Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New Irwins are JUNK!

Amongst the dodgy irwins, I have a 30yo clamp, German made but not sure of the brand - still going strong and will outlast all the irwins I have I bet.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Bob

Your experience with Irwin Quickgrips has been very different than mine. My QuickGrips range in age from about ten years to bought last month and were variously made in USA, France or China. Apart from the latter only having the "made in China" logo only on the packaging and not on the tools, I cannot tell the difference. None of mine have rusted and slippage has not been a problem. The only issue is that I have lost a couple of trigger springs when rearranging the clamp-bar to use as a holdfast or spreader.

My collection includes XP1000, Standard (or Quick Change)300 & 600 and Mini150 & 300. These are rated at clamping pressures of 272, 140 and 80 kilograms respectively. In practice I have never needed the clamping pressure of the XP's although the longer bars are sometimes handy. Up to a length of 300 mm, after which the bars flex, the Minis are usually fine and very cost effective.

The Mini150's are routinely listed at $14-18 each, which I think is rather expensive. However, every six months or so they are put on special in BigChains in four-packs for $29.95 - equivalent to $7.50 each which is the cost of no-name junk F-clamps at superdiscounters. Just wait until the price is right! {Until 2 years ago, the fourpacks were $19.95, but I suspect that era has passed.}

Fair Winds

Graeme

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12