Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

David, you hit the nail on the head! Yes there was a 20 tooth gear being used as a spacer on the lead screw. I took the lead screw gear off and then removed the smaller gear and its stamped 20. I swapped it with one of the other spare gears I have so there is still a spacer and now I am in business!

Your guys are so helpful!! Thanks a lot

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The gear you removed was taken from the position known as screw gear, when you remove the 40 this area is known as the stud gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ratters View Post
    David, you hit the nail on the head! Yes there was a 20 tooth gear being used as a spacer on the lead screw. I took the lead screw gear off and then removed the smaller gear and its stamped 20. I swapped it with one of the other spare gears I have so there is still a spacer and now I am in business!

Your guys are so helpful!! Thanks a lot
    Hi,

I would suggest to retain your sanity that you treat these two gears as special and always keep them on the lathe.

Don't replace them with a random gear.

When you wish to change ranges swap the positions of the gears - where the 20 tooth gear was taken from replace it with the 40 and where the 40 tooth gear was put the 20 tooth gear there.

Keep them handy so you don't have to sort through a box of gears to find them when changing feeds/ pitches.

--
    David

Well I am feeling just a little bit chuffed today, I learned some new things and made a thing

I found an old bunsen burner at the local scrap yard which still had the old bayonet style gas tap fitting. So I decided to see if I could make a new fitting that suits regular BBQ gas bottles. I used a thread guage to work out which threads I needed to cut, set the gears and gearbox on the lathe, watched some youtube thread cutting videos, then plunged into it. Thats probably all childs play to most of you lot but I was learning on the fly and loving it. Here is the result, its no precision part but its works perfectly, no leaks and the threads are nice and snug.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234