Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Hi,

Did a bit more on the side chasis today. Still not happy with the "feet" of the pillow block supports (that is where the bolt holes have been marked in pencil). Will do something about that.

Made up some rivets. If you remember I wasn't too happy with aluminium rivets I purchased for my previous locomotive. By chance, I have a lot of spiral decking nails left over from patio renovations etc. The head of the nail are domed perfectly for a rivet. So just cut the heads off. Pretty cheap solution.

The compression springs that are used to support the main drive wheel plummer blocks were hand made. The wire was wrapped around itself (using the wire as a mandrel). This is called a wrap test in Wire Manufacturing terminology. Used to determine the effectiveness of Galvanized coatings. I used soft 2mm wire. I cleaned off the zinc using Hydrochloric acid. I will be painting the springs in the same "Cast Iron" grey that I will use for the chasis.

Fairly happy with how it looks so far (except as mentioned above). Still a lot of sanding and smoothing to do using fine grit on the sides of chasis.

Regards

Keith

side chasis.jpgSpring rivet.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking great mate
    The nail heads do the job very well as rivet heads.

Cheers
    Trev.

Rivets and springs are looking great. Looking at the bottom of the pillow blocks I think I can see what you mean.

It is surprising what you collect when making things like model etc. If you and Trev are anything like me I have those little plastic draw units full of all sorts of bits and pieces from toothpaste tube caps to a wild array of different sized wire and anything inbetween. For example split pins I use to make ship handrails along with wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Rivets and springs are looking great. Looking at the bottom of the pillow blocks I think I can see what you mean.

It is surprising what you collect when making things like model etc. If you and Trev are anything like me I have those little plastic draw units full of all sorts of bits and pieces from toothpaste tube caps to a wild array of different sized wire and anything inbetween. For example split pins I use to make ship handrails along with wire.
    Derek

Figured out what I am going to do to the bottom of the pillow block supports. You will have to wait and see, but think you may be impressed. It looks a bit @#$%%* at the moment.

The problem with accumulating things is remembering where the heck you put them. Maybe something to do with age and loss of brain cells.

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

A lot happier with progress today. I modified the bottom of the bearing support legs. Inserted steel braces between each of the bearing supports and "rivetted" them in place. I attached the leaf spring on the trailing wheel (left side of photo). Drilled the leaf spring and temporarily inserted the compression spring so people can see where it fits. Below this is where the pillow block bearing will support the trailing wheel.
    The leaf springs are situated above the main drive wheels as shown in the photo. Still have to make brackets and shafts for each of the springs to enable them to be secured to the chasis. Placed the compression springs in location where they will be sitting when bearings and wheels are in place just to show what they will be like.
    I have found on this build that you must carry out a lot of detailed work, drilling, securing and fitting on each individual side otherwise if you tried to do it with the frame assembled - it would be a nightmare.
    The can of VB is there again to give some idea of the size. The locomotive section (as shown) is 730mm long.

Regards

Keith

Chasis Progressing.jpg

Top Shelf Stuff Keith.
    Unlike the beverage your using to show scale.

Keep the good work coming but don't over do it.

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Top Shelf Stuff Keith.
    Unlike the beverage your using to show scale.

Keep the good work coming but don't over do it.

Cheers mate
    Trev.
    Trev,

The only reason I use the can is because I don't drink it. Got a few Coronas to drink but won't use them to demonstrate scale. May overdo it on them. LOL.

Thanks for your concern about my health.

Regards

Keith

Thumbs up

As always looking top notch. If it was not for the can it could pass for an image of full size.
    You have good image recording skills.
    Looking forward to the next installment.

You didn't waste any time putting your new ideas into action. The "rivets" look great.
    Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    You didn't waste any time putting your new ideas into action. The "rivets" look great.
    Thanks Dallas,

Springs look great as well. The HCl really cleaned them up well. As we discussed - there are larger spiral decking nails at Bunnings and they have a larger domed head which would be really successful as larger "rivets" compared to the smaller ones I have used so far. These work out a lot cheaper than buying normal aluminium domed head rivets.

Have a good day at work. Sorry !! but at least you get paid.

Regards

Keith

Even though the frame differs slightly from the plans it does not look out of place. The frames are looking great Keith.

I remember someone telling me when I did the model boats if it looks right then it is right. This was because when fitting stanchions on to the model at the correct scale they looked totally out of scale even though they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Even though the frame differs slightly from the plans it does not look out of place. The frames are looking great Keith.

I remember someone telling me when I did the model boats if it looks right then it is right. This was because when fitting stanchions on to the model at the correct scale they looked totally out of scale even though they weren't.
    Thanks Derek,

Appreciate your comments. Even when looking at some of the plans, things differ from the original. It is good there is a website dedicated to the Lion in the UK. It is going to be very helpful when building this loco.

Again thanks for your comments.

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

Today I worked on the second half of the chasis. It seems much easier when you have to repeat something. You have your techniques and methods and things seem to go better. I had concerns yesterday on how I was going to fit the 45 degree and 30 degree stays at each end of the chasis. I couldn't drill into the bearing supports - it would not look right. Amazingly at 3.00am this morning I woke up with the idea. Think I must be mad thinking and dreaming of what I am building.
    I used 5mm steel round and bent it to the approximate shape. I then ground flats on each end that would allow me to drill and rivet the stay into place. I then finished the bending to shape and the cut rivets out of the spiral nails. I then secured the stays to the chasis by drilling, and then aralditing the rivets into position. I am using the domino paint (cast iron colour) and dabbing it on to give the effect of cast iron. I am happy with the outcome.

Regards

Keith

Angled stay.jpg2 sides.jpg

I am happy with the outcome.
    Regards
    Keith.

Reckon I would be to!.

Cheers
    Trev.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi All,

Today I worked on the second half of the chasis. It seems much easier when you have to repeat something. You have your techniques and methods and things seem to go better. I had concerns yesterday on how I was going to fit the 45 degree and 30 degree stays at each end of the chasis. I couldn't drill into the bearing supports - it would not look right. Amazingly at 3.00am this morning I woke up with the idea. Think I must be mad thinking and dreaming of what I am building.
    I used 5mm steel round and bent it to the approximate shape. I then ground flats on each end that would allow me to drill and rivet the stay into place. I then finished the bending to shape and the cut rivets out of the spiral nails. I then secured the stays to the chasis by drilling, and then aralditing the rivets into position. I am using the domino paint (cast iron colour) and dabbing it on to give the effect of cast iron. I am happy with the outcome.

Regards

Keith

Angled stay.jpg2 sides.jpg
    G'Day Keith, They are amazingly realistic sir....sir class job, indeed... Cheers, Peter

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast