Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Your work on Lion is top class Keith, but the news from the Doctor is even better!.

Cheers mate
    Trev.
    Thanks Trev,

Really appreciate your comments - been a bit tough. Big practice at Bowling Club tomorrow - see how I go, depends on this on whether can play pennant on 17th.

Whatever happens, happens - lifes' GREAT

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have looked in on occasions but am now just getting around to catching up again. Well what can I say Keith the train is coming along in leaps and bounds. I see that you have had a remake of the crank shaft by rotating it 90 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    I have looked in on occasions but am now just getting around to catching up again. Well what can I say Keith the train is coming along in leaps and bounds. I see that you have had a remake of the crank shaft by rotating it 90 deg.
    Yes Derek, hope you are well. The crankshaft wasn't as difficult to modify as I thought it would be. The lubricator was fiddly and glad it is out of the way now. Need to finish off the sanding of the wheels and then start on the wheel bearings.

Look after yourself

Regards

Keith

Hi,

No work yesterday - look after grandson day.

Today - made up the smokebox support bracket (made out of solid MDF) The square support section at the rear end of the locomotive. Also sanding wheels.

I have used the VB can as an indicator (again) of the size of the locomotive. The chasis, without tender is 740mm long, 280mm wide and 250mm high to the top of the leaf springs.

Regards

Keith

PS - Bowls hitout went well - NO ongoing effects - ready for pennant on 17th
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spent the last couple of days sanding and finishing the loco wheels. I hate sanding. Gave them a coat of paint. Came up OK I think. Not sure whether to leave them as satin or have them as a gloss. I have done 2 coats so far. Any suggestions ?

Started work on the wheel bearings. Sized up roughly using the table saw. Then marked them and drilled and cut. I used the bandsaw (not butterknife Trev) on the PINE to cut out the recesses where they slide up and down the bearing supports. Ignore the scuff paint marks on the wire chasis supports (in the photo), will clean them up later.

Regards

Keith

Looking great Keith.
    With the wheels you might like to try a satin clear coat.
    It will darken the colour you have by a shade or two, and will give them a light sheen.

Are you going to paint the raw edge of the wheels?.
    Gunmetal maybe.

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Looking great Keith.
    With the wheels you might like to try a satin clear coat.
    It will darken the colour you have by a shade or two, and will give them a light sheen.

Are you going to paint the raw edge of the wheels?.
    Gunmetal maybe.

Cheers mate
    Trev.
    Thanks Trev, I hadn't thought of a satin clear coat, only thought of gloss clear coat. Will give it a go. Yes definitely going to paint the edges of the wheels gunmetal grey but will finish off the number of green coats first.

Thanks for your comments and suggestion

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Spent the last couple of days sanding and finishing the loco wheels. I hate sanding. Gave them a coat of paint. Came up OK I think. Not sure whether to leave them as satin or have them as a gloss. I have done 2 coats so far. Any suggestions ?

Started work on the wheel bearings. Sized up roughly using the table saw. Then marked them and drilled and cut. I used the bandsaw (not butterknife Trev) on the PINE to cut out the recesses where they slide up and down the bearing supports. Ignore the scuff paint marks on the wire chasis supports (in the photo), will clean them up later.

Regards

Keith
    You and me both on the sanding Keith. The wheel are looking good. Not sure if you can get this varnish over there but I use it a lot as it does not change the colour of anything underneath.

Polyvine

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    You and me both on the sanding Keith. The wheel are looking good. Not sure if you can get this varnish over there but I use it a lot as it does not change the colour of anything underneath.

Polyvine

Thanks Derek,

Nothing on their Website about Australia but will make further enquiries locally.

Best Regards

Keith

Hi,

Made up the wheel bearings today. Drilled the axle holes then used bandsaw to roughly cut out the recesses where they slide up and down the bearing horn (that is what they call it on some drawings I have).
    My first attempt on the 6 wheel bearings was OK but I wasn't really happy with it. Too much play in the bearing slides. You could see gaps. I think I was a bit slack in my first effort.

Made up another six - this time took a lot more care. Used bandsaw and then used a file and sandpaper to finish off to get a sliding fit. Lot of back and forth assembling and dismantling to get it correct.
    Painted them in gunmetal grey. It looks the same colour as chasis in the photo but in reality there is a fair bit of difference in colour. I will be painting the running sections of the wheels in this same colour.

Regards

Keith

bearings1.jpgbearings2.jpg

Keith, You better make the fire box , cos your going like a train on fire. The wheels are great. john.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

You certainly have made good progress in the past week Keith and got back to bowls too...good to hear all's well...

Keep the photos & notes coming sir....cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by nine fingers View Post
    Keith, You better make the fire box , cos your going like a train on fire. The wheels are great. john.

Thanks John,

It's great to see everyone is getting into the puns.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    You certainly have made good progress in the past week Keith and got back to bowls too...good to hear all's well...

Keep the photos & notes coming sir....cheers, Peter
    Thanks Peter,

Had 2 big hitouts at bowls and no repercussions. Ready for pennant next Saturday.

I am loving building this loco. Probably more enjoyable than the Trevithick "Peny-Darren". Good to see you back

Regards

Keith

Hi all,

Had to make up the bearing retainer plates at the base of the bearing horns. Needed to insert studs and then make up the plates. I used 1/8 inch BSW metal threads and cut the thread to length. Discarded the heads. Drilled each horn in the centre and then araldited the studs in position. Made up each plate to suit each horn. Important to witness mark each plate and horn to ensure they are the correct one to the individual bearing horn. Look pretty good I reckon.

Painted the running rims of each wheel in gunmetal grey. Then spay painted the wheels in clear satin acrylic. (Derek - couldn't find the material you suggested in Australia, thanks though).

Made up a support plate to support the boiler. Little bit of extra work required on this as it just fouls on centre drive wheel crank. Easy fix.

I can adjust the wheel heights by altering the length of my bearing compression springs. Coming along OK.

Probably next step - Work on the boiler. Really looking forward to that, it may then start looking a bit like a locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast