Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Problem with my Lucas

Started her up today and things were going fine.

Then when I swung the blade from horizontal to vertical at low revs I heard a very fast tick, tick, tick,... sound. I couldn't see anything caught in the blade or interfering with it in any way but the next cut was noticeably slower. When I took the blade cover off each to check the blade every tooth is chipped.

I went back over the board I'd just cut and I couldn't find any signs of any metal.

When I turned the blade there was good clearance everywhere but when I put the cover back on a started the mill and moved the saw from H to V and back again I'm still getting the sound going from H to V but now it is a lot quieter.

I'm currently uploading a you tube vid where I've recorded the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spsT...ature=youtu.be

And I've taken these photos of the riving knife. and teeth. Obviously the teeth are stuffed but is it actually hitting the knife? Are the marks on the knife factory marks or from where the teeth of the saw have clipped it?

Is that sound normal? If it is I don't remember hearing it before.

Was there something in the log that has since disappeared?

I'm a bit wary of putting a new blade on without having a better idea of what was/was not the problem/cause.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Check your riving knife. Should be tight and have at least 6mm clearance from blade.

It is hard to tell but as I turn the blade it might get as close as 5mm but its hard to tell.

When i watch the blade turn I can see a cap between the blade and the knife but when I move it from H to V I am still get that sort of zing sound.

The knife is tight to its mount.

The easy way to be sure would be to put a new blade on but I'm down to my last one

Give the knife a quick lick of paint, or even use a texta, on that jagged edge. Then run it with the old blade, it will soon take the paint off if hitting
    Neil

Yeah I tried that with a permanent marker.

I don't think it is hitting the knife but then there is not much of the teeth left

My next thought is that the water feed pipe may have slipped so that it is contacting the blade. The noise would be from when the pipe passes the hole near the hub. I'll check that in some good light tomorrow.

IF that is the case then it looks like I hit something in the log. Which is a bummer because it is the second blade on the log

Weaver, its easy to check your blade when you put a new one back on, just turn it over by hand....don't switch the motor on...also go backwards slowly then you should be able to see if something is getting in the way.

From factory your riving knife will not touch your blade, they test run/check every machine before it goes out. Also your riving knife travels with teh blade during H and V so it wouldn't 'catch' at one point during swingover. To take off all the teeth tips is something one would think you would have heard. Did you check inside the blade guard? and now after watching the video - also the front blade guard?

Do ya self a favour. Turn off, take spark plugs out, get under the saw and watch the blade as you spin it by hand, this will give you the chance to see exactly where it is touching something - safely.

Let us know after you do that....
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

I find it odd that its happening as the blade swings.

Is it just me or can you hear the noise as well?

Having checked and checked and checked I'm now not sure if I just didn't notice the noise when I first started milling.

Wont be doing anything about it today though because its pelting down with lots o flash and bang.

I can certainly hear a noise, which I don't recal hearing with any of my 3 mills.

To rule out things, and after you get a chance totry the above (probably will need someone to help swing while you are underneath looking at stuff, try swinging the blade without motor running - this will determine if it may be noise from the strut or the swingframe mounting bolts.
    Then try with engine on, but blade stationary...not sure what this will rule out, but give it a go

Let us know how ya go.

Those marks on your riving knife, aren't from your blade, they are factory grinding marks, if you take a close look they are on the outside edge of the knife, I'd say you'll find they are from when the riving knife gets cut out, any burr is ground off before being sent out
    Allan.

Well I've pretty much concluced that I must have hit a piece of metal of stone that I didn't notice and couldn't find. Maybe a nail directly in line with the kerf?

On Youtube someone suggested putting the new blade on and turning by hand. After much faffing around with an old blade I tried this and the blade didn't get close. With great trepidation I turned the mill on and the blade spun to speed and swung without any problems but that noise still seems to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    Well I've pretty much concluced that I must have hit a piece of metal of stone that I didn't notice and couldn't find. Maybe a nail directly in line with the kerf?

On Youtube someone suggested putting the new blade on and turning by hand. After much faffing around with an old blade I tried this and the blade didn't get close. With great trepidation I turned the mill on and the blade spun to speed and swung without any problems but that noise still seems to be there.
    Craig, I suggested that on youtube you can see the blade doesn't come close enough to the riving knife to hit it hey?

I know it might be a silly question, but have you tried swinging it without the motor on and seeing if the noise is there? or with motor on and blade stationary?

I can't recall where you live mate, is is close? can you drop by with you powerhead and we can have a look? this is bugging me!!!!
    Allan.

I'll try that today.

I'm Victoria so it would be a bit of a hike to your place.

It's bugging me too. Been thinking on this for the last few days but had no original suggestions so didn't say much, but now i'm going to think out loud...

Lets assume the noise and blade damage are unrelated for now. Blade damage happens all the time due to nails, stones, bullets, dog spikes, leaf springs ( yah... really... I clipped a truck leaf spring that had grown into a tree once, another inch or so deeper and it might have been really interesting).
    Potential causes of the noise that come to mind are...

Shaft bearing on the way out. Grab the blade between your fingers and see if it has any play. There should be no wobble up or down (blade horizontal).

One of the pivot points is loose or has a bit of grit in it. If it had worn a bit there it would change the pivot axis and would "flop" a bit as it went from one wear groove to another.

Belts or pulley wear. Might be something going on there as it swings over. Maybe give those a look over for bearing wobble as well.

Something inside the guard?

Check that bit of plastic that hangs down the front. Around the 18 second mark in the video it looks like its riding up with the box instead of hanging down freely. Mine does that sometimes and I know that something happens that tells me its doing it but can't remember what it is.

Gearbox oil level? Unlikely to have any effect and I'm assuming that was the first thing you checked anyway but there aint much else to them that changes when the blade rolls over. They're a pretty simple machine really.

I really have no idea what the cause is... as I said I'm merely thinking out loud. machine looks nice and clean too BTW... hell of a lot tidier then mine.

And whats the red plasticy looking thing on the gas strut around the ten second mark? Mine no got one of them - or if it did it fell off long ago. Could it be catching on the frame as it goes past?
    Also around the twelve second mark as the blade seats verticly it looks as though the stop adjustment isnt hitting the old wear mark squarely. At the 10 and 24 second marks it hits it on the button. I'd be checking those pivot bolts carefully.

Well today its not making that sound or at least only occasionally making it.<br><br>The blade damage must have been from something in the log that I didn't see before or after I hit it because the new blade I bought and put on there is fine after milling all day.<br><br>The reason the machine is so clean is because I only got it thursday week ago and as of today its only done 12hrs <br><br>I don't know what the red things on the strut is I had assumed it was part of it.<br><br>My new theory is that it is the clear PVC flap and the blade coming into contact. Tomorrow I've got to rack out what I cut today and then I'm not sure when I'll have it out next. I've got an elm, blackwood, pine, messmate and cypress on the dance card but I'm not sure of the order.