Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ideas for new projects

I have a bit of an odd dilemma in that i have a virtually endless supply of 138x38 DAR Meranti up to around 900 long available as off cuts to other projects through my work. Generally we toss these pieces into the firewood bin for people to take home and burn but i personally prefer to use then and make something from them. This is where some ideas would be nice for uses for these pieces. I have joined a few and made bench tops and dresser tops etc and have a reasonable but not exclusive skill set when it comes to working with wood and woodworking tools.

I do have access to a a router table, thicknesser, table saw and a cnc router with a variety of different tool bits available. I have run off pocketed signs and V carve signs and sell a couple on the side but generally prefer to use Western Red Cedar for these.

Now im wondering if anyone can give me some hints or ideas on other items i can make up with these left over pieces of timber.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    i have a virtually endless supply of 138x38 DAR Meranti
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Now im wondering if anyone can give me some hints or ideas on other items i can make up with these left over pieces of timber.
    Bundle some up and list them on the Marketplace!
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

meranti is light weight, right? what about planter boxes, or indoor or outdoor screens, etc? im imagining slatted look, made from 25 ish x 25mm section.

About the right width for a cd/dvd rack or stand if it was cut down to about 20mm thick.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Quote Originally Posted by iolithblue View Post
    meranti is light weight, right? what about planter boxes, or indoor or outdoor screens, etc? im imagining slatted look, made from 25 ish x 25mm section.
    In general it is usually the light sapwood stuff you see but if you rummage the pile there are odd good dense bits of hard and nice looking wood. I think they use a mix of 5 or more kinds of timber. It is very stable and good to work with.

Regards
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    In general it is usually the light sapwood stuff you see but if you rummage the pile there are odd good dense bits of hard and nice looking wood. I think they use a mix of 5 or more kinds of timber. It is very stable and good to work with.

Regards
    John

Thanks for the replies people, I agree John that some pieces would weigh maybe 3-4 times as much as others. I do like those little ornamental surrounds and was thinking of building something like a hall dresser or hall table.

In the past we have had a reasonable amount of scrap in Merbou along with some Oak also which i used to make some signs out of but my creative side never really had me building much more then a couple of hall tables that i sold off on gumtree.

Default Toys etc

If you have young children/grandchildren etc, or could afford some time to run a market stall, I suspect you could make a nice range of action toys like hobbyhorses, push along/pull along toys, toy cars, trains, planes, animal cut outs etc. If you have the time and incentive, there is a huge range of things you could market, could also throw in some planter boxes, outdoor side tables etc for the adults as well.

Just an idea.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

What about small hanging mirror?