Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New Hercus owner

Hi All, looks like I have found that corner of the internet where all the Hercus owners are gathered

After much searching and debating on what to buy for my first metalwork lathe I came across a deal too good to pass up so I jumped on it and got a very nice old Hercus model A. It came from a poor old fellow who had come to that point in his life of downsizing his belongings and accomodation, so he was having a massive clear out.
    Condition wise its a bit dirty and I have been doing a lot of cleaning, but in terms of wear it shows very little, the old man used it maybe 5 times in 25 years, and his mate the previous owner was apparently a hobby machinist who was 'very particular' about it, and hence the truckload of various bits it came with. Literally my cars boot and back seat piled high! Im an absolute novice but myself and all who have looked over it agree its had a very easy life. It runs and sounds very smooth and the ways and carriages are very tight.

But thats about where my knowledge stops really, I have only basic experience with metal turning and I will be learning properly from now on. Most of the stuff it came with I have no idea of its purpose so it will be fun find to find out.

The metal plate says Model A and serial no 7044. Here is a photo of it after I got it home and did my first quick test with a piece of bar stock.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Nice

Hi

That looks to be a very nice Hercus, the bed looks 'as new ' Is that a taper attachment I see ?

It has never had teenage boys at the tech. doing their best to destroy it .

I would suggest you make or buy a decent stand for it , the heavier the better .

The forum members will steer you in the right direction

Welcome to the forum ratters. Great pick up with the Hercus and an even better one with the accessories.
    You will, I'm sure, get all you need to know here as the guys are very helpful in anything Hercus.
    Like morrisman says, a stronger stand should be first up .

Phil

@morrisman there could well be a taper turning attachment but I wouldn't know! I'm not embarrased to admit that I really am a novice here. Infact if you fellows didn't mind perhaps I can put up a few photos of things I'm unsure about and you can explain what they are for?

I agree about the stand not being up to scratch, its strong enough to hold the weight but it's not ideal. Infact I didnt realise the weight of the thing, lucky 2 of us went to pick it up but even then we had to remove the tail stock and the motor to get the weight down a bit so we could carry it to the car.

I'm very excited about the whole thing, its already caused me to be late for dinner 3 times!

Tiptoeturtle Guest

You will be spoilt for choice with the number of things you can do with that setup.
    DT

Default Great Machine

Ratters
    A beautiful looking machine in original condition.
    Looks to have had small use, & has been well looked after.
    The taper turning attachment, with other extras is a big bonus.
    I agree with others, it needs a good solid stand.
    May I suggest, leave the lathe in the original colour, that is, don't paint it.
    Hercus lathes of this era, are becoming collectables, & are a pleasure to own, as original.
    regards
    Bruce

Hi Ratters,
    if you post some pics I can try and label them.

Phil
    hercus_zps2763dd93.jpg

Okay, so I went through the mini mountain of bits that came with the lathe just now and I have fished out some of the stuff that I need help in identifying.

Whats this for?

It looks like a taper shaft that goes in the tailstock but I dont understand the notch in the plate?

A tailstock work piece holder of some kind?

No idea about this one!

Some kind of right angle bracket to hold something else??

This?

Another tricky one

Curious looking thingo

I understand that these are steady rests but I dont understand how the one on the right attaches to the lathe?

A long handwheel thing?

this?

Another quite curious looking thing, in its own box

You would put this in the chuck and then something gets bolted to it?

A set of gears, they appear brand new and still covered in cosmoline, infact they were kind of glued together with it. The teeth have no wear on them at all. Could these be metric gears? There is a metric thread chart on the side of the lathe, but there isn't any info with this box so I honestly don't know.

Some odd's & sod's

A tool holder of some kind, but I dont understand the angled setup?

Pieces of brass tube strung together and some have things stamped on them

A box of very interesting looking tools

I need to have a thorough sort through all the boxes I got because some of them are literally full of odds & ends all jumbled in together but at least for now maybe you guys can help explain some of this lot for me?

Sorry if the photos aren't clear, i can take more pics if need be.

Cheers!

Hi ratters,
    i am away from the comp at the moment so I can't label them until I get back Sunday.
    I will name some bits thought I get you started. The more knowledgable hopefully will join in
    pic 1 is a carriage stop. It clamps to the bed in front of the carriage up the headstock end
    pic 2 looks like a drive plate but I dont get the taper part.
    Pic 3 is a pipe centre. It goes in the tail stock to support hollow tube
    pic 4 and 5 is a scribing block
    pic 6 is an angle plate for clamping work to while machining
    pic 7 looks like a spin indexer. I would say this guy has done a bit of milling on the lathe.
    pic 8 is a vertical slide for milling work in the lathe. It clamps where the tool post is and the cutter goes in the lathe chuck.
    pic 9 your guess is as good as mine
    pic 10 steadies as you say. The right hand one bolts to the front of the carriage.
    pic 11 looks like a 5c collet drawbar. You should have some collets laying around.
    pic 12 same as pic 9
    pic 13 looks like a boring head, possibly homemade
    pic 14 is a stub arbor probably made for a specific job he had to do
    pic 15 and 16 is your chasing dial and change gears used for screwcutting
    pic 17 I'll label when I get home
    pic 18 is a parting off tool
    pic 19 is assorted bronze / brass bushing or stock
    pic 20 I'll label when I get home.
    i hop this helps.

phil

Default Very Nice Parts

Ratters
    I was drooling over your photos, & thanks to Steamwhisperer Phil, for identifying & naming them all.
    Looks like the Surface Gauge or Scribing Block, may have been made by a previous owner, possibly during an apprenticeship, nice work!!!
    If you ever get tired of the whole Lathe & outfit, please give me first offer.
    I would be very interested !!!!
    regards
    Bruce
    Picture 11.... is a 3C collet Drawbar. These Lathes use 3C size Collets as does the Indexer.

Phil has already done the descriptions, but I labelled your photos so will post anyway.
    I think it's a 3C collet system? 5C too big for this Hercus.
    We're all green with envy.

Jordan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ratters,

You've probably got yourself the score of the century for Hercus owners with all those parts and the lathe itself.

You should have a think about buying this book:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-H...item2eda259a21

it will help you understand what you have and how to use it.

Also have a look at Mal's site :
    http://www.australianmetalworkinghobbyist.com/store/

It will show how much people will pay for what you have.

Ben.

Guys I can't thank you enough for all the assistance in identifying some of those things, I have already been on YouTube watching example videos on their usage and its all starting to make a lot more sense! Feeling quite fortunate to have some of this gear now, it looks like I should have the equipment to do all sorts of things!

And since you folks were enjoying the photos so much I have taken a few more of some of the other random bits and pieces I got.

Micrometer, I got 2 of these the same but one metric and one imperial.

A runout guage set?

4 Jaw chuck

A box of mill and cutting bits

Cutting bits

Random stuff

More random stuff

Some very large drill bits

Some chucks and random bits

Believe it or not this still isn't all that I got with the lathe, there is a bunch more things as well, including more 'random bits' in containers. Some of this stuff is brand new and some of it looks worn out but I'm happy to have it!

Thanks for the suggestions on the book and the website with the parts too. Infact the old fellow said he had 5 books that go with the lathe but they have gotten mixed up in his moving house and when he finds them he will post them to me. I really hope so because he said one of them is an original item that came with the lathe from new.

Default Wonderful !

Ratters
    I have to agree with "Nadroj" Jordan.... "Green with envy"
    Also "Bwal74 Ben.... "The score of the century"
    This is a amazing collection of tools & accessories in conjunction with the beaut Hercus Lathe.
    It has taken me a lifetime to accumulate, purchase, & dream of the collection you have acquired in one swoop.
    Very well done, little by little, you will learn how it all goes together. There I also a lot of knowledge, on this Forum.
    Please keep reading & purchase the Hercus book already mentioned.
    Your in for a lot of discovery & enjoyment.
    regards
    Bruce

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast