Default Good Saw Sharpening

I have some old Disston saws i would like to be sharpened, Does anyone know a good place in Canberra or elsewhere (that i could post them to) to get them sharpened?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Got any photos? Where are you at with ww'ing?

There's plenty of experience on here ... it's not so hard to do yourself at all.

Sharpening a ripsaw is about equivalent to sharpening a chisel ... and you can do A LOT with "just" a ripsaw.

Cheers,
    Paul

Joel, can't help you with names of any regular saw sharpening places - sawdocs are almost extinct in this country! There was a member (Travis Edwards) who is a trained sawdoc, in Warragul. He hasn't posted in quite a while, that I've seen, but you could try a PM...

Failing that, you are stuck with either trying local sharpening services, or sending your saws o/seas, which is both inconvenient & costly. There must be a few sharpening places that can do a half decent job. At the least, they should be able to put good teeth on your saw, allowing you to spruce them up yourself with minimal filing.

As Paul says, the only satisfactory long term solution is to learn to sharpen them for yourself. It's not that hard to get something that cuts, but takes a while & a bit of persistence to get your Disstons to the same standard as when they left the factory!

Cheers,
    IW

Default Consider Bad Axe Toolworks (US)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeldouglas View Post
    I have some old Disston saws i would like to be sharpened, Does anyone know a good place in Canberra or elsewhere (that i could post them to) to get them sharpened?

Thanks
    Hi Joel,
    A guy named Mark Harrell owns Bad Axe Toolworks in the US. He makes fine woodworking saws, and is a big Disston fan. He also offers a sharpening service, and a refurbishing service for old Disston saws. I'm not sure of postal costs, but I bought 2 of his Bad Axe saws last year, and they are excellent, just duck's nuts! The Bad Axe site is worth a look, all sorts of advice on care of saws, refurbishment, sharpening etc. Mark is a highly knowledgable hand saw zealot. A quick E-mail enquiry costs nothing, and just might work for you. Just google Bad Axe.
    Good luck, cheers

Redbog (Harry)

Check out The Traditonal Tools Group. They run saw sharpening workshops at least once a year in Sydney. It's only a couple hours up the road and great way to spend a Sunday. You'll go home with a sharp saw and a new skill.

http://www.tttg.org.au/index.php

Hope to see you there one day.

Cheers,
    Virgil.

Give Fitch sharpening a call. They sharpen various machine blades, not sure about hand saws. I personally would learn to sharpen hand saws in such situation.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    Got any photos? Where are you at with ww'ing?

There's plenty of experience on here ... it's not so hard to do yourself at all.

Sharpening a ripsaw is about equivalent to sharpening a chisel ... and you can do A LOT with "just" a ripsaw.

Cheers,
    Paul
    IMG_5641.jpg

Here's a picture.

i've had a bit of a go trying to sharpen on a ripsaw. i'm lazy id prefer to have them done by someone who knows what they are doing

I sd this question about chisel sharpening a while back and got shot down with everyone telling me to do it myself haha which I have now done. Saw sharpening is something that Fitches do, I called and asked them about it a few months ago and said around $40 each saw but they were pretty busy so I needed to book in a time. which I forgot to do. So you could always try them out in fyshwick. then tidy the saws up and re-oil the handles or make new ones and you have a new saw

Default saw sharpening

A fella called Jim Daley used to sharpen saw from the Goulburn area

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    Sharpening a ripsaw is about equivalent to sharpening a chisel
    I keep saying ripsaw when I should probably say rip handsaw.
    I guess most people will be interested in backsaws.
    Smaller teeth are fiddlier.