Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Another Craftsman

Hi, I am a new member and also own a Hercus Craftsman - AULH 14286, constructed in 1974?, which I purchased some 20+ years ago with the intention of using it for model building. Life got in the way and although the lathe has had reasonably constant use (mostly doing restoration work on my cars) it has never been used for the purpose for which it was acquired. Being retired I am at last looking at doing some model construction and clock building.

The machine is generally in quite good condition (the bed does not appear to be worn) and it came with some interesting attachments including a set of 40 metric/imperial collets with standard drawbar + a drawbar with thrust ball bearing; a long slotted cross slide; a simple dividing head with collet drawbar; a taper turning attachment, various centres/MT drill chucks/steadys/cutting tools etc. Also included was another slotted slide which is shorter than the one fitted to the machine - I am assuming that this could be a milling attachment slide, given that a dividing head came with the machine. Unfortunately the remainder of the milling attachment is absent. Also absent is the original cross slide and face plate. It came with a new 240V motor.

One unfortunate feature of the lathe was that the spindle was damaged in the MT bore and, at the opposite end behind the leadscrew driving gear. Presumably the damage is related. At the time of purchase Hercus still held some 9" parts, but they wanted $1000 for a spindle! I was able to clean up the internal MT and have ignored the rear end damage until now. However, clock making will require high accuracy. Does anyone know if a 'standard' roller bearing spindle fits the Craftsman? Good second hand standard roller bearing spindles are available. (There is a separate part number for the Craftsman spindle in the spare-parts manual.) A recent approach to Hercus for information received a business like, disinterested response.

20 years ago Hercus advised me that my Craftsman has a (flame?) hardened, long bed which accounts for some of the AULH designation; but, I cannot remember what the 4th letter stands for; can anyone advise me, please. (I assume that A=gearbox version; L=long bed - U=?, H=?.) It may have been a high speed version as the pulley arrangement, as supplied to me, had it running unbelievably fast.

I have enjoyed reading through the Hercus section of the forum and hope fellow Hercus enthusiasts can help with my lack of information.

Many thanks,

Arthur
    (anj909)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

i reckon the
    U is for the craftsman under slung motor drive
    L is for long bed
    H for flame hardened bed
    sounds like you have a good lathe there maybe Mal from Australian metal working hobbiest ( do a google ) can help on the spindle and spares
    john

As an example this is the spindle from my Craftsman, an AU model from 1970. I'm not sure but I seem to remember they are different from the standard model.
    Noel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the responses!!

I am in touch with Mal - he wasn't sure if there was a difference either. I'll know shortly as a standard spindle is on its way from him and should arrive this week. I'll advise the result.

Arthur

A couple of updates - my 2nd cross slotted slide apparently is a boring slide and has nothing to do with a milling slide.

Spindle bearing quote from local suppliers:
    one couldn't quote (no reason given)
    Of the 4 that did quote, the prices varied between $107 to $217.
    None of the suppliers seemed to know anything about alternative high precision bearings; one indicated he would contact Timken for information. None could advise the "accuracy" of the standard set of bearings.

Arthur

Hello Alan,

Excuse my tardiness in replying to this thread. The Timken taper bearings in the headstock of my 1969 ARL have the following part numbers -

Front Cup 18620*3

Front Cone 18685*3

Rear Cup 14276*3

Rear Cone 14138*3

The *3 indicates that they are Class 3 precision bearings and according to Timken's Shop Manual of 1987, the have a runout of over 0.0002 to 0.0003". In comparison a Class 1 bearing has runout between 0.0000 and 0.0001". Even with the sloppy Class 3s there is a cost involved. I was quoted $646 for the two bearings including delivery from Ohio by Statewide Bearings about ten years ago. My original bearings where put back in place at the advice of Statewide Bearings about ten years ago.

Some people maintain that Hercus fitted trailer bearings on their lathe spindles. I can confirm that they used sealed trailer bearings, albeit Timkens, in the workhead of their No 1 tool and cutter grinder. The replacement cost of those bearings was ten dollars each six months ago.

Bob.

Thanks for your post, Bob. It makes the local bearing sellers appear to be very lacking in basic information!!

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the $$ required for Class 3 bearings, let alone Class 1. I'll fit new standard bearings and then check the lathe for accuracy. No doubt it won't be 'as new' but it will be better than it was and hopefully will suffice for the future. I'm hopeful of buying, or possibly making, a mini lathe sometime soon.

Arthur

Arthur,

What is wrong with your spindle bearings? Do they actually need replacing?

I had removed mine when I first acquired the lathe thinking a fresh pair would be a good thing. Back in they went and they are going just fine. I have high speed pulleys but with my current pulley set up the top speed is 1200 rpm rather than the 2500 or so rpm I could have. The 1200 works well enough with the carbide inserts I use. 45 year old bearings probably won't cope for too long at 2500 rpm.

I found a thread I started about the Hercus whipping along - https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...03#post1270203 It may be of interest.

Bob

Hi Bob,

The bearings are not up to much, especially the cups, and do need replacing. I'll post a photo with this response. In some places the cups seem to exhibit corrosion possibly of the type mentioned in a thread regarding using motor oil on a Hercus lathe.

My machine is now running at around 59rpm in the lowest back gear, which makes it just a little slower than the 60hz version. (I don't have a facility to measure the higher speeds.) Will take a look at the post you mention after sending this.

Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Arthur,

What is wrong with your spindle bearings? Do they actually need replacing?

I had removed mine when I first acquired the lathe thinking a fresh pair would be a good thing. Back in they went and they are going just fine. I have high speed pulleys but with my current pulley set up the top speed is 1200 rpm rather than the 2500 or so rpm I could have. The 1200 works well enough with the carbide inserts I use. 45 year old bearings probably won't cope for too long at 2500 rpm.

I found a thread I started about the Hercus whipping along - https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...03#post1270203 It may be of interest.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

Sorry, the lowest speed is almost exactly right according to the plate on the lathe head.
    Arthur