Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Time.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    I always taught my students both analogue and digital time telling skills.

A big advantage of analogue clocks is that you have a visual cue as to how much time is left, or conversely how much time has elapsed.
    So you are saying that mathematical skills are none existent also
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    My adult kids prefer the digital watches. They would be stuffed using a digital to find direction using the sun, but I guess they could guesstimate the dial if they could visualize it.

TT
    They would download the compass app on their phone, only good when the battery is charged
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    And I failed what was then HSC English.
    Yet I can read and write the language, as well as communicate in English.
    What is even more remarkable is that I have had articles published in magazines.
    And I failed the language at school!
    My grade 12 English teacher and I had a personality clash (I had a personality but she didn't) and as a result, my English marks bore no correlation to my ability either.

Not sure what the rating system is now but in Queensland where I did grade 12 you were rated 1 to 7; I was rated 1 for Senior English, the lowest possible mark.

After completing high school, while in the Army, I went on to learn a number of foreign languages and have translated and interpreted to and from these languages and English at diplomatic and governmental level. I wrote reports that were sent to the Australian government and other selected governments throughout the world.

When I got out of the Army I worked as a part-time journalist writing two different newspapers, each published fortnightly. I too, have had work published in magazines etc.

I think it is safe to say that HandyJack and I both chose not to believe what our teachers thought of us and went out to do our best anyway. How many others with talents have been disheartened by the opinions of others and chosen not to achieve.

Cheers

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    So you are saying that mathematical skills are none existent also
    What the hell gives you that idea from what I have said.

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    ...chose not to believe what our teachers thought of us and went out to do our best anyway. How many others with talents have been disheartened by the opinions of others and chosen not to achieve.
    I could never spell words correctly. The lack of the ability to spell caused me to fail miserably at English and Latin. I knew that I would never succeed in higher education because of my spelling deficiency.

I barely got out of high school (year 12) with a diploma. For years I struggled with spelling and finally a gentleman came along and showed me the spelling errors that I made.

This gentleman didn't hit me in the back of the head with a ruler nor whack my knuckles at every spelling mistake. This gentleman just pointed out the words that were in error and offered some correct spellings that might fit the word I was trying to use. I would look at the correction and try to understand where I made my error rather than just accept the corrected spelling. This was something that I never had in 12 years of school. Today I'm not the greatest speller in the world but surely vastly improved from my early school years.

So, Thank You Bill Gates for your spell checker built into Word and Windows. You have taught me something that no teacher ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    So, Thank You Bill Gates for your spell checker built into Word and Windows. You have taught me something that no teacher ever could.
    Yes, we all have a lot to be thankful for with the good old spelling checker.

"Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a quay and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its really ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect in it's weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew."
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

The perils of the spell checker....

When report cards were first done on computer, the staff were instructed to ensure that spelling checkers were run as typing was not a primary skill for most. Unfortunately, only American "English" was available at the time and the recognition of names was a constant problem - it would be worse today. The worst / best (depends on your view) error was when the checker replaced the name "Phillip" with "Phallic".

Fortunately, the error was caught in time - I'm sure Mum and Dad would not have been pleased.
    Regards,
    Bob

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Well I owe the spell checker a lot. After commencing my tertiary studies in my mid 40's after a life time of trade work, my writing and spelling were atrocious. It was bad enough getting my head around thinking for my self and justifying those writings without having some doctorate student marking my work and slaming my grammer/spelling. I learnt on the run.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12