Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Thoughts on what should I do with these trees please?

Hi All,
    Ive been listening to the top of this ironbark creak in the wind for months and a few days ago it came down. Thank goodness it missed the house.
    I figured it, and the spotted gum next to it had to go for safety. Sorry if I got my species wrong, I'm not really knowledgeable on these things.
    What to do with them? I was thinking I may be able to get a few $$ but no idea on what they are worth, or store them as-is for firewood, or use them as a retaining wall in the garden somewhere.
    Two straight pieces of the spotty are about 6.5 or so metres long. One is 50cm dia and the other a bit less.
    The ironbark (I will fall it when the weather clears up in a day or two) will be about 50cm dia and also 6m or more in length. I can lift and move them around with an excavator.
    And there are a few other bits too which I can use as firewood or not.
    Any thoughts? I'm on the Gold Coast near Nerang.
    Cheers,
    Drew.
    IMG_0176.jpgIMG_0173.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

1st pic looks like a forest red gum and the 2nd a grey ironbark. If their are any good fork pieces keep them and slab them and use them for furniture. you could offer some of the wood to a local mens shed as turning blanks.

Love the furniture idea. Something very appealing about having a few pieces made and knowing the wood grew here. I just found out there is a not-for-profit up the road that makes rustic furniture and trains/employs disadvantaged youth in the process. They'd love to have the wood too but I'd need to get them slabbed. And the men's shed is a good option.

Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to get these slabbed? Maybe if I fell a few others I had tagged for future and got them done at the same time, it would be more cost efficient.

Hi Drew and welcome to the forums. I would normally offer my help to slice them up, especially when I am in Nerang too, but I have damaged shoulders and won't be doing any for a long time . There are no local Men's sheds with slabbing gear, I'm the one they usually call . The Gold Coast Woodturners at Mudgeeraba can mill it up and use it but for woodturning not furniture. The trouble with Eucs is that they love to crack, especially if not sealed at the time of dropping.

There are a few millers on this forum that would be able to help, but at a price. Slabs must be stacked and stickered to dry over a number of years so it is a long term investment. If you are after quick $'s, then I hate to say it, but firewood is the way to go.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei View Post
    Hi Drew and welcome to the forums. I would normally offer my help to slice them up, especially when I am in Nerang too, but I have damaged shoulders and won't be doing any for a long time . There are no local Men's sheds with slabbing gear, I'm the one they usually call . The Gold Coast Woodturners at Mudgeeraba can mill it up and use it but for woodturning not furniture. The trouble with Eucs is that they love to crack, especially if not sealed at the time of dropping.

There are a few millers on this forum that would be able to help, but at a price. Slabs must be stacked and stickered to dry over a number of years so it is a long term investment. If you are after quick $'s, then I hate to say it, but firewood is the way to go.
    Thanks Neil.

Sorry for the delay in reply .. have been tied up with getting the joint ready for the XMas crowd to arrive.
    I have to confess I've found this forum very addictive and the honesty and willingness to help others share the passion quite remarkable. You don't often find that.

I think I'd like to keep as much as I can for timber and use the scrappy bits for the firewood pile. I have enough cut to last me a few years already.
    I guess now I need to seperate the decent bits and seal the ends so they keep until I can get them milled.
    Initially I was thinking I could buy a frame to put my 660 on and learn to slab them myself as others have done. Then, I realised these things are better left to the experienced with perhaps a Lucas, as more quality timber is likely to be recovered.

My next task is to find out how much I need to fall for the 50 sq m floor I'd like to cover, and if mixing species would look Ok on a floor. I can either go for more red gum or ironbark, or include/switch to tallowwood at this stage.
    I have a spare garage I can clear out to let the timber dry in. All a good learning experience. I just hope I don't f it up LoL.

I'd say I'll certainly be coming back for advice in the New Year. BTW I'm on acreage in Gilston so not far from you.

Sounds like you may have a fair bit to cut up and a Lucas may the way to go. I have sent a few messages to a few millers I know, they don't visit here too often.
    Neil

Gday

We can bring one of our mills down and a machine to move the logs if needed, I have a job in mudgeeraba in Jan that would save you paying travel.

Give me a call or txt 0417982589 or email [email protected]

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Default Thanks Weisyboy

Quote Originally Posted by weisyboy View Post
    Gday

We can bring one of our mills down and a machine to move the logs if needed, I have a job in mudgeeraba in Jan that would save you paying travel.

Give me a call or txt 0417982589 or email [email protected]
    Thanks heaps guys. I've sent an email with all the details and info on what I'm trying to achieve. Cheers.
    P.S. Loved the firewalking youtube vid.