Hi

I recently paid a hefty price (50% up front at this stage) to have windows installed all way around house as part of a Reno (aluminium double glaze doors and windows replaced previous timber windows). Had a few issues with the installer who was recommended to me by the window supplier. One of those issues relates to how he has set the new windows in the bricks. On several of the windows he has butted up the window edge (not sure of the term, but the line that the render goes to) close to the brick, but has left big gaps (typically 30mm) on the other side. I questioned him on how this would affect the render having to be so thick. His response was it was no issue to apply it in that thickness in his "25yrs experience". However, a mate of mine who is a renderer said that thickness would definitely eventually crack. A builder agreed.

What is the consensus here? I am resigned to challenging him again on this issue but want to be reasonably sure of my facts.

i called the window company who said they will inspect. Their idea on the phone was to offer trims which sit flat to cover the gap that mean the render thickness can stay at 10mm and you wouldn't notice it (the render covers them). Would it be possible to do the trim just on the one side though rather than have the installer re-centre?

Fyi, there are timber infills above some of the windows - not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....