Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: I Sorby saw.

Default I Sorby saw.

Here's another one from my grandfathers kit.

I doubt that it was a user though, the saw nuts were all gone and the handle pretty badly borer infected.

Still, it still had its little nib and a nice style about it so I made up a new handle and found some nuts on a non-saver at the tip. I used an angle grinder with a light deburring disc to do the cleanup of the blade and found this stamped on it;

The writing says, I SORBY Sheffield Cast Steel and the little logo is of the character Punch (of Punch and Judy).

I wonder if it would go as far back as the 1840's or shortly after?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

According to Simon Barley's fine tome "British Saws & Saw Makers from c1660" (Get yours here http://www.taths.org.uk/news/157-barley-saws),
    saws with the I SORBY mark were made by the Northern Tool Works and usually feature an image of Mr Punch and Northern Tool Works.
    They made saws from around 1880 until 1907. The mark on your saw was from c1890.

Hi Burraboy,

Hiroller already said what I was going to say, but I'll add a bit of generic info,

The number of screws in handsaws generally increased during the 1800's some saws had 5 screws by the end of the century, so, 4 screws and the style of screws fits nicely with a date around the 1890's to early 1900's.

It looks like a nicely proportioned saw, and for more than 100 years old, it's in pretty good condition, I'd have a close look at those small holes in the handle, it's not woodworm is it?

Ray

Thanks for those replies. I thought 1840's might be pushing it a bit, but it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. When did the nib feature begin its decline I wonder?
    Whatever made the holes in the handle is long gone but I'll hang it on the wall for possible future reference. I also wonder if resin impregnation would be a salvation for something that damaged?