Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just stay under the 'included kms' if you're hiring a ute or truck, as they can be the difference between a $50 hire bill and a $180 hire bill (at least for those of us who have to go interstate to buy things).

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. It's really helpful and gives me a lot of options to investigate for the future. Good to hear of how other people get this stuff done too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moti View Post
    The driver mentioned that they get a lot of cases where the sender has not passed on special delivery requirements Arranged for redelivery and explained again that it would need something to get it off the truck.
    This has been my experience in the past as well. I'm sure with the new delivery company people will also have the same issues as it seems to occur further up the chain, rather than at the actual shipment end of the process. These stuff ups would cost any company a hell of a lot of money and you would think that putting in place better processes (and to stop blaming the computer system) would be well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    It is ridiculous that you can't even talk to your local store now as everything goes through Brisbane.
    Oh don't worry, I have the Gen. Manager of Melbourne's mobile number now! But he only answers after you've called a few times in immediate succession.

To be completely upfront, I'm not an easy customer to deal with as I expect very good and consistent service. There is one guy in Brisbane who I have found is exceptional. Very understanding of the customer and works very hard to make sure things are put right when something happens. He sits in on the executive team meetings too so has access to the higher ups if required. It's a shame that people feel they have to go to these lengths, to get what would be considered normal, standard service.

Great news about Timbecon. I hope they can secure some of the bigger company's distribution rights like Jet, and Powermatic. That would definitely put some more competition into the local industry not only on prices, but mostly in the customer service area. Would be even better if H&F (Machinery House) are able to secure these deals too.

In other news ... I checked the prices for a towbar kit for my car (Holden Cruze Sedan). $600-$700 for the kit + installation costs! Going to look at aftermarket options next to see what's possible there too. Whilst I don't intend to buy any big machinery in the near future, I do buy timber and having the ability to grab a trailer would be very useful. I also like the idea of the engine lift to help unload heavy stuff. Anyone had much experience with these? Is there a particular model that perhaps folds up small like so you can store it away when not in use?

Cheers,
    Af.

It's not just Carbatec. When I purchased the Hammer, I asked about delivery, I was quoted " about $250 and when we have more deliveries to your location.

Unhappy with that and when I sold my previous bandsaw to a Forum Member near Felder, I decided to hire a van. Basically the cost was offset by the sale of the old Bandsaw, delivered the old Bandsaw and brought the Hammer home. The only real problem I had was maneuvering the bandsaw on the trolly, around the van and into the new shed.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Boy View Post
    I also like the idea of the engine lift to help unload heavy stuff. Anyone had much experience with these? Is there a particular model that perhaps folds up small like so you can store it away when not in use?
    Here is some info on an engine crane.

There are two pins you remove and the legs fold up from the cross brace and the crane top lowers down between them. Just roll it over to a corner out of the way. I borrowed a friends to move the heavy stuff into the shed when I moved and when he comes to claim it I'll be buying one of my own.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Boy View Post

In other news ... I checked the prices for a towbar kit for my car (Holden Cruze Sedan). $600-$700 for the kit + installation costs! Going to look at aftermarket options next to see what's possible there too.
    $512 and you can fit it yourself in an hour. http://towbarsaustralia.com.au/towba...-cruze-sedan-0

I bought an under bumper version for the HSV. Very discrete and the kit was a snap to install. Good after service too.

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    Here is some info on an engine crane.
    that's a great idea - thanks for that. I have nothing specific to use it for but I should get one anyway - I"m now at the age when I have no interest in lifting heavy things anymore.
    There are plenty of second hand ones go on ebay for under $100.
    Thanks
    arron
    Apologies for unnoticed autocomplete errors.

It would also be worth checking Gumtree or the like for "man and a van" type arrangements or removalists. Often there are guys with vans looking for a little after hours work.

We had a friend come and collect a 2 pce lounge suite on a Sunday with a removal van and two guys (for about 2 hours) and it cost her $50 including collecting the suite from our house and placing it in hers. I remember thinking it was so cheap that I don't know why they bothered. In this case the guy had the van and didn't really have anything to do on the weekend so he did small jobs. The cost was negotiated before hand so there were no surprises.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I have one of these which is pump up with the handle or pneumatic attached to my compressor. They are a little more expensive but you avoid heaps of pumping by hand.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/A351

Carbatec service jss gone dprwn hill considerably in Adelaide too. The centralised service is really bad. The delivery charges are just ridiculous as well. They were once really good as you got personal service. Not any more.

I only buy from Carbatec when I really really have to. Stuff is rubbish, overpriced and after sales service/spare parts non-existent.
    Eventually they might wake up, but it will probably to late then.
    Kryn
    Last edited by Big Shed; 3rd November 2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Keep it civil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12