Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default carbide tool holders for hercus 9"

Hi all,

Have been looking around on ebay and noticed some cheap carbide tool holders from hong kong. They are SCLCR1212H06, H & F seem to sell the same ones for double the price (how unlike them lol) Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them or is there something better out there that I should be looking at?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCLCR1212...item2595f7cbee

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Just found these, looks like better value and it's in Australia...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12mm-exte...item3f3ba55e3b

Have you already got any tipped tools?

If so you would be advised to try and find other tooling that suits the tips you currently use if possible.

If not either of the holders would be suitable,you can purchase additional profile holders to cater for different turning needs that utilize the same size of tip.

If cost is a concern or you don't require numerous different shapes of tips try to stay with the one type of tip size that will cover the tooling you wish to use,eg ( facing,turning L/R hand,boring etc).

Hi,

The first tool (SCLCR1212H06) is part of a set of tools,

SCACR or SCACL - turn to a shoulder left or right hand
    SCLCR or SCLCL - turning/ Facing left or right hand
    SCMCN - plain turning.

The C type insert used is common between these turning holders and the SCLCR boring bars eg S12M-SCLCR/L06

You need to determine whether you could use the 6mm (ISO) cutting edge CCMT0602xx/ CCGT0602xx inserts or the larger 9mm CCMT09T3xx inserts. (Don't get me started on ANSI)

The D type insert is also worth taking a look at but there are three tools,

SDJCR or SDJCL
    SDNCN straight turning

These seem to be popular for smaller lathes.

The "V" insert is somewhat similar but is not available in small sizes.

As for the "T" insert you get the choice of three usable edges but it depends if the geometry of the insert suits the work you wish to do.

There are five tool sets similar to the "C" style inserts.

Peter on the site you referred to http://stores.ebay.com.au/tcarbide?_...p2047675.l2563 seems to be fair to deal with.

The round insert SRDCN is also worth a look.

Once you have worked out the style of insert and holder then the matter of grade of insert.

There are many grades but one seller (ctctools.biz (usual disclaimer)) seems to stock three grades of insert - aluminium, steel and stainless steel - you pays your money and takes your chances. Worth taking a look even if you don't wish to buy from that site.

Hi,

At the moment I do not own any tipped tools, what I am looking for is something that will work well and the inserts should be readily available and affordable. I wouldn't mind getting a complete set to do turning, facing, boring, thread cutting etc if there is a package out there.

Found another from the same seller, does this look alright?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Small-lat...item3f3ba5660d

Thanks

Wow, just browsing h & f to compare and it's a bargain compared with this http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L450 You get an extra 2 boring bars as well.

Its hard to try and tell someone what is good and not so good in regards indexable tooling as the end user will be the one to determine what style or styles of tooling best suit there needs.

The only thing you really need to be sure of is that what ever tooling you purchase uses standard size tips and not something that only uses a sole manufacturers style of tip.

If looking for cheap do an ebay search for different tool types or down load one of the manufacturers catalogues,this will give you the information you need to search tip prices through online sites for best prices.

I use CCMT,TCMT and DCMT tips and associated tooling for different operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Com_VC View Post
    Wow, just browsing h & f to compare and it's a bargain compared with this http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L450 You get an extra 2 boring bars as well.
    Yep H & F are not the cheapest place to buy your tools
    Shane

Still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replys. In the end I decided to buy from Peter. I ended up with RH, LH, 3 boring bars, internal + external threading and inserts to suit. He was easy to deal with and delivery was quick, I received them 3 days after I paid. Quality looks good. I paid $210 all up.

I haven't used them as yet. I've been reading up on whether I should use coolant or not, it seems if used incorrectly with coolant you can do some damage to the tips due to heat cycling.

I have all the components needed to setup the coolant but it may end up on my bandsaw instead.

I need to also look into spindle speed, previously I used to go slow with HSS. I might fit a tacho to the lathe to make things easier.

The choice to run coolant is totally up to you.
    If you plan on drilling,reaming you may find a plumbed system better.
    With regards to using coolant and tips it really only becomes a problem if you apply the coolant to a hot tip,coolant will also remove a lot of built up heat when turning.
    In regards to your spindle speed you would generally run your lathe up to 4 times faster with carbide compared to HSS.

> I've been reading up on whether I should use coolant or not, it seems if used incorrectly with coolant you can do some damage to the tips due to heat cycling.

For roughing cuts with carbide inserts, you either use flood coolant, or cut dry. Anything in between such as drip coolant or brush-on coolant will cause microcracks to the cutting edge due to thermal shock.

For light finishing cuts you may use any form of coolant application, as not enough heat is generated to cause harm.

> I need to also look into spindle speed, previously I used to go slow with HSS.....

With carbide you can go 3 times faster than with HSS, and DOC and feed rate are selected for dark blue, smoking chips. But only few select hobbylathes allow for that high spindle speeds. You do not have to go any faster then HSS though, carbide inserts work well at lower rpm too. They just do not achieve the same cutting efficiency and life span as if used in an industrial machining center. In industry, it matters how much metal an insert costing x-$ can remove in y-time. At home that does not matter. You just want to get the job done with a good finish and to the tolerances that you set. The only thing you need to be aware of at home is, that carbide inserts can not cut a DOC of less than the cutting edge radius (else the insert rubs instead of cutting). If you need take very shallow DOC's, you need very sharp polished inserts with positive top rake - or you use a good old HSS tool.....