Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three phase pwr

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    why do you need vsd for each machine?

I only have 1 vsd and its for the monster 1100mm sande (18kw) I have it to limit the inrush current. Other machines I have range from 4kw to 11kw all without vsd. The 11kw is a sander it has star delta. Never had issues with my 60amp supply when it's turned on while the compressor (7.5kw) and the extractor (4kw) are operating at the same time
    VSD allow for
    - soft starting (as well as reducing current inrush) makes things a lot gentler on machinery all round.
    - can be used to stop machinery quickly in an emergency
    - speed control of things like drill presses, lathes, blowers etc
    - Things can be tested easily at slow speeds before ramping to higher speeds e.g. when installing new or changing sanding belts I can run my belt sander slowly so that I can adjust the position before I bring it up to full speed. same on lathes.
    - One of the simple but really effective uses is to change the speed a whisker to move slightly out of a speed zone where there even a small amount of vibe, good for things like grinders.

I now have my wood and MW lathes, my DP, compressor, grinder, linisher and a small shed ventilation blower all set up on VSDs.
    The dust extractor and the bandsaw will be next
    The more I use them the more I find uses for them.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You might want to have a look into soft starters for some of those bits of equipment. A hell of a lot cheaper than VSDs. No good for speed control but things like dusties don't need that.
    The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

Quote Originally Posted by yowie View Post
    You might want to have a look into soft starters for some of those bits of equipment. A hell of a lot cheaper than VSDs. No good for speed control but things like dusties don't need that.
    I wouldn't consider getting a VSD just for a soft start but speed control on a DC or any blower would be very worthwhile having.

If the dust levels being generated are low or shed ventilation needs to be just ticking over then there is no need to run a DC flat out.

f the DC is up to it running at 60Hz even for a short period then it will deliver a 20% greater flow rate at 60 than 50Hz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12