Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Atkin Rescue Minor

My sailing days are over , and we may be moving also , to a protected waterways area.
    I'm thinking of the Atkin Rescue Minor.
    Its very shallow draught , and should handle the weed growth fairly well.
    And it is diesel.
    Any thoughts ? , and experience ?.
    Regards Rob J.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

This is a well noted boat, but really over rated, for what it's capabilities are. There are a lot of other designs that will offer all the same stuff, with better rough water ability and higher speed. It's an antique design (3/4's of a century old) and for it's size pretty heavy, compared to modern craft. This means a lot more parts to cut and install, materials to purchase and fuel to consume underway.

A lot of 2x4's for such a little boat, plus it's not the easiest hull to build either.

I'll accept that PAR.
    What are the alternatives ?.
    I will be driving it out of still , slimey , shallow water , in a tidal canal , to a creek , and then out in to a bay.
    And I don't want anything petrol powered , it must be diesel powered.
    Regards Rob J.

I understand the desire for diesel, though in small craft, the weight penalty can be tough to live with. If shoal draft is a big concern, you should look into something other than a straight shaft setup, simply because having all that gear dangling below the boat, even tucked up into a tunnel or depression, like Rescue Minor, the draft is deeper than other drive approach. Maybe a diesel powered jet, for the ultimate in shoal draft. As to the particular design, well I don't know enough of your needs, but there are hundreds of designs to choose from, most designed after the landmark '63 series tests. I mention these test simply because since, they have all but changed and driven modern power hull design. I would think a sea skiff or Jersey skiff would be well suited, if interested in shoal draft and various sea state conditions. If it was strictly swamps and tidal flats, the Rescue Minor would be an option, though they're not very shoal even with the gear tucked up in the reverse deadrise stern.

After a few years in CG PAR , there is no way I would have a petrol engine in a boat , unless I really have to.
    I do have a 2hp Yamaha OB for the little HS tender , that is ok , well there is no alternative .
    The biggest problem with it is its propensity to foul up in weed. The built in fuel tank is a plus.
    But I've seen hundreds of "accidents" , caused by sloppiness (no pun intended) with petrol.
    It almost certainly won't be used by just me , and I don't trust the others , including grandkids , to have the same vigilance or caution.
    So , should I do a search for "Diesel Sea Skiff" , or "Diesel Jersey Skiff" PAR ?.
    Any designer that comes to mind PAR ?.
    I won't be building it , it will be professionally built.
    Regards and thanks Rob J.

PAR this is the canal I'd be starting off in .
    That runs in to a creek , then in to a sheltered bay.
    I don't need speed , 8-10 knots would be more than enough.Once out in the bay , I'd be trolling at around 4 knots , or maybe take the short trip to pick up the grandkids off the beach in front of their place , at whatever speed is comfortable.
    Thanks again , for your help.
    Regards Rob J.Salt Ash mooring.jpg

Again, there are lots to choose from but a tunnel stern seems well suited. The sea bright hull, which Rescue Minor is based is more bother to build. A inverted V "flats" boat (sea sled type) will also get the prop tucked up and you'd also have much higher speed potential if desired. Generally, it's difficult to make a straight shaft drive shoal, even with tunnels and surface eating props. Add the diesel aspect to the list and your choices drop significantly.

For your needs, the Rescue Minor will serve, though it doesn't have much elbow room (5' 8" beam), which is how it's gains it's efficiency. Maybe look at some of Atkins sea brights or tunnel sterns, to get some more beam, though typically these designs are narrower then most modern skippers are accustomed. A sea sled will have plenty of beam and is also a very stable platform for fishing too.

Thanks PAR , for your help.
    It is very much appreciated.
    Regards Rob J.

I've just been reminded again , why I don't want petrol in my boats.
    A boat exploded on a lake in this state , the driver is badly burnt , and about 6 young kids.
    I find burns victims very distressing , and often , usually , the "accident" could have been prevented.
    I'm sticking to diesel !.
    Rob J.

We used to have some serious problems with gas power in this country, but not so much in recent decades. Of course, there's still to bonehead or two that makes modifications, uses automotive parts or simply just doesn't keep up after his boat, so he manages to blow himself up.

The great majority of these concerns are directly related to a boneheaded owner. I've owned dozens of boats and never had a gas fire. If proper maintenance is performed, she operated correctly (blowers) and the appropriate parts installed, you'll be fine, as proven by the 10's of thousands of pleasure boats that don't burn their occupants each year. Diesel representation in pleasure craft is a very small percentage of the market, possibly unfortunately. I like diesel, except for the cost and weight associated with them. I have a 150 HP diesel in my big sailboat. It weighs almost twice as much as my 750 HP gas engine in a race boat and cost more than twice as much, with only 20% of the power. Damn, that's a tough pill to swallow.

I think there should be some changes to the regulations around gas engines, for example, I think all engine box setups (out drives, jets, etc.) should have an automatic blower system to vent vapors, not the manual setups used currently. A simple thing, but just not seen. I've investigated lots of fires for insurance companies and invariably, the fuel choice wasn't the cause. Most of the time is was an operator error or simply neglect. This isn't the fault of the fuel, just the bonehead that was operating the boat.

Yes , probably right PAR , most times.
    Almost all of the CG callouts here are fuel related , with big outboards.
    The rest are OB electrics.
    There was only 1 diesel callout I can remember , and that was due to electrics.
    Ironically I had a problem with HS , with the fuel !. But I sailed back to my mooring.I had fuel contamination
    But I use an additive in the fuel now , and its sweet.
    I'm pretty sure there have been regulations brought in to try to stop petrol engine explosions , but they still happen.
    The problem here I think , since the destination of most of the boaters is the "horseshoe" 42NM out , is the "reserve tank". 20litre Jerry cans.
    The usual way to get yourself on these sheltered waters we are going to would be to rock up to the local boat dealer , and buy a tinnie , and outboard.Takes you 10 minutes.
    It makes sense.
    But I don't like tinnies , or petrol engines.
    So I'm happy to spend more , to get an appropriate wooden boat , diesel powered.
    I guess our boats reflect our personalities.
    Regards Rob J.

Still looking , looking.
    But I keep coming back to the Atkin boats.
    Now I'm really admiring a younger "sister" of RM's , the Shoal Runner.
    Particularly Peter Welch's interpretation , I reckon thats a very nice boat.Shoals Runner.jpgShoals runner1.jpgRob J.

PAR , or anyone that knows anything about Peter Welsh.
    Is he still operating ?.
    I have been to his website and posted to him , but have got no response.
    Anyone know anything about him?.
    Regards Rob J.

Don't know what the deal is with Peter, though the economic crash a few years back did in a lot of small operations. Some hung on as long as possible, just to fail in the last couple of years. Have you tried a direct email?

PAR , I used the contact form on his site http://peterwelchcustomboats.com/Page_5.html .
    Regards Rob J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast