Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebony Finial?

Thumbs up

Nice job on that Bob!!!

I would be careful with Solomon Islands Queen Ebony. Reports of its uneven quality and its propensity to split are fairly common.

For me a good alternative would be the heartwood of the Leopard Tree, - ak Brazilian ironwood or caeselpina ferria.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Indian Ink

Hi Team, something in the dim dark recesses between the ears? is telling me I have seen a video/tutorial? about Indian Ink is the best Ebonising medium, good penetration, longs shelf life doesn't raise the grain and is UV resistant. I haven't a clue how long ago I saw this or how accurate the description. Can anyone shed more light on the subject. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Nice job on that Bob!!!

I would be careful with Solomon Islands Queen Ebony. Reports of its uneven quality and its propensity to split are fairly common.

For me a good alternative would be the heartwood of the Leopard Tree, - ak Brazilian ironwood or caeselpina ferria.
    Thanks artme, I had 3 pen blanks of ebony which I bought at the wood show 3-4 years ago and when I went to use one last week all 3 had split down the centre. Not sure where it came from, but was pretty disappointing. I will keep my eye open for some Leopardwood.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jay h View Post
    Hi Team, something in the dim dark recesses between the ears? is telling me I have seen a video/tutorial? about Indian Ink is the best Ebonising medium, good penetration, longs shelf life doesn't raise the grain and is UV resistant. I haven't a clue how long ago I saw this or how accurate the description. Can anyone shed more light on the subject. Jay
    Thanks Jay, I thought of using indian ink and when I asked about it at the stationery store (OW) they had no idea what I was talking about - must be showing my age

Bob

Default Indian Ink

Hi , Bob I have been trying to remember where I heard /saw this without any luck but when you mentioned stationery I remembered Art Supplies. It may be Artists use a different Quality or type, don't know. Sorry if this is confusing tis to me. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgreybeard View Post
    Thanks Jay, I thought of using indian ink and when I asked about it at the stationery store (OW) they had no idea what I was talking about - must be showing my age

Bob
    Ho Ho you and me both, try aniline dye maybe.

As to the Queen Ebony I wrapped mine loosely in glad wrap and let dry out and now its dry with minimal hair line cracking in either piece 100x100 sq and roughly 700 long or thereabouts. They have sat in my tin shed in Sydney whilst going through the 'seasoning process'
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12