Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How much more saw do you really get...

Hey guys another question to the experienced masters.

Well I think I'm done with my little ryobi toy table saw, I've mod'ed it about as much as I can to try and get it to generate accurate cuts, so far its got a modified splitter, resurfaced (man talk about sanding) table, cross cut sled and out-feed table. I have to say being able to cut 6mm by 12mm Jarrah slides that where accurate was an accomplishment in its own rights given what I had to work with the the lack of a zero clearance insert and woefully underpowered motor. The saw is more of a lightsabre in that given anything tougher then balsa it seems to just burn it way through regardless of feed speeds or clean blade, it hasn't seen a great deal of action all up.

that being said if I turn it on again I'm pretty sure the neighbours will help me out with its dismantling as it sounds like a jet engine mating with a Tassie Devil.

so my question after that rambles is this. Between the Carbatec MJ2325CT and TSC-10HB how much extra saw do you really get?

I want a saw that is

Pretty accurate with out being crazy accurate.
    Compatible with a Biesemyer style fence system
    Not sound like a jet engine in the heat of passion
    Powerful enough for ripping and cross cutting of some of the harder Aussie woods
    Solid, would prefer to sacrifice immobility over anything else.
    Basically a good mid range one.

If anyone can also recommend on around a similar price range I'd be happy to look into it.

Thanks guys

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/h...0t30-tablesaw/

Not sure if there is a dealer for them on your side of the country but these look really nice at a fairly reasonable price. I was looking at buying one until picked up a second hand Laguna Platinum which is nearly identical and is supposed to come out of the same factory. The one I went and had a look at was very tidy. Another plus is it is fitted with a riving knife which neither of the carbatec machines have.

A few quick things I noticed when I changed to my Laguna from a contractors saw
    - Quiet, I can have it running and continue to talk without having to shout.
    - Solid (heavy), there is next to no vibration anywhere but on a mobile base and a decent floor its still easy to move.
    - A lot more accurate though part of tat can be attributed to getting some decent blades.

As for difference between the carbatec saws, the TSC-10HB can take a small dado stack and 3 belts instead of 1 so it will have a better power transfer from the motor.

Regards
    Jack

A couple of comments.
    The "sounding like a jet engine" can be as much the type of blade and if you use a narrow throat plate so this is something you can deal with later.

Something else to consider is dust collection
    Even on very expensive saws I haven't seen a single overhead guard dust collector that I would call even close to satisfactory
    Most only have 4" dust ports - this is hopeless so be prepared to take to it with an angle grinder.

Thanks guys,

Yeah Bob was thinking the same thing in regards to dust and have seen that most people have Modified their systems to suit I am prepared to do similarly if needed. I was going to have a look at an overarm guard and extractor after I played with the new saw for a bit, also have some ideas for extractor built into my next cross cut sled As far as sound goes the jet engine is when its turns on and the Tassie devil comes once you start to feed in material, but I see your point in regards to quality blades and there performance.

Anyone payed around with sound deadening steel blades? cant remember where I saw one in action but it did make a lot of difference in cutting sound levels.

Hi skara.

Having owned a MJ2325 for about 5 or 6 years i would be inclined to go for the TSC-10HB.

I have had issues with dust extraction (very ordinary), a twisted fence, a top that is not very flat, rubbish mitre gauge and an insert design that makes home made zero clearance inserts difficult to make.

Its a very heavy, solidly constructed and quiet machine ( I too upgraded from a Ryobi saw, and it is soooo much quieter) but all these niggles make it a frustrating machine to use and to get any sort of accurate results from.

If i could turn back time i would have gone for the TSC-10HB instead. I stupidly chose to ignore all the good reviews the TSC-10HB was getting on this forum and now i am paying the price.

Steven.