Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Starting to really take shape now Keith I like how you made the railing.
    Thanks Derek,

The only problem is the carbide tip tools don't like the smaller diameter aluminium when machining spigots. Might have to look at getting a High Speed Steel holder and cut smaller diameters with that.

Even so - happy with progress

All the best

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It has taken me 3 days to get the railing fence done on just one side. Fair bit of chucking stuff away because not happy with it. As stated previously, I made the posts out of 10mm aluminium bar and turned spigots on each end for location points. The railing section is cut out of PVC downpipe. The centre stay supports are PVC pipe cut 10mm wide. The finials I made out of 10mm aluminium, drilled to fit over the spigots and tops rounded in lathe. The backing sheet is 1mm aluminium sheet. It was very difficult to roll form and get the 90 degree bend smooth. I used a piece of 10mm solid round in a vyce as my form and hammered with rubber mallet to get smooth with no wrinkling.
    The locomotive is just sitting together. At the moment I will be able to fully dismantle to clean off dust and give another coat of paint to the chasis if desired.
    The 2 cans of VB are there just to give an indication of size of the loco. The tender when built will add another 350mm to the length of the locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Fence1.jpgfence2.jpg

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

So the train is about the size of a full 24 can slab by 3 slabs high???

[And I'm not a drinking man]

Opps - and looks a hundred tines better.....well done Keith, Cheers, Peter

Really nice work mate.
    Looking fantastic!

Cheers
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    So the train is about the size of a full 24 can slab by 3 slabs high???

[And I'm not a drinking man]

Opps - and looks a hundred tines better.....well done Keith, Cheers, Peter
    Thanks Mate - More enjoyable than drinking 3 slabs Crowie.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    It has taken me 3 days to get the railing fence done on just one side. Fair bit of chucking stuff away because not happy with it. As stated previously, I made the posts out of 10mm aluminium bar and turned spigots on each end for location points. The railing section is cut out of PVC downpipe. The centre stay supports are PVC pipe cut 10mm wide. The finials I made out of 10mm aluminium, drilled to fit over the spigots and tops rounded in lathe. The backing sheet is 1mm aluminium sheet. It was very difficult to roll form and get the 90 degree bend smooth. I used a piece of 10mm solid round in a vyce as my form and hammered with rubber mallet to get smooth with no wrinkling.
    The locomotive is just sitting together. At the moment I will be able to fully dismantle to clean off dust and give another coat of paint to the chasis if desired.
    The 2 cans of VB are there just to give an indication of size of the loco. The tender when built will add another 350mm to the length of the locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Fence1.jpgfence2.jpg

Should get the second handrail / fence finished today. Also working on the drivers access steps. Joshua around today so depends on how he sleeps / plays depends on how much work I get done.

Have a good day

Keith

Hi All.

Finished the second fence section and the steps. The stirrups were made from MDF and the base of the steps from pine. The rivets are large decking nail heads.
    The fences are just sitting there at the moment - not secured in position.

Regards

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks smick Keith.....

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    That looks smick Keith.....
    "Schmicker than Schmick".

Thanks guys - appreciate it. I had a look up on a Steam Locomotive - Glossary of Terms page and thought I would share the info on the reason my loco has timber cladding over the boiler.

Regards

Keith

cladding.jpg

Well I am pretty happy how the front of the locomotive has come up.

The hook coupler I made out of aluminium flat bar. Fair bit of filing to get shape I wanted. I use wood sandpaper to smooth off the aluminium. Takes longer but like it better than emery cloth. I like the smoothness of the end result.

The buffers I made out of 25mm aluminium round. I cut grooves around the circumference and then araldited "O" Rings in position in the groove. I think they add something to it.

I then cut off the main front supporting cross member. This was always my intention to then allow me to add the front timber section with the buffers. (Don't know the terminology of this part of the loco). Anyway - doesn't matter. I used the same technique I used on the Trevithick locomotive to age the timber. Used a wire brush on my 4" angle grinder. Made up my own paint colour - Brown earth, black and water to make a wash paint to give it the aged look.

My next task is to make 2 "brass" blowdown valves for the 2 front cylinders. This will involve a fair bit of lathe work.

Getting close to a full dismantle of the loco, a bit of work shortening the axles, a repaint and then a final assembly of the main loco section. Then can work on wheel guard supports and boiler supports. After that onto the tender.

Crowie, Tell Handy his grandpa is well. He is relaxing, reading and looking after our Herb garden.

Regards

Keith

Handys Grandpa.jpgBuffers.jpg

nice mate!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    nice mate!.

Cheers
    Trev.
    Yes, must agree....

Now that has really brought a smile to my dial..................Thank you Keith....

Cheers, Peter

Working on the components of the Blowdown valve. Body made of aluminium, sleeve - aluminium, connector pipe - aluminium, fitting to cylinder plate - brass, handle - mild steel. There is a left hand and right hand blowdown valve so they can be accessed from each side of the front of the locomotive. Scale I think is pretty accurate - going off original Lion photos. If it looks out of place on the loco though I will discard and start again. I have shown photos of exploded view of components, assembly and then the "brass" assembly. Ignore the overspray paint on the vyce. It's an old vyce and is now used for holding items to be spray painted.

Regards

Keith

blowdown1.jpgBlowdown 2.jpgBlowdown 3.jpg

Thumbs up

Absolute magic Keith\!!!