Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Pearo View Post
    ...I might just by a second hand carbatec jointer and put in a helical cutter.....
    I have been scanning Gumtree and Ebay daily for the last 6 months and the only reason I got this one was through my wife's negotiating skills. She can be like a bull terrier when she gets a hold of something. But of course the market is not so big in SA.

John

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Mehrdad

Hi guys,
    I am new member, same as you I was tossing between Laguna and Powermatic, I checked Powermatic at Carba-Tec, nice machine but I order Laguna base on my Band saw which I have no problem with it, plus you get one hors power extra on Laguna and mobility, to me these two machine are very similar and I believe both are from same manufacturer in Taiwan, this is my second time I buying from Gregory machinery happy with they service, any ways when I get mine by end of September will let you know about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrdad View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am new member, same as you I was tossing between Laguna and Powermatic, I checked Powermatic at Carba-Tec, nice machine but I order Laguna base on my Band saw which I have no problem with it, plus you get one hors power extra on Laguna and mobility, to me these two machine are very similar and I believe both are from same manufacturer in Taiwan, this is my second time I buying from Gregory machinery happy with they service, any ways when I get mine by end of September will let you know about it
    How convenient. New user, 2 posts, both talking up Gregory machinery.

Default Mehrdad

I don' know what are you trying to say mate, I am some one like you, couldn't find any reviews for the jointer and base on my experience last year I went for Laguna, and Gregory machinery are the sales agency for Laguna in Australia and the only reason I post it, I notice you are looking for a jointer since 11 months ago and price of the jointer up by $800, my research started 4 weeks ago and been advise by Bill who is long time member of this forums and recently start work for Gregory to check this forums before order you can see his nice review on 10"Fusion table saw on this pages
    So believe me my friend there is nothing except some one opinion on the jointer

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrdad View Post
    I don' know what are you trying to say mate, I am some one like you, couldn't find any reviews for the jointer and base on my experience last year I went for Laguna, and Gregory machinery are the sales agency for Laguna in Australia and the only reason I post it, I notice you are looking for a jointer since 11 months ago and price of the jointer up by $800, my research started 4 weeks ago and been advise by Bill who is long time member of this forums and recently start work for Gregory to check this forums before order you can see his nice review on 10"Fusion table saw on this pages
    So believe me my friend there is nothing except some one opinion on the jointer
    All good champ. I have made 3 visits to Greg machinery now, so getting used to their typical sales routine. Just thought it was odd that a new user popped up promoting laguna at the exact same time I questioned them because of that typical sales technique just as I was about to pay a deposit on the machine. Just bought a second hand machine of Bill, so I know he is a good bloke, I just dont trust his boss.

Default Mehrdad

Hi Pearo,
    well done mate finally you got your machine good luck with it, can you please let us know which one you bough
    about Bills boss I have no idea, I deal with John over the phone last year over my band saw (I live in Adelaide), even with Bill he wasn't going to give me any discount til I told them I will get the Powermatic with 10% off from CARBA-TEC which I was so close to do that, than Bill drop the price and we made the deal, the both machine are very similar
    I hope I made a right decision because I couldn't find any reviews on Laguna jointer except the one on you tube which the guy unpacking his machine and speck French and he says few times top notch
    Any ways I have to wait and see what I get, like when you buy a watermelon out side look good but you don't know how is inside except for the jointer I pay lots of money
    Wood workers in Australia don't have many choices, that's why Carba-Tec or Gregory do whatever suitable for them for example changing price every 3 months
    all the best with your jointer

Was looking forward to getting the jointer tomorrow and having a play but the guy is at the woodworking show in Melbourne. Dang!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Yanis View Post
    Was looking forward to getting the jointer tomorrow and having a play but the guy is at the woodworking show in Melbourne. Dang!

John
    Make sure you give us an update.

Seems Gregory machinery has wiped me, wont answer my emails now. I spoke to carbatec about the powermatic and they have 3 shipments, the first one is taken, and the second is (from memory) 5 machines, the third for 10 machines next year.

If you read the US websites, they all say that laguna has poor support, and that powermatic is well supported. But most push the grizzly, which from what I can tell is the same as the carbatec. No reports from Aussie users though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearo View Post
    Make sure you give us an update.

... No reports from Aussie users though.
    Will do. I'll give it a thorough going over in the first couple of weeks. I have some heavy work for it to do. From the looks I think it has not seen a lot of work. The guy I am buying it from is a hobbyist and it is on its original edges.

I am picking up a second hand kitchen later in the week and will try and arrange a pickup when I have the truck. That is the plan at this stage.

Well I hired a truck (at least my wife hired a truck) to transport a granite top kitchen that she picked up second hand. I booked yesterday and today on leave and we picked the truck up at 6 on Wednesday night (after the Bunnings trade opening event at Seaford). I then grabbed my son and went to pick up the jointer.

I could not wait to try it out and took some bandsawed logs and surfaced the sawn face. Worked a treat. I have been refurbishing a pretty rough work bench into a nice slab top woodwork bench and I have a glue up for the front apron. I just finished surfacing one side and except for a very small amount of tear out where the grain on one of the boards in in the wrong direction it came up perfectly surfaced. The tear out is only near one end - no big deal. The glue up is just on 8" and the fence does not move completely out of the way so there was a few mm over the edge of the head. However a few strokes of the block plane easily cleaned up the ridge.

The fence is dead easy to adjust with a lateral securing lever and an angle securing lever with graduations and a 90 deg set pin. The infeed table is also very easy to adjust with a large lever handle and a securing lever with a height scale. I have not checked the setup but the trip down was fairly easy and we had the lift on the truck so it was more or less wheeled onto the truck then wheeled off.

Having only had a short time to use it I am really happy with it but time will tell. I will submit a more thorough review when I get more use.

I bit the bullet and bought the laguna. Gets delivered next week I think. Lets hope I made the right decision.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123