Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Pearo View Post
    I just realised I did not take a photo of the shed with machinery in. I was trying hard to get all the odds and ends tied up for the final approval before heading off to the US. I never did get it finished before we got hammered with rain. I did manage to get the rest of the block wall up though, but it needs to be filled with concrete yet.

I will be back in Aus in about 2 weeks, so work will recommence!! I have also scored a heap of old timber from Shorncliffe Pier, although I am not sure how much just yet. It will be getting 'upcycled' (the modern term) into furniture for Sandgate Yacht Club, and fingers crossed I get enough old deck timber to make us new bar tops for the old sailors bar!

Anyway, I managed to hire a plane when I was in Nevada a week and half ago. Its interesting in the US, because the international airport is so secure. But I was sitting airside of a controlled airspace with no security clearance or no supervision. Australia's has more strict security requirements than the US. I flew over hoover dam and grand canyon:

A good break, looking forward to getting back and finishing the house and shed.
    G'day Pearo,
    I was wondering if you'd manage to score some of the old Shorncliffe Pier timber for yourself as well as the club..
    They had the whole thing fenced off when I was up visiting my mum in January..
    Cheers, crowie..

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    G'day Pearo,
    I was wondering if you'd manage to score some of the old Shorncliffe Pier timber for yourself as well as the club..
    They had the whole thing fenced off when I was up visiting my mum in January..
    Cheers, crowie..

No mate, they only gave it out to community organisations. I am sweating on the shed build so I can use some of it. Did not get as much as I hoped, but I have some neat things in mind.

Default Shed nearly approved

So managed to get the final pieces of the puzzle together for the approval. Put the final touches to the block fence, including filling it with concrete. Mixed up and poured in about 1.5m3. Probably should have got a truck in, but never mind! The render finally came out.

I forgot to take photos of us putting in power, data, water and stormwater. I was lucky, because I have access to some machinery. Got a loan of a mini 1t excavator to dig the trenches, and I am glad I did. Buried below my house is 120 years of developments. We found so much concrete below the surface it was not funny. But I managed to get a trench deep enough for the power. As a bonus, we found a buried pipe, which thankfully only turned out to be stormwater from the house. It runs about 5m short of the rear street into a gravel pit, which was blocked. Turned out to be a good find, so I plumbed it to the street. We have since had rain and now the stormwater no longer backs up!!

Power cables to the shed:

Power cables to the house:

My concreter is booked, but is going to canada for 5 weeks, so bit more of a wait to finish up the driveway.

The building approval company is sending out someone for the final inspection next Thursday, so should be able to start work on insulating the walls (they need to see the bolts that hold the shed down) and building the mezzanine.

Sparky is booked. I was going to do the electrical (I am a sparky by trade) but its been about 15 years since I was on the tools, and I have never done domestic work. Will probably get the sparky to up to the sub board in the shed, then I will do the rest.

Its getting so close now...

I was wondering what happened to you, as it's a long time between May and August . Nice going on the shed.
    Probably just as well getting a sparky in, as somewhere along the line rules and regulations have undoubtedly changed .
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    I was wondering what happened to you, as it's a long time between May and August . Nice going on the shed.
    Probably just as well getting a sparky in, as somewhere along the line rules and regulations have undoubtedly changed .
    Kryn
    The joys of working and renovating + being on the committee for 2 clubs takes its toll on spare time! Getting there slowly though. I will be pleased when I can get the driveway done though, as I am sick of walking dirt everywhere.

Just got the final inspection paperwork. Its all signed off and now fully approved!!

The next step is to start work on the mezzanine. Might rope in my wife's cousin to help out with that one, since he is a qualified builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearo View Post
    The joys of working and renovating + being on the committee for 2 clubs takes its toll on spare time! Getting there slowly though. I will be pleased when I can get the driveway done though, as I am sick of walking dirt everywhere.
    I just had to check to confirm that I didn't post that one . I've given up washing the timber floor. We are also having rendering done.

And the build continues. Finished running all the cables today. Just need to wire it into the switchboard and wire up the sub panel in the shed then I will be electrified!

The next step is to start work on the mezzanine. Looking for ideas on this one. At this stage, probably going to use smart joists but unsure on how to hang them / connect them to the steel frame shed.

Bonus pic of my new bandsaw in the shed:

Finished mezzanine today.

uploadfromtaptalk1443328734259.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443328761535.jpg

Was planning on fitting some led lighting but huge storm on the way so had to rush to get timber back in shed and cars under cover.

Filled the area under the mezzanine already!

Next step is shelving and work benches.

Thumbs up

Lookin' good old son!!

I am just a litte worried about the strength of that mezzanine.

Ditto what Arthur said: On both counts.

The mezz floor will be fine if you are planing on housing your butterfly collection, but I would be a little wary if you are going to do the woodworker thing and store timber and other heavy objects. It is that front beam that is the main concern for me. Is it supported from the roof truss?

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

What are the spans on your mezzanine

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

That looks like a nice bit of space Pearo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    The mezz floor will be fine if you are planing on housing your butterfly collection, but I would be a little wary if you are going to do the woodworker thing and store timber and other heavy objects. It is that front beam that is the main concern for me. Is it supported from the roof truss?
    That was my first thought when I saw the photos.
    Before loading that structure up with any sort of timber.I would seriously be getting advice
    Attaching the front beam to the roof won't that help much because the whole structure just does not seem right.
    I realise you have probably done it this way to save vertical space but the way I would have built it would be to use a bigger front beam and a back beam of the same dimension.
    Then locate shorter bearers across and on on top of the two beams.
    The supporting posts against the walls also look lightweight to me.
    I realise they are just under compression but they should be stiffer and double bolted to the beams to minimise sideways movement.
    Relying on the shed structure for this is probably not up to spec.

The mezzanine is mainly for storing sails and camping gear, not going to be loaded up with timber. If I change my mind later I will defiantly need to strengthen it! I am going to seal it up so it does not fill up with saw dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shed seems to have taken a back seat to me obtaining my pilot licence. That is obtained and now just hour building to step up into more commercial aircraft. Also start my instrument training soon, so I am going hell for leather in an attempt to get the shed usable.

Since my last report, I now have the driveway done:

Also, after the latest heat wave in Brisbane (shortlived this year thankfully) I decided to insulate and sheet the shed. Using 7mm CD Ply as it was the cheapest sheeting I could find, and its hiding some R4.5 glasswool batts. The western wall is done, and the difference in heat surprised me.

I also ordered 2 more windows from titan to put in the street facing wall that council would not allow me to put a roller door in. Just waiting on them then I can sheet the last wall. Crazy thing about not getting the roller door and driveway is that apparently it makes it hard to see pedestrians walking, but to get the shed built I had to put up a block fence which makes it impossible to see the street anyway!!

Also scored a bonus from my departing neighbor (the good one). He had some industrial shelving that he could not take with him, so I scored it.