Hi all,

I'm a complete novice at all things renovation so would love some objective guidance!

We have a 1950s weatherboard with steel windows that we want replaced. We've been quoted for aluminium replacements by two companies but don't know which one would be the best.

Option 1: Stegbar - they will completely remove the old windows and replace with aluminium, which will include removing the existing internal timber sill. Our only concern with this is whether it will damage the weatherboards on the outside and the plastering inside because of the flashing. They've been very coy about what their quote covers in terms of damage. The last thing we want is a gap around our windows or cracked plaster.

Option 2: local company - this is a 'replacement' which a few companies seem to offer for steel windows. They remove the guts but keep the frame and cover it with aluminium architraves. The photos they've showed us look pretty slick and it means we keep the internal sill which I like from an aesthetic perspective.

I guess the other thing I find boggling is when we got the quote for the 'replacement' they said it would be significantly cheaper than replacing the entire window - and yet it came back $1000 more than Stegbar?!

Thanks in advance!

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....