Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Portable spiral cutter Thicknessers

Hi there,

I've read with interest some of the posts on thicknessers although there doesnt seem to be many threads on the new spiral cutter thicknessers in the portable range. I have my eyes on either the Hafco Woodmaster T-13S $627 (patented helical cutter head) and the Carba-Tec CT-330X (spiral head) $680 on special. Being a hobbyist and having limited space I have decided to go portable and not spend too much money. I have not owned Hafco/Carba-Tec previously. I am interested in any of your experiences with the brands, build quality, reliability etc. A couple things I noticed was that the Carba-Tec is 38kg and has option of Tungsten blades, Hafco is 30kg and there is only mention of HSS inserts. Both are 2.4hp.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/comments.

Cheers, Bill

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I just bought a carbatec one yesterday. I got a carbatec 15" model that I am going to move on I think. Bought the CTX-330X because it was on special and because it takes up less room than my current one.

Build quality looks good, but I am yet to fire it up. I was a little late home yesterday to try it out. Watch this space.

Hi banter, this topic has been addressed many times on this forum. Just do a search of spiral thicknessers, Hafco etc , and you will be surprised at the valuable informatiom there. I once saw an excellent detailed review of the CT-330X by a woodwork teacher on the forum, giving exactly the info you need. Seek and ye shall find
    regards,

Dengy

Thanks Pearo and Dengue I'll do another search!If any others feel like adding any comments I'm especially interested in people's thoughts on Hafco. I know nothing about them and would like to know about their reputation generally..Cheers

Bill, searches rarely work well inside the forum, somtimes you will do better with a google search with the same subject, but add wood working forums to the search. I think that is how it goes.

Regardless of that, this is perhaps going to be heaven for you, go to this thread, then click on the PDF and I think all of your questions will be answered.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f171/carbatec-13-inch-thicknesser-review-171260

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by banter View Post
    Hi there,

I've read with interest some of the posts on thicknessers although there doesnt seem to be many threads on the new spiral cutter thicknessers in the portable range. I have my eyes on either the Hafco Woodmaster T-13S $627 (patented helical cutter head) and the Carba-Tec CT-330X (spiral head) $680 on special. Being a hobbyist and having limited space I have decided to go portable and not spend too much money. I have not owned Hafco/Carba-Tec previously. I am interested in any of your experiences with the brands, build quality, reliability etc. A couple things I noticed was that the Carba-Tec is 38kg and has option of Tungsten blades, Hafco is 30kg and there is only mention of HSS inserts. Both are 2.4hp.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/comments.

Cheers, Bill
    Yes when you find the review it is very enlightening. Recently I purchased the Carbatec model with the spiral head cutter and so far I can't fault it from a hobbyist view. However the other day it was time to check clean and rotate the cutters, which all went well until I found that you need a torque wrench in inch pounds. So I bought a Norbar Model TTi20 which has a range from 10 - 180 inch pounds per foot in 3/8" drive. You will need this because the allen head screws have to be tightened to between 48 - 50 inch pounds per foot.
    As for performance for what I do it's brilliant.
    Cheers Alby

Onya Optimark, that is the review I could not find!
    regards,

Dengy

Optimark/Albi yes after a bit of searching I ended up finding that review - what a great resource. I have decided to get a carba-tec... Thanks

I was going to fire mine up yesterday, but got the with the mess in my garage and started cleaning up instead. I really, really need my shed built. Hoping it gets approved in the next few weeks.

Good Morning Bill

Do not have first hand experience with those particular machines, so cannot comment directly.

However, one of the benefits of spiral cutters are that they are much quieter than strait cutters and the noise is even more pleasant. Have a look at this Felder video that actually measures the difference.
    http://www.felder-group-australia.co...tterblock.html

Yeah, I cannot afford Felder either!

Fair Winds

Graeme

They look like great machines and surely would be a step up from my cheep old 2 blade job. Only fly in the ointment is the cost of replacement cutters. They come in packs of 10 when the machine needs 26 for a complete change so you need 3 packs. 2 sides on HSS wont last long and the TC blades cost even more. Sort of being mugged by the marketing guys again. Bit like printer ink.
    I guess you may be able to do a sharpen on the HSS cutters one perhaps two times before the profile ware makes them unusable but it would be a pita with 26 x 2 to do.
    Pleased to see spiral type machines start to come within the price range of mere mortals however and I guess prices will continue to drop. I'll just have to nurse along my old screaming box of scrap for another year or so.
    Regards
    John

I have had the Carbatec thicknesser for about 18 months. It cuts just fine and leaves a better surface than the older thicknessers I had with long straight knives. It is portable and as such I only ever take thin passes and when I do it makes a clean surface with minimal snipe.

it is not a true spiral however. The head consists do a number of small cutters about 1 cm square arranges in an offset fashion around the cutter head. But each individual cuter hits the surface directly and not at an angle.

Blade de changes take seconds and there is no need to align them when you do. Just lossen a screw in the centre of each cutter and rotate it.

That said I to am a weekend warrior and it suits me fine. As for portable well it is but you would not want to port it very often, very far or by yourself.

I did a long and extensive review of this machine for the forum some time ago and it goes into a lot more detail and has some pictures to help you decide. I put the review up on the 24th May 2013
    My age is still less than my number of posts

I have owned the carbatec for over a year and it is a reliable and well performing machine . I have feed it mainly aussie hardwood, rotated the cutters once given them a clean and a swipe on a diamond pate but they now need replacing, I was a bit put out by the current price, $65 for 10 blades ,for full 26, no point in getting less,$195.As this machine seems to be an exclusive carbatec product I assume there is no other source? any info from fellow owners, regards Rossco

I think the cost of blades is going to hurt the sales figures for those machines. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the suppliers to wake up to this. I would buy one tomorrow if the cost of replacement blades were reasonable.
    Regards
    John

The replaceable knives are the trauma.

The HSS ones have only two faces, not the regular four. Worse, they are ever so slightly off in size to all standard knives.

They have deliberately made them this way to capture sales. Had I known before purchase, I would never have chosen the machine (Carbatec CT330x). I love the machine, but utterly despise to the core of my soul being held to ransom.

I bought it upon release and CT didn't have any info on the blades at the time. A glance to confirm and they looked "normal"..... But a vernier at a later date proved otherwise.

So, I did research. Deep research. found other American models that are identical, found their carbide replacements no better in price... So let's go find the core manufacturer..... Of to China!

Dredging for ages, I found them. I wrote and can acquire the carbide cutters for only $1.56 each

Yes, you read that right. $1.56. With free postage.

One caveat, you need to buy in multiples of 10. Whoopi Bang! Ah! They will also do significantly better prices for 500 or more.

So, we can see that the 17 middlemen between manufacturer and consumer double through the pricing multiple times.

This thread has reinvigorated my desire to upgrade to carbide as I flipped the HSS blades last week...so, I'll reconfirm all the numbers to ensure 100% and then post the details of the manufacturer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast