Thread: Trolls

Default Trolls

Picked this article up this morning from a newsfeed.

One of the best I have read on how to not become or how to deal with trolls.

http://www.thenakedceo.com/career-bu...tbrain-june_au
    Regards,
    Bob

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Bob I have more than once being classified as a net/cyber Troll

Then there are those who feed the Trolls hoping for a bite I often wonder which is worse.

I often reply to news items and responses mainly from those who have lived life never knowing hardship yet they bully openly those who are below them and doing it tough. For that if I am a Troll then I say look at Shrek and yes I married my Princess. She' no Ogar or Shrew

Trolling is a art.

Bob
    This is a useful article on handling difficult people on line. It is pitched at reasonable, emotionally intelligent humans. But I think it assumes too much. A troll is only interested in a bite from it's victim. "He" (usually a he) will ignore any attempt to establish a respectful dialogue and go straight for the insult in order to get under their victims skin. That is what they are looking for. The Monty Python skit "The Argument Clinic" seems to sum up a troll.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Well, there are trolls, and then there are the people described in Lewandowsky's research - http://pss.sagepub.com/content/24/5/622

The latter type don't think of themselves as trolls, but as they are immune to any scientific or logical argument that goes against their beliefs, they might as well be trolls as there is nothing that will convince them that they are in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    Bob
    This is a useful article on handling difficult people on line. It is pitched at reasonable, emotionally intelligent humans. But I think it assumes too much. A troll is only interested in a bite from it's victim. "He" (usually a he) will ignore any attempt to establish a respectful dialogue and go straight for the insult in order to get under their victims skin. That is what they are looking for. The Monty Python skit "The Argument Clinic" seems to sum up a troll.

TT
    I think that you are probably correct. Not a big fan of Monty Python but enjoyed the link.

I have had little experience of trolls but considerable with what could be at best described as difficult people.

From what I can gather, the trolls appear to try to bully, belittle, big note themselves as some sort of expert, make wild unsubstantiated claims as fact and generally seem to be suffering from what I call the "look at me syndrome". If, when reading comments on the net, my "BS" detector goes off I tend to be dismissive of what they have to say. I think we are fortunate on this forum as since joining back in 2005 I can't recall this being an issue in any of the aspects I have been involved in.
    Regards,
    Bob

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

rrich Guest

Elsewhere I had an issue with someone that felt it was important to criticize or correct everything I posted.

Basically I tried ignoring his posts or answering as politely and politically correct as a parent would patiently explain to a child. When he found fault with a telephone in a picture of a computer desk that I had built I lost it. I apologized for my incorrectness in his eyes and then I blocked his user I/D. Amazingly, in about a week the troll just disappeared into the cloud.

I don't know if this forum allows users to block user I/Ds.

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post

I don't know if this forum allows users to block user I/Ds.
    Yes, you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

Peter.