Thread: Dog box.

Default Dog box.

Hi,
    I,ve been working on a resonator CBG using a dog bowl as the resonator. More an experiment than anything else but something I wanted to try. Started with hoop pine sides mitered and reinforced with a contrasting wood. I did a few CBGs with finger joints before but this is quicker and I reckon looks nicer. Front and back is meranti ply 3mm. Used some other scrap ply to beef up the ariund the cutout. This is the first CBG where I have not done a neck that went all the way through to the tail end. Resonator is in the way. I used roofing screws as they really grip and put in a plug so that the screws had something to bite on. Today I got to the test run with strings on and am quite pleased with the sound. Not too metalic but quite blusey all the same. Has had its first coat of varnish and still has the electrics to go in. Some pics of the build so far.
    Regards
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Keen to see how this goes, I have a C.B. Gitty resonator cone for a CBG but I don't know how to use it without the neck right through the box.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Cliff,
    I had been worried if I could manage a good neck attachment myself but turned out easier than I thought. Pic 3 is the plug so the screws are not in end grain. I used a forstner bit and went in most of the depth. In fact it could go all the way as the fret board covers it. Pic 4 is how I located the neck for marking the screw holes. The heel end is cut at an angle on the table saw to give the neck some rake. I went about 3* as I wanted some bridge height. No glue in the join yet and it was plenty rigid for the test play with screws alone. I may dab on some epoxy before final fitout just for peace of mind.
    Regards
    john

Hi,
    Well I finally got the dog box finished. Had to wait for some mail order bits for the electrics.
    I am now going to try a few different tuning and string sets to see how I can get the best sound from it. So far using light wire strings in stsndard and open G. Sounded quite bright but string tension very high and without a truss rod dont know if this is a good long term setup. Just as a try tuned same strings to gcea uke tuning but the thing then sounds very base like. Anyhow something to play around with.
    Some pics.
    Regards
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images