Default Need ideas for timber storage outside

OK, so my 9 x 6 m shed just isn't big enough

All the nice timbers are stored inside, but I need something outside to store the longer things - old lengths of random building hardwood, lengths of steel etc. Wondering if anybody has done something like this or has ideas. I am aiming for something between 50 and 100cm deep. Length and height tobe worked out. I am hoping to use materials that I already have to hand, which would be a bit of rusty approx 20mm square tubing, an old futon (the kind that tips up to a seat or down to a bed, some reinforcing mesh, and a few bits of round tube about 50mm or so diameter. I also have a bit of random colourbond panelling.

ANyway, any ideas about what works best to be accessible, but also weatherproof?

Thanks
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I built a small storage area beside my houses the access lane, it sits below window height and cannot be seen from the rear yard or from inside the house.

Its about 4.5m long, 1.2-1.3m high. I just used 2x4's, some colorbond for the roof and clad the outside with old plywood held on with wing nuts for easy removal.

I have attached a rough sketch I did at the time, the open area on the left is for sheet storage, its big enough for a full 2.4m x 1.2m sheet. There are no uprights in the corners making it easier to slide out longer boards.

Not quite what your after but it might give you some idea's. I've been using it for about 2 years and its been great, just make sure your shelves are solid , initially I just had the 2x4's and it was a pain to slide things in and out...

joez
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is exactly the kind of thing I am thinking about. So, you built this, and then clad the outside (front and ends)? I wonder if it would be possible somehow to do something like this without the front members, maybe just corner ones or something so long pieces could lift straight in and out. Do you think that would work or would it collapse under the weight?
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

Quote Originally Posted by petersemple View Post
    That is exactly the kind of thing I am thinking about. So, you built this, and then clad the outside (front and ends)? I wonder if it would be possible somehow to do something like this without the front members, maybe just corner ones or something so long pieces could lift straight in and out. Do you think that would work or would it collapse under the weight?
    Yes i clad it with marine ply held on with wing nuts so all panels come off for access.

You'd be amazed at how much stuff you can put in there, its very heavy, I'd say you'd need some kind of support. You would be able to move the location of the uprights to suit your situation though.

In my case I dont have much width beside the house thats why I designed it for access on the ends.