Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Although it doesn't help you with your shed, I find a perverse joy in seeing the neighbour have it come back to bite him.

It's like going into a fight...make sure your guard is up and all your flanks are covered...as well as your backside.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Although it doesn't help you with your shed, I find a perverse joy in seeing the neighbour have it come back to bite him.

It's like going into a fight...make sure your guard is up and all your flanks are covered...as well as your backside.
    And its not even my neighbour, its his late mother's house. I am only $500 down for the application at this point, they must be at least $10k down, probably more. I can wait, this is my retirement home! I have decided to focus my current energy on completing my private pilot licence, so the shed whilst I would really like it, is currently of little concern to me right now.

But I just rang council and there was a submission made against my relaxation on the 17th Dec, which is the day after I made a submission on their demolition application!! Looks like they may have fired a shot back!!

My application is currently with a "project manager" who is a 'built environment officer'. The lady I spoke to has sent an email to him asking him to contact me with regards to the status of the application.

Just got off phone to council. They have put a couple of conditions on it that I suggested and was planning to do anyway. Main one being a 1.8m rendered brick fence at rear to preserve street scape. Other than that guy on phone said he was going to push it through!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Good outcome, now forget the flying stuff and build the shed and do more woodwork, then be happy.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Quote Originally Posted by Superbunny View Post
    Good outcome, now forget the flying stuff and build the shed and do more woodwork, then be happy.

SB
    My pilot licence will be completed before the shed is finished so will get the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearo View Post
    My pilot licence will be completed before the shed is finished so will get the best of both worlds!

My MIL just got her pilots license, she works in a broom factory.

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    My MIL just got her pilots license, she works in a broom factory.
    Did she ever live in a unit in Drummoyne.
    We used to hear her trying to bump start it in the unit above us.
    Jimcracks for the rich and/or wealthy. (aka GKB '88)

Quote Originally Posted by clear out View Post
    Did she ever live in a unit in Drummoyne.
    We used to hear her trying to bump start it in the unit above us.
    Sorry, she lived in Adelaide.

Well this has turned interesting, and I am not sure if its good or bad. Where I live (shorncliffe), all the neighbors on the block are fairly chatty and are opposed to the destruction of the streetscape wrt to the existing buildings.

The reason the direct neighbour (estate) is opposing my siting variation is because they want to demolish the houses next to me (I have 2 street frontage) so they can develop. So I mentioned this to the neighbour on the other side in passing cause I was off.

Now, the only reason I found out about the request to demolish was because they opposed my siting variation. Other neighbour has researched the house and found it was built prior to 1947 which makes it hard to demolish. He has also found the house was the first in brisbane to be constructed using that method (the predecessor to besser block, and required a court case to allow this type of construction). So other neighbour has started a full on assault to oppose the demolition, and not only that, but he has basically pulled in most of the other people on the street to submit opposition to council as a well. He mentioned tonight that they have successfully stopped a demolition of another house a few doors up. They are also submitting to both local and state for heritage listing so the property cannot ever be demolished.

So there you go. If the neighbours estate had not opposed my siting variation I would have been none the wiser and the house next door would be gone soon. Now it seems I have accidentally started a war between them and the rest of the street. I still dont know if this is a good or bad thing.
    Anything prior to 1947 needs to meet the DCP.
    I am a foreman for a unit developer in brisbane and we got knocked back on a dcp. In short we built 20 units AROUND the house and moved it on the block to a more suited location.

You might stop the demo of the house but if the land is big enough they could probably move it on the block and build up anyway.

Hows the progress on the shed anyway? Whats it going to be built of?

Quote Originally Posted by Bebbo View Post
    Anything prior to 1947 needs to meet the DCP.
    I am a foreman for a unit developer in brisbane and we got knocked back on a dcp. In short we built 20 units AROUND the house and moved it on the block to a more suited location.

You might stop the demo of the house but if the land is big enough they could probably move it on the block and build up anyway.

Hows the progress on the shed anyway? Whats it going to be built of?
    The place next door consists of 4 lots just under 300sqm each. The front house uses 2 lots (double width) and has a drive way using the 3rd lot. The small house down the back (the old servants house) is on a separate title on the 4th lot, under 300sqm. There is not many places they can move it too!!

The council guy I was talking too said he was going to push the approval through with the conditions. My certifier is not back till the 5th of Jan, so hopefully he will have the approval on the fax/email when he returns. I will crack a bottle of vino when I see the written approval!!!

The shed is just a sheet metal Titan, nothing fancy.

The first thing I will do when I get written approval is to give my surveyor a call and get him out to make sure there is no way the neighbor can complain about the location. The surveyor has already been notified just in case!

This is one heck of a good story. Swear i was reading a book. Now don`t spoil it for me by saying it was the butlers fault. Oh,good luck with the outcome Pearo.

Good call on the Surveyor...all my clients are surveyors and it's common to get into trouble when people start thinking......"I know where the boundary is, I'll save myself $X by not employing a Surveyor"...only to find later that there is a stuff up and it will cost 10 times $X to fix the problem.

Surveyors are a form of insurance....99% of the time they get it right....on the 1% they screw up, their Professional Indemnity Insurance will cover it.

This is my little push to use Surveyors with building setouts & boundary reinstatements. Don't complain that it costs $1000.....you may see them at your property for an hour and placed a couple of wooden pegs in the ground....The $1000 is to cover their costs for their expertise, years of study, cost of equipment, searches from Government Departments, professional insurances etc. It also covers the fact that for every hour in the field they spend about 4 hours either traveling to your job & doing the necessary computations in the office to ensure the job is done correctly.

The place next door consists of 4 lots just under 300sqm each. The front house uses 2 lots (double width) and has a drive way using the 3rd lot. The small house down the back (the old servants house) is on a separate title on the 4th lot, under 300sqm. There is not many places they can move it too!!

The council guy I was talking too said he was going to push the approval through with the conditions. My certifier is not back till the 5th of Jan, so hopefully he will have the approval on the fax/email when he returns. I will crack a bottle of vino when I see the written approval!!!

The shed is just a sheet metal Titan, nothing fancy.

The first thing I will do when I get written approval is to give my surveyor a call and get him out to make sure there is no way the neighbor can complain about the location. The surveyor has already been notified just in case!
    Before the surveyor comes around bang in some profiles so he can mark them. If you can con him into marking the boundary of your neighbour that could be handy at a later date.

Also what are you doing to try and keep the shed cool? Insulated roof/ceiling panels? Foil blanket under the roof sheets? Whirly bird? What's your internal lining going to be? Concrete slab? Epoxy floor?

Before the surveyor comes around bang in some profiles so he can mark them. If you can con him into marking the boundary of your neighbour that could be handy at a later date.
    Good Idea...most of the cost of the Surveyor is in the initial setup.....he has to do a minimum amount of work to establish the boundary anyway so I would instruct for a Part Ident to establish the Boundary then throw some nails or marks in profiles which are already there when they arrive should cost no extra.

I have already received a quote from the surveyor. They will mark all the boundaries and will place corner pegs and line markers. I am also going to request the put a second mark in at the opposite end of the shed from the rear boundary.

Do you thing I would be better off getting the earthworks done first? I know the boundaries around here are off by maybe 100-150mm so I could just get them to extend the earthworks by 200mm either side?

Also what are you doing to try and keep the shed cool? Insulated roof/ceiling panels? Foil blanket under the roof sheets? Whirly bird? What's your internal lining going to be? Concrete slab? Epoxy floor?
    I will cross that bridge when I get there!! The plan is to fit R3.0 blanket. Nothing less will suffice in Brisbane. This is the stuff I am thinking about: http://thermostruct.com.au/portfolio...ium-duty-foil/

The shed will have a sealed ceiling/mezzanine so that I can store all my camping gear above it. I am not entirely sure how I can make access to it and keep it sealed, but I will figure something out.

I am not sure about whirly birds, and this is something that I have been meaning to bounce of BobL. I plan to fit the dusty outside, so I am not sure what effect a whirly bird will have on the dusty performance. Once would assume that because a whirly bird is sucking that it probably wont impact on the performance, but I am not sure. I will try and seal off the ceiling so may not be an issue at all.

Floor is going to be epoxy painted concrete. Walls will be insulated with R3.0 batts also, although I am not sure how I am going to line the walls at this point. Possibly something like masonite. I can get a truckload off large packing crates, so maybe I can recycle them into wall linings! I would eventually like to put aircon in, but thats a long way off!!

One thing I would like to do with wall linings, is have a removable panel the whole way around the shed, so that if I decided to add/remove/change powerpoints etc I have easy access. No matter how well you plan this stuff you get to a point where you always wish you had done something slightly differently. For this reason, I would really like to make everything accessible at a later date. This may be as simple as just screwing all wall panels down. Not sure yet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast