Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi Handyjack.

The Lion does have a crossheads to hold the piston rods parallel and in line. Even though I am building partly to replica, I have ignored this part. (One of the reasons this not in scale modelling section). I wanted to include some of the main running components, but gets really difficult and fiddly in timber and the size I am building (fingers not as "nimble" as they used to be). Didn't want this just to be a cosmetic look, but still not a "live Steam" model so to speak, but will try to add extra components to give it a realistic look. Hope that all makes sense.
    Thanks for your comments and great knowledge regarding locomotives, most appreciated. Please continue with your comments and information - I am really keen to learn as much as I can about steam locomotives.

Best Regards

Keith
    I can understand, not everything works well when scaled down.
    12":1' is a good scale to work on but the parts get heavy and it is expensive!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    I can understand, not everything works well when scaled down.
    12":1' is a good scale to work on but the parts get heavy and it is expensive!

And BIG, but would love a full scale loco in the backyard, ALTHOUGH Cathie may have something to say about it.

Thanks

Keith

Go 2/3 scale mate.
    You'll fit it in!.

Yeah, wouldn't be much bigger than a 2/3 Indian

Still BIG, no room to build anything else. Having trouble finding space at the moment with my stuff. Trev - you must have difficulty with your "motorbike museum" finding space for everything you have made.
    Cathie just came in and said I am addicted to the Forum and what am I doing. She said - NO BIG TRAINS

Regards

Keith

Space is no problem for me, after building the Dalek and K9 from Doctor Who.
    I made a Tardis and put everything inside it!

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Space is no problem for me, after building the Dalek and K9 from Doctor Who.
    I made a Tardis and put everything inside it!

Cheers mate
    Trev.
    Always thinking !!

Hi All,

I have come in from the shed. Thermometer has reached 40 degrees out there. Lasted 5 hours, now too hot !!

Productive day though.

I have made up a new drive axle shaft. Thanks to Handyjack who put me straight - I needed the bearings to be at 90 degrees to each other, not 180 degrees. To modify the shaft, I cut the centre piece out and then drilled the remaining offset pieces so I could then punch the aluminium out of the MDF. I then made up a new aluminium centre section and then aligned the bearings with a square so the are at 90 degrees. Worked pretty well.

I machined up my trailing wheel axle out of aluminium, so I now have the 3 main shafts for the locomotive.

On my last main post, I said the motion plate had to be modified so the crank shafts wouldn't foul. I did this with my dremel and now the crank sits central.

I did a minor assembly of the 3 shafts with wheels and one crank in place. Looks OK at this early stage. Some wheels still need to be sanded. The wood in the bearing location above the wheels is to allow me to check heights etc (This is where the compression springs will be located)

Happy with today's outcome so far. Might still get out in the shed.

Regards

Keith

forty.jpgminor assembly2.jpgminor assembly1.jpg3 shafts.jpgenlarge motion plate.jpgnew shaft4.jpgnew shaft3.jpgnew Shaft2.jpgnew shaft1.jpgminor assembly3.jpg

Really nice work mate!.
    Look's fantastic.

Cheers
    Trev.

Looking great Keith. You're a brave man working in this temperature, but you have made plenty of progress.

Hi,

Made up the second piston crank arm (if that's what you call it) to the drive axle. Happy they sit in the centre of the motion plate.

Been doing some experimental trial work today. Painted the mock wheel I made a few weeks ago (not even sanded up) just to see how it would look - not sure about the colour - maybe needs to be a bit more "British Racing Green". Hard to determine. Also played around with Gold Leaf. I will be using this on a number of parts of the loco. Never used it before - very fragile stuff.

Regards

Keith

second shaft in position.jpgtrial work.jpg

"...piston crank arm..."? The part from the crankshaft (crank pin) to the crosshead and piston rod is called the connecting rod.
    Hopefully the attached document will help explain terms. It is copied from "Steam" by Reid & Renshaw.

As always Keith your work is amazing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    "...piston crank arm..."? The part from the crankshaft (crank pin) to the crosshead and piston rod is called the connecting rod.
    Hopefully the attached document will help explain terms. It is copied from "Steam" by Reid & Renshaw.

As always Keith your work is amazing.

Thanks Mate,

I knew that you would get me the correct terminology.

Regards

Keith

Fiddly work today - I think as you get older your fingers get bigger.

Made up the lubricator and connection from the steam actuator. Secured the lubricator to the front of the cylinder block. Made up wooden "angle iron" to secure it. As it is fitted to top end of cylinder block - it is at the 5 degree angle. This doesn't affect the linkages or arms positioning.

Painted half the wheel in British Racing Green (hard to see in photo - right hand side). Looks much better.

Have a good day.

(PS - I got good report from doctor today - pretty happy. Almost over the crash)

Regards

Keith

oil lubricator.jpgbr green.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    I got good report from doctor today - pretty happy. Almost over the crash.

Regards

Keith
    Your work on Lion is top class Keith, but the news from the Doctor is even better!.

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast