Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Is this the most versatile plane?

I've been trying out some planes at the Wood show. Really like the HNT Gordon planes that can double as a scraper and the Veritas planes. Garret Hack has made an impressive video on the Veritas 62 bevel up plane http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...workhorse.aspx. I have a few Stanleys, a 4,5 and 6 but it would be nice to have another plane that an tackle cranky grain. Can't decide between them, what do you think?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Garret Hack has made an impressive video on the Veritas 62 bevel up plane http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...workhorse.aspx. I have a few Stanleys, a 4,5 and 6 but it would be nice to have another plane that an tackle cranky grain. Can't decide between them, what do you think?
    I think Garret's Video is on the LN #62. A copy of the old Stanley #62. His may even be an old Stanley. The Veritas offering is the LAJ and either would serve you well but they are pricey.
    http://www.henryeckert.com/index.php...product_id=845
    http://www.carbatec.com.au/veritas-l...ck-plane_c7090

I quite like the #62 myself.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Hack is definitely using a L-N in the video you linked to, Tiger, you can read the name clearly as he waves it past the camera in the opening sequence.
    However, I doubt I would be able to detect any difference in the performance of a L-N or a LV. There are cosmetic differences, of course, like the woodwork, and LV's addition of those screws that centre the blade near the mouth, which some folks find great, bit I find rather pointless & wouldn't miss them for a second if they were to suddenly disappear.

You may have kick-started another interminable discussion on whether BU planes are 'better', or more versatile or whatever, but I don't think anyone will disagree that there's a difference in the action & feel of bevel-ups compared with an 'equivalent' BD plane, and you may or not like the 'feel' of one or the other. Whether or not they will suit your purposes, with or without a higher sharpening angle, or do a better job than a high-angle BD plane, is something you can only find out by using one for a decent length of time. For me, it doesn't seem to be absolute, & depends to a large extent on what particular cranky woods I'm grappling with. I have a choice of two high-angle BD planes, two standard Bailey type smoothers and two BU planes (a LV low-angle smoother and a recently-acquired 62-style). My rule of thumb, based on my own experience is that the harder the wood, the better it responds to higher cutting angles, but it isn't always so, and there are even woods that only extra-high cutting angles work on (i.e. scrapers!). I often find that softer 'wild' woods e.g. Camphor laurel, which can be a right pig of a cranky-grained thing, planes better with a bog-standard, 45 degree BD Bailey type plane.

I hivered & hovered for some years over buying my first BU bench plane, finally settling on the LV low-angle smoother, co-incidentally, because I thought it would be the most versatile for my needs. After a while, I started thinking I might have actually been better off with its larger sibling, especially for use on a shooting board, which I don't use a lot, but occasionally give a good workout. But I liked the smoother size very much for jobs like trimming cabinet door edges & such like, so I remained undecided for a long time. In the end, I went for a least-cost compromise, & bought one of the 62 clones manufactured in the big country up north of us. So far, I've been happy with mine. It may not be quite to L-N or LV standard, but it has done what I ask of it very well. So if you are uncertain, that may represent a less expensive way of satisfying your curiosity about the versatility or otherwise of a BU plane (you can choose from at least 3 local retailers).....

Cheers,
    IW

Ok Ian, thanks for that write-up, would like to try a BU plane, am going to the wood show now, any brand suggestions, other than LN or Veritas?

Good Morning Tiger

Further to Ian's comments, I have the Lie Nielsen Low Angle Jack plane and I like the feel of it. With the easily adjustable mouth, I use it both as a jointer and as a smoother - also use it on the shooting board. It is versatile, and just feels nice. A couple of mates say it "feels strange" - horses for courses.

In the States, LN and LV are essentially the same price. In Aus LN is usually significantly cheaper than the LV equivalent - presumably one of the importers is greedier? Food for thought!

For LN I have had excellent service from Henry Eckert in Adelaide.

Fair Winds

Graeme

Thanks for the suggestions, i ended up getting the LN version.

For what it is worth, I have just posted an advert to sell a Lee Valley/Veritas LA Smoother in the For Sale section.

The LV LA Smoother is a better plane than the LN version (LN #62): better blade adjustment (proper Norris adjuster), better blade stability and blade set up (using side set screws), and easier blade changes (the LN requires a "dongle", which is added on and must be removed). There is also an extra blade, plus custom handle and knob made by our very own IanW (I wish I could keep the handle and knob because Ian is a great mate of mine, but they fit this plane). It is a real looker. Get it while you can !!!!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    For what it is worth, I have just posted an advert to sell a Lee Valley/Veritas LA Smoother in the For Sale section.

The LV LA Smoother is a better plane than the LN version (LN #62): better blade adjustment (proper Norris adjuster), better blade stability and blade set up (using side set screws), and easier blade changes (the LN requires a "dongle", which is added on and must be removed). There is also an extra blade, plus custom handle and knob made by our very own IanW (I wish I could keep the handle and knob because Ian is a great mate of mine, but they fit this plane). It is a real looker. Get it while you can !!!!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Now you tell me.

Relax Tiger, I got my numbers mixed up. The LN #62 is the equivalent of the LV LA Jack, not the LV LA Smoother which I have had for sale.

The LN #62 is an excellent plane. I have the Stanley version as well as the LV LA Jack, which is a slightly larger version of the #62. All excellent planes. You did well!

Regards from perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Ok, i can now sleep a little easier, first impressions are that it's a very good plane.