Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

So Totally Kool!
    You're absolutely smashing this build Keith.
    Great stuff.

Cheers
    Trev.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi,

Started work on the boiler today. Using PVC pipe as my main boiler. Doing it in a similar vein to what I did with the Trevithick locomotive.
    First I made up up core section for the boiler. This included a centre dowell which holds the 4 inner rings together and also acts as a spigot to secure into the firebox. I included the 4 inner rings to enable me to secure the 4 outer brass rings (hold the timbers that run longitudinally along the boiler - to be done later) into something substantial. I joined the inner rings with timber cross members that allow me to secure the PVC at the base of the boiler. The PVC pipe is held in position with countersunk timber screws.
    The PVC pipe was too large in diameter. I had to cut out a section (50mm of circumference) to allow me to get the pipe (boiler) to the correct size before the timbers are secured on the outer surface.

Will include a photo of the locomotive to demonstrate what I am talking about with the timbers and outer brass rings.

Regards

Keith

lion.jpgboiler1.jpgboiler2.jpgboiler3.jpgboiler4.jpgboiler5.jpgboiler6.jpg

Mate you've got to be pleased, can I say even "Chuffed" at the way Lion is going!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Yes, I would say it's steaming along quite well.

Very impressed with your ABC interview in 2010 mate. Well Done !!!!!!!

Regards

Keith

Took Cathie shopping this morning, but ended up at Bunnings !!!

Today started to make the timber cladding for the boiler. Cut up 65 lengths of 9mm wide X 5mm thick - 340mm long. Used 70mmX35mm Pine as my base material.
    Placed them around the boiler and held in position with a piece of PVC pipe. These small lengths of PVC pipe will eventually become my "brass rings". Wanted to see how it looked and if my calculations were correct.

Each timber has to be sanded individually and edges chamfered. Quite looking forward to this sanding job, unlike the wheels.

Regards

Keith

boiler timbers2.jpgboiler timbers1.jpg

This is going to be a seriously good build Keith.
    Honestly you can see it coming a mile away!.
    And you haven't even built up a head of steam yet.

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    This is going to be a seriously good build Keith.
    Honestly you can see it coming a mile away!.
    And you haven't even built up a head of steam yet.

Cheers mate
    Trev.
    Thanks for your kind words Trev.

Pun every line - great stuff

Really enjoying making this locomotive. Stephenson's Rocket in 1/5th scale will be next.

Looking forward to the start of the Brough.

regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Took Cathie shopping this morning, but ended up at Bunnings !!!
    Bet it wasn't Torquay Bunnings
    It's coming along very nicely Keith. The wheels look a treat with the paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    Bet it wasn't Torquay Bunnings
    It's coming along very nicely Keith. The wheels look a treat with the paint job.
    Hi Dallas,

No - Bunnings Torquay could be closed up to 4 months with the wind damage. Took her to Spotlight then Bunnings Waurn Ponds.

Yes - wheels look good, thanks for your efforts with the blanks. The green is a very nice colour. Have the perfect looking stain for the cladding of the boiler. I think it will look good with the "brass" retaining rings.

Will work on loco again tomorrow. Not sure how long, baby sitting duties for Junior again.Love our Grandson

Take Care

Keith

Looking fantastic Keith. I like the idea of using the strips of pipe as the brass straps. Not been posting much but have looked in on all the build here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Looking fantastic Keith. I like the idea of using the strips of pipe as the brass straps. Not been posting much but have looked in on all the build here.
    Thanks Derek.

The English really built some beautiful locomotives. I am envious of you with all your historical museums where you can view the original locomotives, planes, cars etc. I am in contact frequently with the Lion Historical Society - great people !!

The PVC pipe will come up pretty well I think. Originally looked at covering in gold leaf BUT trials were very messy. Have come up with a better option I hope - may have an outcome today although also want to get stuck into sanding the wooden cladding strips.
    Happy with progress so far.

Take Care and all the best.

Regards

Keith

Thumbs up

Going like a train Keith!!!

Excitement mounts as completion nears!!!

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Going like a train Keith!!!

Excitement mounts as completion nears!!!
    Arthur,

Thanks - like the puns.

Still a long way to go mate. Haven't come to the difficult stuff yet. The amount of work on firebox and valves, throttle etc - I think there is still 3 to 4 months work in this build. The tender will also be intricate.

Really enjoying this locomotive.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hope the weather is good up in the Hervey Bay region.

Regards

Keith

Derek's comments convinced me to work on the "brass" rings.

To ensure the PVC pipe was cut squarely, I measured in from edge of pipe and marked with pencil. Then used masking tape all around circumference. This was a great guide. Then cut carefully with hacksaw. Sanded smooth with fine sandpaper.

Made up a fixture out of pine that gave a snug fit on the inside of the ring. I bored a hole and this allowed me to rotate the fixture and ring. This allowed me to give a nice even coating of primer to the ring around edges and circumference. Allowed to dry. Then used same technique with high gloss super gold spray paint. I am really happy how it has come up. Won't be touching the painted ring for at least 24 hours so the rings will be 4 days before completed. Plenty of other work to do whilst paint dries.

Regards

Keith

Brass Rings1.jpgBrass rings2.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Derek's comments convinced me to work on the "brass" rings.

To ensure the PVC pipe was cut squarely, I measured in from edge of pipe and marked with pencil. Then used masking tape all around circumference. This was a great guide. Then cut carefully with hacksaw. Sanded smooth with fine sandpaper.

Made up a fixture out of pine that gave a snug fit on the inside of the ring. I bored a hole and this allowed me to rotate the fixture and ring. This allowed me to give a nice even coating of primer to the ring around edges and circumference. Allowed to dry. Then used same technique with high gloss super gold spray paint. I am really happy how it has come up. Won't be touching the painted ring for at least 24 hours so the rings will be 4 days before completed. Plenty of other work to do whilst paint dries.

Regards

Keith

Brass Rings1.jpgBrass rings2.jpg
    The train is progressing very well Keith, you are certainly doing a top job....
    All the slats on the boiler looks great and the idea of the PVC rings is up there...
    The gold has come up well, I've used spirit based Zinser undercoat & gloss "Hammertone Brass" pressure pack on KindyGym projects with similar results....though simple toys not a fancy train..
    Keep up the good work and thank you for the extra photos.. Cheers, Peter