Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    A good start to the tender keith. Not found anything on your next the Crampton in any of the books I have.

Thanks for looking Derek,

Hopefully the book I am purchasing on e-Bay will have enough detail for me to progress it. Will post you some details of it when I get the book (including sketches, plans etc) Anyway I think I may be able to use photos and images found to make a good go of it.

It's an intriguing looking locomotive.

Best Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Thanks for looking Derek,

Hopefully the book I am purchasing on e-Bay will have enough detail for me to progress it. Will post you some details of it when I get the book (including sketches, plans etc) Anyway I think I may be able to use photos and images found to make a good go of it.

It's an intriguing looking locomotive.

Best Regards

Keith
    Hi Derek,

The book is in - sent to my daughter-in-law. Pick it up tomorrow. (She bought it for me on her e-Bay account).

Have now found some plans on the Stirling on Hobbyco UK website. What do people think about the Stirling - Trev, Handyjack, Derek and others ?

Couldn't find plans for coming loco builds last week - now coming thick and fast - unbelievable.

Will scan some pages of the Crampton book and show tomorrow - hopefully I am not disappointed, but now have more options for the coming year/s

Regards

Keith

Back in the shed today after a great weekend.

Working on the tender chasis. Concentrating on one side at the moment. see how it comes up before going too far.

Bearing hornplates fitted. rivets made. The lower area will be the cast iron colour. The area above the hornplates (where the rectangular sections have been cut out) will be the British Racing Green livery. The background section just above the hornplates will be gold leaf. Think will be a good contrast and look quite OK.

Got the book on the Crampton. Good book, but not what I expected or hoped for. Don't think I could build the loco from the info in the book. Pretty disappointing, but that's how it goes. Might try to concentrate on getting info on the Stirling.

Regards

Keith

Tender chasis1.jpg

Great stuff Keith.
    I can see that looking spot on painted up.
    Really like the way the rivets come up when it's all done.
    Don't be to quick to give up on the Crampton it's a beautiful train, and it would be great to see how you'd tackle the build.

Cheers
    Trev.

Back in the shed today after a great weekend.

Got the book on the Crampton. Good book, but not what I expected or hoped for. Don't think I could build the loco from the info in the book. Pretty disappointing, but that's how it goes. Might try to concentrate on getting info on the Stirling.

Regards

Keith
    One of the problems with the Crampton "type" is that there were a few different designs. The common feature being the driven axle was behind the firebox. Some had a crank shaft in front of the firebox and the coupling rods to the driving wheel. Some had outside cylinders and motion, others inside.
    (I had to look up Crampton on Wikipedia to find out about it).
    The Stirling is a good looking engine, you might be able to get more information on it.

Worked on the tender chasis this afternoon, concentrating on one side. A recommendation - unless you like being frustrated for hours - never use gold leaf. I gave up. It looked terrible. The green looks OK without the gold backing I reckon. Thanks Trev for the Motorspray primer - works a treat. Even though I am dabbing the paint on to give it a mottled and weathered look - it is much easier to apply the top coats - thanks. I am looking forward to when I apply a high gloss spray paint to see the outcome.
    Put more rivets in the main steel support - think it looks better. Will continue work on the other side now I know exactly how I am going to proceed - not using gold leaf !!!

Regards

Keith

tender chasis2.jpg

Great News,

The Forum now has a section on Quilting. Cathie can add her own threads (pun) on the quilting work she does. It means that I will have a bit less time working on the locos as I design and make the patterns, but it's great news.

I have made up both sides of the tender chasis. The challenge is getting each side as close as possible to being the same. The 2 chasis are beside each other in the photo. They have to be left and right hand of course. Now I can start up making the chasis cross members. I have painted the chasis base as it is easier to paint dismantled than assembled. As I said previously - the Motorspray primer works a treat.

Trevor I have also added an extra photo for you on the design work we have been talking about. Can't post on Cathie's thread yet. Can't put photos in PM's (or can we??) Two hours work just on the "Storm" wording - but enjoyable.

Regards

Keith

Tender both side chasis.jpgIMG_0780.jpg

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default Two out of three...Keith

Great News,

The Forum now has a section on Quilting. Cathie can add her own threads (pun) on the quilting work she does. It means that I will have a bit less time working on the locos as I design and make the patterns, but it's great news.

I have made up both sides of the tender chasis. The challenge is getting each side as close as possible to being the same. The 2 chasis are beside each other in the photo. They have to be left and right hand of course. Now I can start up making the chasis cross members. I have painted the chasis base as it is easier to paint dismantled than assembled. As I said previously - the Motorspray primer works a treat.

Trevor I have also added an extra photo for you on the design work we have been talking about. Can't post on Cathie's thread yet. Can't put photos in PM's (or can we??) Two hours work just on the "Storm" wording - but enjoyable.

Regards

Keith

Tender both side chasis.jpgIMG_0780.jpg
    Two out of three...Keith...

The first, is congrats for the quilt subsection on the forum, looking forward to seeing Cathie's and others work...

The second, is congrats on the tender build thus far....

BUT third, Trev must have corrupted you!!??...How can a Geelong boy and a Ford fan have a "Storm" logo???

Cheers, Peter...

PS - Sounds like you had a top time of it with Trev....pity Ross [aka Aussie] couldn't have also come over....

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Two out of three...Keith...

The first, is congrats for the quilt subsection on the forum, looking forward to seeing Cathie's and others work...

The second, is congrats on the tender build thus far....

BUT third, Trev must have corrupted you!!??...How can a Geelong boy and a Ford fan have a "Storm" logo???

Cheers, Peter...

PS - Sounds like you had a top time of it with Trev....pity Ross [aka Aussie] couldn't have also come over....

"I'll Be" I really thought Crowie would be happy that I was educating you in the way's of Rugby League "But No"!.
    I don't understand.
    I can only guess that's what can happen to a Cane Toad that's spent to long disguised as a Cockroach!.

Tenders looking great mate.

Cheers
    Trev.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    "I'll Be" I really thought Crowie would be happy that I was educating you in the way's of Rugby League "But No"!.
    I don't understand.
    I can only guess that's what can happen to a Cane Toad that's spent to long disguised as a Cockroach!.

Tenders looking great mate.

Cheers
    Trev.
    My apologies Trev, I thought your were discussing Storm Ute's not "cross country boxing" game of rugby league..........

BUT either way if Queensland a playing any sport, maroons to win ;
    other than that, I'm enjoy watching the Sydney Swans or should say the relocated South Melbourne.... .....

Cheers Peter....

Crowie,

I am so glad the Quilters Forum got up and running. I am flabbergasted that you thought it would be a - dare I say it - Holden. Go Melbourne Storm - but Geelong CATS - AFL are my favourites by a mile. See Cathie's post on the Quilters Forum. Thanks for the comments on the tender - guys.

It was great to see Trev and his bike. we all had a great day and then Monday morning.

Regards

Keith

Hi All

Assembled the chasis of the tender. I am pretty happy how it is coming together. The longer section in front of the wheels on the left hand side is where the tender will attach to the locomotive. The shorter section on the right is where the buffers will be.

It is amazing how many rivets were in place on the original tender. Will be cutting the heads off decking nails for a long time to make up all the rivets.

Regards

Keith

tender chasis together.jpg

I'm glad you have got lots of rivets to cut off, it will give me more time to finish your wheels. Should have them done tomorrow if I don't get sidetracked with the cricket.
    Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    I'm glad you have got lots of rivets to cut off, it will give me more time to finish your wheels. Should have them done tomorrow if I don't get sidetracked with the cricket.
    Thanks Dallas,

Go Aussies

Looking good Keith and have fun with all of the nails