Default I wheely need help

Hello Everyone I am exremely new to this section having mainly been a pen turner and other stuff but as part of our local mens shed I have been asked the question of how is the best way to make wheels for cars and other things. The Size that they were looking for is about 37mm so what I would like o know is there a tutorial out there on making wheels or can someone offer advice on doing these properly we ould also like to score lines on them to make it look like tread so any help would be appreciated ?

Cheers Ian

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

this is the easiest.
    http://www.carbatec.com.au/toy-wheel-cutters_c21825

40mm

and there should be someone in the club that can sharpen them

I have only done a few wheels(4) for a pull along toy. And I am sure that there would be a better way then what I did.

Using a hole saw(and it came with a 7mm drill bit) in a drill press drilled out 3/4 of the plank. Turned it over and drilled from the other side.

I then mounted these between centers using the pen mandrel and a pen mandrel saver, to round over the wheels. I found that I could do two at a time with a spacer between the two wheels.

The things I found was the center holes tend to become loose in the pen mandrel so added tape where the wheel was located. I think this was the case because I was taking too aggressive cuts and over time this just expands. Maybe a smaller drill bit for the center hole? Make a wooden dowel? Hold the wheel a different way on the lathe?

There is lots of ways Ian both above are the quickest.

To make the groves a set up using an index wheel is required this if the lathe has one or one is made to suit is quickest on the lathe using a small router set up or same can be done off the lathe.

This fellow has some top ideas

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'day Ian, I hope the following is of some assistance, too....Cheers, crowie...

McJing have a toy wheel cutters

https://mcjing.com.au/searchresult.a...wheel%20cutter

carbitool have toy wheel cutters

http://www.envirocatalogue.com.au/Ca...uter_Bit/#/36/

Holesaws work okay but with all the toys wheel's I've made, hardwoods make for easier cutting and better finish.....
    With 2 holesaws you can skerf a cut on the timber before using the larger of the 2 holesaws to cut the wheel......
    Also you can use a holesaw and forstner bit to get an even better depth in the wheel centre....

Have a look through the Toymakers section on the forum as a good number of blokes have shown how they made their wheels...

I remember one of the blokes, I think "colbra" used his drill press with a bolt to hold the wheel blank then setup a scoring tool to do the treads.....

I also made wheels on the lathe, As Christos I used a pen mandrel THIS may help it is how to on the fire engine build I did a while ago.

Default Tired of making wheels?

Hi Ian,

If you get tired of making your own wheels or are not quite happy with your own finish - check out our selection at Woodenjoys

Our 38mm single and dual tread wheels would be perfect for your projects!

We are Qld based - offering a wide selection of wheels, pegs and other wood accessories - and we ship all over Australia.

I'm guessing its the mens shed that needs the wheels for the toy group.
    and if they are making hundreds of toys to give away at xmas with 4 wheels each, that's a lot of wheels.

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    I'm guessing its the mens shed that needs the wheels for the toy group.
    and if they are making hundreds of toys to give away at xmas with 4 wheels each, that's a lot of wheels.
    G'Day Ian, I've sent you a "PM".... which may offer some help..Cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    I have only done a few wheels(4) for a pull along toy. And I am sure that there would be a better way then what I did.

Using a hole saw(and it came with a 7mm drill bit) in a drill press drilled out 3/4 of the plank. Turned it over and drilled from the other side.

I then mounted these between centers using the pen mandrel and a pen mandrel saver, to round over the wheels. I found that I could do two at a time with a spacer between the two wheels.

The things I found was the center holes tend to become loose in the pen mandrel so added tape where the wheel was located. I think this was the case because I was taking too aggressive cuts and over time this just expands. Maybe a smaller drill bit for the center hole? Make a wooden dowel? Hold the wheel a different way on the lathe?
    Hi Christos, the other day I had to make a couple of wheel grabbed what I thought was the 1/4" bit turns out it was 7 mm and used a brass tube from a pen kit cut down to length to fit on the mandrel.
    Am in the process of making a video of my wheel making efforts, including tractor wheels, will be sending to Crowie when finished.
    Kryn