile S7, SCM TI 145EP, SCM Sandya Win 630, Masterwood OMB1V, Meber 600, Delta RJ42, Nederman S750, Chicago Pneumatics CPRS10500, Ceccato CDX12

I know that this is an old thread, but in the interests of anyone that finds their way here via google, or that might be otherwise interested, I just took delivery of the Chicago Hush 150 / 3Hp 19cfm compressor as pictured from Sydney tools.

compressor.jpg

I think the Chicago brand carried by Sydney tools might be different to the Chicago Pneumatics brand mentioned above. At any rate, the damn thing is the quietest compressor I've ever heard.........even in a small 3m x 3m room i could probably talk on the phone standing right next to it. 4 motors, all mounted on rubber mounts with 4 individual mufflers and inlet tubes = very pleasingly quiet. I got it on special for $1600, so if you are looking at around that budget...or less but then spending money on building enclosures etc, I'd definitely give this one a look.

My only grumble is the manual is utterly woeful, the worst 'Chinglish' manual I've ever read....basically you have to figure it out for yourself, but it's not terribly complicated.

Now who wants to buy my 90db Aldi 50L 5cfm screamingly loud compressor?

Fitting a muffler to the intake of a compressor can often make a significant reduction in the noise that it makes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast