Thread: Clear Pine

Default Clear Pine

Hi Guys,

I need some clear pine for a job that will be 2 pack sprayed white.

Brittons etc don't stock it.

Any ideas? Don't say bunnings.

Cam

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

No idea what the job is, or the dimensions you need, but I had a fair bit of time operating a CNC router for a kitchen maker. We did a lot of 2 pack doors and panels in Satin coated MDF sheet and it gives a magnificently smooth surface once 2 packed. Our only prep was to cut to size and form hinge pockets as required on the CNC, and give the edges a light sand to smooth them and break the edges. The painter gave the Satin surfaces a very light sand on a wide belt sander, primed them, second (even lighter) pass through the sander and then finish coats. Every component would come out mirror smooth and shiny.

While the average recreational wood worker probably hasn't got access to a large format CNC, a decent table saw, track saw, or circ saw with a fine tooth blade and guide can cut the stuff, and a router and guide can trim the edges to a near CNC finish. Just seems a bit pointless using a fairly rare resource like prime clear pine for something that is being painted and needs an absolutely spick surface before painting.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Bunnings Bunnings Bunnings
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    No idea what the job is, or the dimensions you need, but I had a fair bit of time operating a CNC router for a kitchen maker. We did a lot of 2 pack doors and panels in Satin coated MDF sheet and it gives a magnificently smooth surface once 2 packed. Our only prep was to cut to size and form hinge pockets as required on the CNC, and give the edges a light sand to smooth them and break the edges. The painter gave the Satin surfaces a very light sand on a wide belt sander, primed them, second (even lighter) pass through the sander and then finish coats. Every component would come out mirror smooth and shiny.

While the average recreational wood worker probably hasn't got access to a large format CNC, a decent table saw, track saw, or circ saw with a fine tooth blade and guide can cut the stuff, and a router and guide can trim the edges to a near CNC finish. Just seems a bit pointless using a fairly rare resource like prime clear pine for something that is being painted and needs an absolutely spick surface before painting.

Thanks for the help. It's for a kids bunk bed. It will also have sprayed mdf components, but the posts etc need to be solid.
    Cheers

Getting clear pine is a nightmare.

I make lots and lots of kids furniture in pine/mdf and spend too much time filling, priming and sanding. I hate priming, sanding and painting.

I've also looked everywhere in Canberra. Our suppliers and stores are run off their feet, for they NEVER return calls, emails and answer enquiries. It's a nirvana here where they have the luxury to choose their customers.

To everyone else - there is the choice of either rubbish, dross, crap or firewood seconds.

This will make you laugh, but Bunnings is the best...not just any one though, but the high volume building supply one in our industrial area Fyshwick, and ONLY the MGP10 45x90's as 6 metres.

The shorter stuff is the absolute crap left over after its been selected out at least 7 different times.

The 6 + metre stuff is devine. Smooth, buttery, reasonably clear, straight, no twists, drrrryyyyy and felling shake free.

The rest? Describing it as firewood is an insult to firewood. Houses built of it will end up as twisted as Quasimodo or the decision cycle of a Labor government.

Edit: I was told 3 days ago that Turner Building Supplies in Fyshwick also stocks The Good Stuff.

Best clears are out of South Australia. The oldest pine plantations were put in by Woods and Forests SA. Back in the '80s I was selling 35 year old clears by the semi load. Still available out of SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanism View Post
    Getting clear pine is a nightmare.

I make lots and lots of kids furniture in pine/mdf and spend too much time filling, priming and sanding. I hate priming, sanding and painting.

I've also looked everywhere in Canberra. Our suppliers and stores are run off their feet, for they NEVER return calls, emails and answer enquiries. It's a nirvana here where they have the luxury to choose their customers.

To everyone else - there is the choice of either rubbish, dross, crap or firewood seconds.

This will make you laugh, but Bunnings is the best...not just any one though, but the high volume building supply one in our industrial area Fyshwick, and ONLY the MGP10 45x90's as 6 metres.

The shorter stuff is the absolute crap left over after its been selected out at least 7 different times.

The 6 + metre stuff is devine. Smooth, buttery, reasonably clear, straight, no twists, drrrryyyyy and felling shake free.

The rest? Describing it as firewood is an insult to firewood. Houses built of it will end up as twisted as Quasimodo or the decision cycle of a Labor government.

Edit: I was told 3 days ago that Turner Building Supplies in Fyshwick also stocks The Good Stuff.

Thanks! That helps now I know to what to look for. cheers!

I feel your pain Cam, I am presently in Canada on holidays and visiting other woodies I have been amazed at the quality of their pine 4x2's and ply, so good I'm really envious of it.
    Hope you find what you need,
    Cheers, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
    Best clears are out of South Australia. The oldest pine plantations were put in by Woods and Forests SA. Back in the '80s I was selling 35 year old clears by the semi load. Still available out of SA.
    Sorry to be late in replying but Iam guessing this is a little outdated.
    Wirrabra inland from Pt Pirie had most of forest burnt last year
    Forrests around Adelaide are presently in deep S. (brown stuff) dont think there will be and quality timber left there.
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Have a look around Mt Gambia.