Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    You can definitely say that you are on track now Keith, sorry could not resist.

The track is looking good how long is each section and how many sections are you making as well as how will you join them or will you just butt them up to each other. Will they be fitted to a base board as you did before.

So many questions and should keep you thinking for a bit.
    Hi Derek,

Thanks for your comments and queries.

There will only be one section of track. The loco and tender is 1330mm overall length. The track will only be 1500mm long. It will be on a baseboard, but this will be finished off a lot better than the 1804 Trevithick locomotive. The track will also be ballasted. I haven't got heaps of room to display - particularly when you build 1/6th scale. That why the limited track length. Cathie said I can build display shelving for the locomotives in our enclosed patio area. Where the dog sleeps. I will take a photo to let you see. My next loco is going to be pretty big - although still only about 1/6th scale. I am going to design my own loco using the Lion, Stirling and Crampton as my 3 base prototypes. The Stirling plans I bought were very good but too much similarities to the Lion. It would be like building another Lion. The plans were for a 2-2-2 configuration. My thoughts are to have a 4-2-2 configuration with a 6 wheel tender. This will be a "Keith" build locomotive (Ha-Ha). I will need to do quite a lot of engineering design work before and during building.
    I reckon I still have a couple of weeks build left on the Lion. It's been really enjoyable.

Regards

Keith

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Well

I went and tried to get some of the "rust" preparer at Bunnings - $80 for a sample. I will make my own. Thanks for suggestion.

Made up a base wash for the sleepers and then whilst wet added mission brown in streaks - think it came up OK. Primed all the rail clamps yesterday as well.

Regards

Keith

clamps and sleepers.jpg

Wonderful work Keith ! Your resourcefulness is amazing.
    Regards,
    Gus

Hi Guys,

Painted up the rails and rail clamps in Bluescope grey. Allowed it to dry 24 hours. Then I used some cheap red oxide poster paint and made up a wash. Painted this on and then used a cloth to wipe it off. Then used a hot air gun to dry it. I think it looks a bit like rust. With the screws I didn't wipe the wash off - just dried it with the hot air gun. Gave a bit thicker "rust" coating.

Regards

Keith

Rusty rails.jpgRusty screws.jpg

Hi all,

Decided that I would make up a really good base for the loco compared to what I did for the "Peny-Darren". Routed out sides to fit the MDF base. Mitre joins at the corners. I painted it the mission brown so if there is any gap in the ballast between sleepers it will look like earth.
    Decided to also make buffer stops so the loco won't come off the rails when displayed. My first real go at woodturning - (used 50mm square wood offcuts) - thanks Dallas (Treecycle) for encouragement. Rough but I am happy so far. Used metal turning lathe to turn end as my really cheap wood lathe doesn't have a chuck.

Regards

Keith

I have included a photo of the Peny-Darren base for comparison.

Base1.jpgBase4.jpgBufferstop3.jpg

Very nice indeed mate!.
    But not to much of the woodturning Keith.
    It's a dark and winding road my friend.
    Few ever seem to find their way back!!!!!!!.

Cheers
    Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Very nice indeed mate!. But not to much of the woodturning Keith.It's a dark and winding road my friend.Few ever seem to find their way back!!!!!!!.CheersTrev.
    Trev,I will have to print out your response and give it to a few of the guys at the Woodworking Club.What are your thoughts Dallas ?RegardsKeith

Just another skill to round out all the talents required to produce top projects.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

You could say the Keith has SQUARED the turning thing away!!!!

It's amazing when you consider all the components that go into any build, particularly talking about the locomotives, on how much is dependent on turning and using a lathe. I know I have used my metal turning lathe a lot, but the wood turning gives a new dimension. I will need to use both to keep the locomotive wheels turning - particularly when I get onto the new loco. Thanks for your comments.

Regards

Keith

Light at the end of the tunnel (if I had a tunnel).

Had a look at the railway tracks around Geelong and there is no way that I had enough rust on my tracks. I did and extra 2 layers of red oxide on the tracks, rail clamps and the end chocks. I think they now look fairly realistic. I bought a can of automotive spray (pewter - thanks for suggestion of colour Trev) and sprayed a light coat along the top of the rails. I think this now looks like normal loco wear on top of track.

I have made up the track buffer and rail chocks (see in forground of photo) Added some weeds (artificial from Spotlight) around the buffers.

I used 50% PVA glue 50% water for my adhesive spray for the ballast. Probably another coat tomorrow but it is solid now.

A bit more work on the locomotive (throttle) and also on the rail clamps to secure the rails. Nearly there.

Regards

Keith

IMG_0973.jpg

Thumbs up

Is that a model of track? I thought it was a local siding.
    It is amazing how plants quickly grow on railway tracks. A lot depends on how clean the ballast is and how long sing it was sprayed.

As always looking good.

As you know I am just catching up with all the posts I have missed while I have been away(No not inside) been to another rally for nearly a week totally shattered.

The track certainly does look like it should maybe a couple of fake plants to bring in that authentic lookOK Keith I'll go back to the rally again

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi all,

My first real go at woodturning - (used 50mm square wood offcuts) - thanks Dallas (Treecycle) for encouragement. Rough but I am happy so far. Used metal turning lathe to turn end as my really cheap wood lathe doesn't have a chuck.
    That can be a very dangerous slope to get on

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    Very nice indeed mate!.
    But not to much of the woodturning Keith.
    It's a dark and winding road my friend.
    Few ever seem to find their way back!!!!!!!.

Cheers
    Trev.
    it is nice to be able to a bit of everything in woodwork luckily I can swap from turning to model making to carving OK the list goes on. But it can be very addictive Trev as well as handy for making some of those model parts

Do you think I need more weeds along the track ? I put them around the bases of the buffer stops

Regards

Keith

I think the addition of the odd one on the outer part of the rails as between them there are not any growing due to oil and the like dropping on the gravel and sleepers right along the centre leaving a dark grey to black mark all along the track. You could always say it is a new section of track therefore they have not yet grown