Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hoop pine ply Wardrobe doors twisted

Hi everyone,
    I'm a bit stuck with a project at the moment,
    I've built a pair of built in wardrobes for a customer with 19mm Hoop pine plywood doors.
    Since the wardrobe is going from floor to ceiling the doors are in 2 parts. The bottom part is about 1900m high and the top 700mm.
    The top doors open and close perfectly but the bottom ones are not good. I discovered that the panels for the bottom doors (1900 high x 400 wide) are slightly twisted so when I close the doors the left one touches at the top but not at the bottom and the right one touches at the bottom but not at the top.
    I'm using some push to open hinges so I tried to compensate by adjusting the hinges but it doesn't work.
    I clamped the doors for 2 weeks on a flat surface to try to flatten them but no success.
    So I need to find a way to straighten these doors so they can close properly.

One idea was to make some sort of steel frame on the back side to try to bring it back straight but I have no idea how big and what section to use.

Other idea was to do a couple of cuts lengthwise, a few mm deep to try to release that tension in the ply that make it twist but I've never done that before so I'm not sure it would work.

If you have any idea or if you encountered that problem before please let me know.

Thomas

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Thomas,
    First question what are the doors hung from and are these all plumb?
    Do you know the panels are twisted?, if they are it is highly unlikely you will flatten them even if you clamped them with twist the opposite direction they would most likely return to the original form. What type of hinges are you using?
    Regards Rod.

Hi Rod
    The frame where the doors are hung are perfectly plumb and level. I've checked it 3 times as I initially thought that was the problem. I then checked each edge of the door as i thought the panel might just have a bow in it but each edge was straight. I then put a straight edge diagonally and that's how i found out that they are twisted.
    I'm using some basic reverse spring hinges like you have on kitchen cabinet doors.

Hi Thomas,
    You mention cutting the back of the door, if this is ok how about a threaded rod corner to corner in a groove with a hinge hole 35mm for the nut and washer to pull the door some 1/4" all thread should be plenty you could then re-skin the back if needed.
    Regards Rod.

The rod running diagonally was not enough to bring the door straight enough and also created a bow on the outside edge. So I ended up cutting the doors in half (which doesn't look as good as having one panel but still looks alright and it's practicle) and I still had to use a threaded rod to straighten them a bit more.
    One thing is sure, I'll never do that again! So much time wasted... I thought these beautiful $270 sheets of ply would be straight enough to make doors but obviously it was not. Next time I'll go with MDF and hoop pine veneer even though you don't get the nice edge.
    Thanks for your help anyway