Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to lift a jointer

I am looking to buy a Carbatec 8" jointer model CJT-350, but am unsure about transport and off loading it at my shed.

I intend picking it up with a ute from the transport company's depot, and will have an engine hoist to unload it at home.

Can anyone please tell me how it is packaged? Does it come as a single 250kg fully assembled unit, and are there any lifting points for chain or slings? How do you get it off the pallet and on to the wheels on the ground? I believe lifting it by the infeed and outfeed tables is not recommended at all.

Finally, are there certain assembly requirements before you can fire it up?
    regards,

Dengy

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

From memory of getting mine, it will come in two wooden crates, the bed assembly (approx. 2000*450*300) in one and the mostly assembled cabinet in the other (approx. 1000*600*800). They need to be put together then the belt, fence, one of the wheels and a couple of panels attached. Then there is a bit of set up work to do. Probably takes an hour or two and a second set of hands is pretty helpful.

I couldn't see ay really convenient lifting points short of wrapping a sling under the tables as close to centre as possible.

Hope this helps

Jack

My unit has provision for two eye bolts that screw into the frame near the cutter head.
    I found that moving mine on my own it was very heavy and leaving the tables off made it possible.

Thanks for the above information. Advice I got from Carbatec today is that the courier will need for a pick up 238kg in total. Part 1 is a box 205x65x33cm w 185kg and Part 2 is a box 95x46x71cm 60kg.

The other interesting thing is that Carbatec use Startrack as their Courier, and Startrack now refuse to allow anyone in their depots to collect goods - "WH&S issue" is the excuse given. But they are prepared to send it out on a tailgate truck to your address for an extra $170 on top of the $200 shipping fee. No way, Jose!

Found out that TNT do not want customers without an account and an ABN number, and that they limit first time customers to 50kg load limit. They would not even give me a quote.

Found out that Followmont, a Brisbane company, will allow the goods to be picked up in a ute or trailer from their Townsville depot, so will be using them.
    regards,

Dengy

Check the power plug. Mine came with a European plug that I had to change. A Major discussion between myself and not so helpful staff followed. Damien
    I'm a dancing fool! The beat goes on and I'm so wrong!!!!

Default weight?

heaviest that I have done Is 380kgs -Band saw-big er. If they have a rear load hydraulic hoist -you have no problems -get them as close to final location as possible & it can be walked even if it takes ages. 250kg nothing but patience. Can guarantee 3-4 inches with each movement -by yourself -just takes time. By the way 380kg band saw was loaded by forklift -unloaded by winch, driving forward, packing up & general nous -brain beats problem -Almost every time. -By the way -have chosen to move it across the shed since -just cause it works better. By the way I am in no way some kind of muscle head. Use yours & all will be good.