Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Banjo Uke

A banjolele built for fun over the Christmas period

The neck is wood left over from my front deck, the trimmings are left over from a mate's deck and the body is left over scraps of Tassy Oak floorboards. The 'skin' is an 8" drum head...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    A banjolele built for fun over the Christmas period

The neck is wood left over from my front deck, the trimmings are left over from a mate's deck and the body is left over scraps of Tassy Oak floorboards. The 'skin' is an 8" drum head...

hey, looks great John. I assume you are unlike me and can play these things... Actually I`m getting ready to make a Kiku and am waiting for the cartridge heater. I just bought a pile of Tas blackwood to build a bro in law a dresser and I accidentally bought too much and will have to use same on guitar building.... I just finishing another CBG for my son for his BD...will show some pics next week when I have set it up after finishing. cheers.

Looks great. Very professional.

Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Hi John,
    Nice banjo uke. I have been thinking of having a go at one someday using a hand drum as the body. When people stop asking me for cigar box ukes.
    Did you make that tail piece and if so any details.
    Regards
    John

Very impressive indeed,...!!!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    Did you make that tail piece and if so any details.
    Thanks for the high regards... as a bit of fun, I'm pretty pleased with the way it all turned out

John - The tail piece was an idea that's mostly still in my head, so it's a little light-on for details. I'll post a picture of the 3d model in a couple of days, but there's a few pictures on my facebook page at the moment that give a pretty good idea of the construction.

Sorry for the delay John...

Here's the exploded 3D model of the tailstock, plus the machined parts picture. The main part screws to the body and the horse shoe slides into it. Everything is held together with the pin and when the strings are tensioned, the horse shoe will self align to the direction of the strings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,
    Thanks for that. I hope you dont mind if use that tailpiece idea on some of my CBGs. I,ve tried a few different methods so far but none as neat as that. I had a look at you'r facebook picks. Very nice work. When I get around to a banjo it will be a bit more basic.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    Thanks for that. I hope you dont mind if use that tailpiece idea on some of my CBGs. I,ve tried a few different methods so far but none as neat as that. I had a look at you'r facebook picks. Very nice work. When I get around to a banjo it will be a bit more basic.
    Go for it... It's probably a little more difficult to make without a CNC, but it should still be do-able. I have raw video's of the tailstock being machined, but haven't uploaded that to you-tube yet.

You're correct - at first glance this isn't a basic build, so it can be built a lot simpler... For me, this was also a good bit of practice in 3D modeling, plus I wanted a project that took a lot of machining to test a few ideas out. Another requisite was to use as much scrap and build as cheap as possible. The tuners and fret wire were a kind donation from one of my customers, with the only real expense being the drum head and strings - all up, this whole project set me back around 30 bucks.
    Primarily, it's a machining project and the uke is just something to have as a final result. Considering that I don't play, I didn't want to make a pitch-perfect, top-of-the-line instrument... I just wanted something that was interesting to look at when it's sitting on the shelf

Go for it... It's probably a little more difficult to make without a CNC, but it should still be do-able. I have raw video's of the tailstock being machined, but haven't uploaded that to you-tube yet.

You're correct - at first glance this isn't a basic build, so it can be built a lot simpler... For me, this was also a good bit of practice in 3D modeling, plus I wanted a project that took a lot of machining to test a few ideas out. Another requisite was to use as much scrap and build as cheap as possible. The tuners and fret wire were a kind donation from one of my customers, with the only real expense being the drum head and strings - all up, this whole project set me back around 30 bucks.
    Primarily, it's a machining project and the uke is just something to have as a final result. Considering that I don't play, I didn't want to make a pitch-perfect, top-of-the-line instrument... I just wanted something that was interesting to look at when it's sitting on the shelf

nice bit of work John. I feel a little more sane now that you have indicated that you also do not play. I hope that I can learn a bit this year but ATM I`m really enjoying getting back into it and doing the build thing...

Quote Originally Posted by doggadog View Post
    I feel a little more sane now that you have indicated that you also do not play
    Not being able to play hasn't stopped me from making 2 guitars and a uke! (I can strum a few chords, and that's about the limit of my skill level)
    It's all in the fun of building... although, the Boss didn't seem too happy when I casually mentioned that I might build a harp next...

Not being able to play hasn't stopped me from making 2 guitars and a uke! (I can strum a few chords, and that's about the limit of my skill level)
    It's all in the fun of building... although, the Boss didn't seem too happy when I casually mentioned that I might build a harp next...

wow...a harp. Now there is a project. I`ve obviously seen a few and I stand in awe. Was in Spain last year and visited the grand palace in Madrid. Saw six Stradavarius (sp?) violins and cellos in one room.. Gobsmacked. Good luck getting it off the ground with the `powers to be`. cheers, Graeme

Fantastic instrument, an interesting contrast to my work where I go by hand and make em to play. My last banjo was made cutting around pencil marks traced from a pattern I made myself using the band saw and rasping to final roundness.. Did use a flap wheel on the drill for a bit.

I may even attempt a version of that tailpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by titchtheclown View Post
    Fantastic instrument, an interesting contrast to my work where I go by hand and make em to play. My last banjo was made cutting around pencil marks traced from a pattern I made myself using the band saw and rasping to final roundness.. Did use a flap wheel on the drill for a bit.

I may even attempt a version of that tailpiece.
    G'day Titch, I saw yours (coincidentally, about a week after I started playing around with mine), a very impressive job you did on yours. As you say, there's a big contrast between the two and I'm still impressed on how simple you managed to build it. I've done the brick pattern layers previously with a router, (for a telescope) but it's a very time consuming process, and without the CNC, I probably would have opted for a simpler approach for this. I liked your PET bottle idea, I thought it was great!

It will be interesting to see what you come up with when you have a crack at the tailpiece

Anyway, I just uploaded a video sound sample. There's still a little setting up yet to go, but so far I'm pretty happy with it (Sorry for the dreadful playing!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast