Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: A new Sawbench

Default A new Sawbench

Made entirely by hand inspired by Tom Fidgens book "Hand crafted projects for the home & workshop"

This truly is a very functional, practical and most useful sawbench I have ever made and it also has a touch of elegance to it. I love the idea of having a removalable fence for when crosscutting you eliminate any chance of the timber moving away from you, this generally happens on narrower timbers that's too long for the work bench. There is a divider in the middle which also is fantastic, one side of the legs are angled at 100° for stability and the other side is 90° so you don't saw into them when ripping.

I really love it and can't wait to start using it, I would recommend anyone who enjoys ripping by hand to make themselves this sawbench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nice I made a slightly more rustic Chris scwhartz version and do feel and it very handy. I do find the legs get in the way not having a 90 degree side like this one. I'd be interested in how the split top goes in practice seems if the stock wasn't clamped down I would cut into it as it moved.

Initially I thought the same thing but so far I haven't done it and if I'm not careful I most probably will. However the cleat and apron are set back a fair distance, having said that the bird's mouth is there just to help you get started then you move into the middle of the dividers. This is excellent for ripping say 1/4" material or thinner or narrow pieces those dividers really help in such narrow rip cuts. For normal ripping you can use the right side where the legs are vertical, but all this can be easily figured out once you start using this bench.

The picture I posted I cut using the one edge of the divider as a reference, I didn't even mark a line I was impressed from the word go and being such a small and I used a 3 1/2tpi saw I was very impressed as to what I can do with this bench. Without thos dividers I wouldn't be able to cut such thin piece with such a heavy saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A very nice and practical looking saw bench. I like the idea of the crosscut fence and will see about adding one to my bench.
    Regards
    John

I did one mistake though I added paste wax to the top, now timbers are slipping and sliding all over the place. Did I think it was going to happen before I applied I did I was like the barber didn't know when to stop.