Thread: Braces & Bits

Question Braces & Bits

I am new to the world of Braces & Bits. I was given a couple by my father-in-law, that were used by his grandfather to construct their house. I have been restoring one, the other of which is going to be put in the scrap heap, sadly.

I have a few dumb questions about braces though.

Firstly, how is the handle installed? I can't spot glue marks or splits on any that I have seen indicating that the handle is placed on after the U shape is put in the metal shaft. Is the metal shaft bent after the handle has been put in place?

Thanks,

Craig

If nobody minds, as I start to learn more, I will start posting links to resources for finding out more.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    ...how is the handle installed? I can't spot glue marks or splits on any that I have seen indicating that the handle is placed on after the U shape is put in the metal shaft. Is the metal shaft bent after the handle has been put in place.
    Yes. Some more modern braces have a plastic handle added after shaping, but back in the olde days the handle was slid on before the final bends were added.

Cheers, Vann.
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

One of the dark secrets only the brace handle elves would know.
    Regards
    John

interesting
    for some reason the men's shed ends up with a lot of braces and bits
    I was thinking of grabbing one or two and doing them up
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

Hi Morbius,
    The process of bending the frame after the handle was put on was patented in the USA by Harry S. Bartholemew on the 21 may 1861 (32347). Prior to this handles were either split and the two halves pinned together after installation, or as in the case with John S Fray sawn in half and the two halves elegantly held by two pewter bands.Long after Bartholomews method had been adopted by most manufacturers Fray were still using their pewter rings on some of their braces well into the 20th century.
    An interesting resource is Sandy Moss www.sydnassloot.com
    Closer to home the Tough company here in WA had a line of braces named Tough Minor (1946 - 1966) which utilised Bakelite handles, some of which were one piece put on before bending and some in two halves retained by two wraps of copper wire soldered.
    Belonging to your father -in- laws grandfather they'd have to be pretty old can you see any ID on them?
    Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Last edited by Boringgeoff; 9th November 2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Punctuation.

Default Skinner Braces

Vann,

Weren't you looking into the history of the Skinner Manufacturing Co. at one point in time because you had some of their braces?

How did that go? Did you find out much?

Craig

Default Skinner Braces

Quote Originally Posted by Boringgeoff View Post
    Hi Morbius,The process of bending the frame after the handle was put on was patented in the USA by Harry S. Bartholemew on the 21 may 1861 (32347). Prior to this handles were either split and the two halves pinned together after installation, or as in the case with John S Fray sawn in half and the two halves elegantly held by two pewter bands.Long after Bartholomews method had been adopted by most manufacturers Fray were still using their pewter rings on some of their braces well into the 20th century. An interesting resource is Sandy Moss www.sydnassloot.com .Closer to home the Tough company here in WA had a line of braces named Tough Minor (1946 - 1966) which utilised Bakelite handles, some of which were one piece put on before bending and some in two halves retained by two wraps of copper wire soldered.Belonging to your father -in- laws grandfather they'd have to be pretty old can you see any ID on them? Cheers,Geoff.
    @Boringgeoff,

One is completely lost to the passage of time and corrosion, the other is a Skinner. Hence me being curious about their products.

Craig