Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Col, I can appreciate that portability is a major issue for wood turners.

I'm unlikely to be making up any of my ideas in the near future as the logs I cut tend to be a bit heavy for any of these methods.

FWIW this is my one man log lifter that I use when setting up for chainsaw milling.
    It's based on a kangaroo jack that is good for around 3.5 tonnes but the heaviest log I have lifted is around 2.5 tonnes

The lifter only works on one end of a log at a time but by supporting swapping ends I can eventually get a big log about 750 mm above the ground.
    For safety reasons I usually only lift about 4" before adding supporting pieces of 2 x 4 s underneath, then I lift it another 4" etc
    For larger logs I usually only lift one end of the log, while for smaller logs I have a pair of 500 mm high custom made saw horses that can take a ton which I place under underneath.
    Getting the log off the ground means I can stand up to the log while milling it as opposed milling it on my knees.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hey guys, I am a bit lost with the physics here. If the log is tied at 500mm from the bottom of the ladder and weighs 100kg and you lift at 2.5m along the ladder, you only have to apply approx 25kg. Is that correct? Where is my Physicist daughter when I need her?
    rgds,
    Crocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Croc View Post
    Hey guys, I am a bit lost with the physics here. If the log is tied at 500mm from the bottom of the ladder and weighs 100kg and you lift at 2.5m along the ladder, you only have to apply approx 25kg. Is that correct? Where is my Physicist daughter when I need her?
    rgds,
    Crocy.
    The basic physics equation is the clockwise torque (force x radius) = the anticlockwise torque

or
    0.5 x 100 = 2.5 x effort

This means the effort = .5 x 100/2.5 = 20 kg

Strictly speaking the torque due to the ladder also needs to be considered.

Another idea

Instead of having the little shelf , the one I made years ago had extended arms . Worked great for getting large chucks into the trailer without cutting them in half. This one is from http://www.hiltonhandcraft.co/Articles/LogLift.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12