Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Making up the cylinder, steam exhaust and lubricator system under the locomotive. The Loco will need to be turned upside down to view these mechanicals when complete.

Regards

Keith
    Put a mirror underneath and perhaps have the engine over a pit so the motion can be seen.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    Put a mirror underneath and perhaps have the engine over a pit so the motion can be seen.
    Great idea mate,

Working on the cylinder body and shaft glands at the moment. No photos yet, maybe tomorrow. I am making it so the piston shafts will operate when the drive wheels turn. Lubricator is actioned from a cylinder driven from the steam exhaust chamber sitting on top of the twin cylinders. This won't operate but it will be there as will the lubricator.

Thanks for your comments and suggestion

Regards

Keith

Hi,

No photos of the WIP today. Making up a lot of components for the main piston cylinders and steam actuator for the lubricator (also went Christmas shopping with Cathie this morning)

Beginning to think that this locomotive would be a lot easier to make out of steel than wood. Lots of small components that are fragile until assembled. But, I think that makes this build even more of a challenge. Broken parts can be made again !! Should definitely have photos of the cylinder and actuator tomorrow (finished Christmas shopping!!!).

Attached is a photo of drawing of what I am making - main steam cylinder, actuator and lubricator.

PS - My loco is double the sizes shown on the drawing.

Regards

Keith

Cylinder and Lub drg.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun to make with all those smaller bits Keith. At least I don't have to worry about the Christmas shopping she won't let me go and do any.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun to make with all those smaller bits Keith. At least I don't have to worry about the Christmas shopping she won't let me go and do any.
    Derek,

Fun and frustration built into one. Lucky you about the Christmas shopping Ha Ha.

All the best

Keith

Hi all,

Been working on the main drive steam cylinders. These are located underneath the chasis on the Lion at the front of the locomotive. There are cylinder covers and glands at the piston shaft end. These were pretty difficult to make. Initially tried to make as one piece and shape the gland. This looked very ordinary. I decided to machine up the components in the lathe and then made up the gland holding flange out of 6mm MDF. I then glued the 3 component parts together and clamped them up. Came up fairly well. I put gaskets in between the cylinder body and the steam exhaust chamber and also between this chamber and the top cover. Used 3mm MDF for the gaskets. The shaft above the RH side piston shaft is the actuator shaft for the locomotive lubricator. The drive arm goes from the buckle on this shaft to the lubricator (will be sitting behind the cylinders at the front of the loco). I am currently making the support struts that go from the cylinder cover glands to the motion plate.
    Photos show the main cylinders, side view with the 5 degree angle so the connecting rod shaft won't foul the from wheels and a view of the cylinder cover plates at the front of the locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Steam cylinders and shaft.jpgPistons side view.jpgBack of cylinders.jpg

Very nice work Keith.
    But that's pretty much what we've come to expect from you!.

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Looking after Josh today, but managed to get out in the shed between plays and sleeps. Made up supports for the cylinder body and motion plate.
    Also made up the turnbuckles for the piston shafts so we can connect to the conrod that will drive the main wheels. Dallas (Treecycle) has been very busy and turned up the blanks for my wheels. Thanks heaps mate.

Regards

Keith

piston shafts.jpg8_Stack.jpg10_2-Piece.jpg

Looking really good mate.

Cheers
    Trev.

Looking after Josh today, but managed to get out in the shed between plays and sleeps. Made up supports for the cylinder body and motion plate.
    Also made up the turnbuckles for the piston shafts so we can connect to the conrod that will drive the main wheels. Dallas (Treecycle) has been very busy and turned up the blanks for my wheels. Thanks heaps mate.

Regards

Keith

My pleasure mate. I hope they're up to your expectations.

Extremely so.

Thanks

Keith

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Regards

Keith

Hi all,

Been working on the main drive steam cylinders. These are located underneath the chasis on the Lion at the front of the locomotive. There are cylinder covers and glands at the piston shaft end. These were pretty difficult to make. Initially tried to make as one piece and shape the gland. This looked very ordinary. I decided to machine up the components in the lathe and then made up the gland holding flange out of 6mm MDF. I then glued the 3 component parts together and clamped them up. Came up fairly well. I put gaskets in between the cylinder body and the steam exhaust chamber and also between this chamber and the top cover. Used 3mm MDF for the gaskets. The shaft above the RH side piston shaft is the actuator shaft for the locomotive lubricator. The drive arm goes from the buckle on this shaft to the lubricator (will be sitting behind the cylinders at the front of the loco). I am currently making the support struts that go from the cylinder cover glands to the motion plate.
    Photos show the main cylinders, side view with the 5 degree angle so the connecting rod shaft won't foul the from wheels and a view of the cylinder cover plates at the front of the locomotive.

Regards

Keith

Steam cylinders and shaft.jpgPistons side view.jpgBack of cylinders.jpg
    G'Day Keith, When you take just a quick look at the already painted section with the brass & aluminum showing you'd swear that you have made the model out of metal..... VERY WELL DONE, Sir..... coming along great guns... Cheers, Peter

Regards

Keith

Even though this is underneath and may not be seen the attention to detail is great

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    My pleasure mate. I hope they're up to your expectations.
    They certainly would pass my expectations and most definitely be fitted onto any model I would attempt. Great job no wonder Keith is pleased with them.

Hi,

Back in the shed today. I worked on the main drive wheels (18 spokes) and trailing wheels (11 spokes). I drew up the wheel spokes with correct angle spacings for the differing spoke configurations. I photocopied these so the would all be the same for the 18 spoke and 11 spoke wheels and then glued them on the inner blanks. I then cut out the spokes using my band saw. The inner blanks (spoke section) and out rims are a press fit. I placed PVA glue around the inside of the outer rim and pressed in the inner spoked section. I then went around and placed extra glue at the contact point of each spoke. I then removed excess glue. I will allow it to dry overnight before doing any filing or sanding work on the spoked wheels. I reckon they will be pretty strong and with careful work the spokes won't break. Didn't break or crack any spokes in the bandsaw cutting process. Glad I did some practice a week or so ago to get technique correct.

Regards

Keith

Wheel3.jpgWheel2.jpgWheel1.jpgWheel4.jpgWheel5.jpgWheel6.jpg

It looks like your on a roll mate. (see told you never miss an opportunity)
    But they really do look great Keith.
    I think your right they should be more than strong enough.
    Keep up the great work.

Cheers mate
    Trev.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast