Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Liquid Glass

Cool Liquid Glass

Is there someone in the Brisbane metro area who could do a liquid glass type finish to a couple of small boxes? I just can't get a satisfactory finish myself.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome to the forum.

I have not done it myself so can not comment on the process and what to be aware of. But I am curious as to what problems are having.

I have also used this system with limited sucess, from memory i think they recommend the use of a poly u sealer before applying the mix which would certainly help on certain types of timber. Oh lots of air bubbles also so a small blow torch is handy

My problem has been getting air bubbles. No matter how carefully I apply the coat they still appear. I have used a heat gun over the surface like what was suggested to no avail.
    if I keep trying I am concerned that I might start damaging the edges when sanding back.

If I can't find a forum member who would do it for a fee I will have to look for a professional who does it for a living. Either way I am struggling to find someone. Any suggestions?

have you tried a flame, as opposed to a heat gun i found this helps but not 100%. Careful mixing also i pour A and B into the mix pot similtaniously in a small stream to try and minimise stirring as i find most of the air bubbles appear at this stage. All i can suggest is maybe practice on a bit of scrap prepared the same way as your finished article. regards Joel

May be way off topic, friends have a sign printing business and one day they were doing a batch of car logo badges with a domed acrylic face (think spider in gear knob style).
    anyhow slave #1 was using a drinking straw to blow out all the tiny little air bubbles. Painstaking process but it worked.
    cheers

Default Application

I used to have all sorts of problems with air bubbles etc, tried heat guns, even used a gas axe once (not recommended).

I find best results if I lay down a sealer coat first, I mix up a small qty of resin and apply thin layer. Remove air bubbles (see comment below) Sand with 1200 grit to so next layer will bind, then apply final coat.

Air Bubbles - I now use a small butane solder torch, with the end removed so naked flame. On lowest setting, gentle "wipe" over the air bubble and it's gone. I normally do this after about 15 minutes then every 20 minutes until first hour. Sounds longer than what it takes. Good excuse to have a beer and admire the finish.

Blowing air over the bubbles, more or less parallel to the surface, creates a low pressure region to pop the bubbles. Best done immediately; no need to wait 15 or 20 minutes.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain