Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey Matty,

Yeah I know, the post above I cut n paste from the one I put on OWWM. I should have corrected that for the locals. I didn't want to use the word BOG on OWWM because I think it has different connotations to the Yanks.

What do you think of the bandsaw and the damage/repairs???
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    Hey Matty,

What do you think of the bandsaw and the damage/repairs???
    Dale, very disappointed for you as to how your machine was handled, as you know yourself soft slings are the only way to go lifting heavy equipment.
    The repairs on the surface look good, a large size bead of weld run which would show good penetration into the cast, is it my eyes or do I do see some faint hair line cracks still in the last pic, have a close look your self and see, top L/H weld, might just be the photo not sure.
    Time will tell when you get it back to your place, and get it running with a blade and some tension on those welds.
    I hope they look after you on the deal, you'd want to walk away at least feeling better about it ...

Melbourne Matty.

I'd been inclined to ask for my money back Dale, was it the guy you bought it off or the transport company that dropped it? Would also depend on how much you paid and how much he was prepared to give back due to not being in original condition as when you viewed/paid for it.

Some of those welds also look like start and stop as well, so they might not hold up too well???
    Cheers

DJ

Matty, I can see what your talking about but can't tell if it is a crack or just pixelation playing tricks. That part though look to have been fully welded one side and tacked the other.

I'm mighty disappointed at the fact the machine was damaged.

DJ, It was done by the seller, he was delivering it for a fee worked into the sale price.

I have been in contact with a few people in the USA and they may have the small broken parts, not sure how much they want for them or shipping but probably too much in the scheme of things. The main casting well that is what it is no replacements there.

I have asked for a revised price from him, and will have to either accept it or get a refund.

You guys have more experience in trading these things than I. What do you think fair price on the machine would be as it now stands? I can compare that to what he comes back with.

It is said to have new babbit bearings, good tyres and comes with 12 rusty but sharp blades, machine is rusty and now repaired to unknown quality.

Whilst writing the last post I got this.

afternon Dale, I ground one weld back and it seems fine for now.I’ve noticed the TopMount weld has a fine surface crack on one weld.
    But the issue is always the quality of the cast and how much it cracks down the track.
    As you can see, the casting is fairly ordinary.

I think best bet is I refund your money and re-advertise some of the parts on eBay
    The main frame needs junking as the foot is a bad cast and makes the whole unit unstable
    I’m also not keen on delivering a machine where a weld may fail at a later stage,
    Sorry about the drama

I think the welds look good , you should ask him to tell you what sort of rods were used though. and decide when you know that . As well as what the refund is into the balance.

From the look of the welds it looks like a rod was used because I can see flux inclusions in places I think ?
    And you can see the whole pieces have been preheated by the looks. so it looks like the welder has done the right thing.
    So if it was the Nicad rods and he was an experienced welder that's good

The other side of where the welds stop is fully welded , that looks good . I would regrind parts and just give a smear of bog over others before paint.
    I reckon you would have to give those parts one hell of a thump with a hammer to break them. A lot more than just blade tension.
    It matches your buzzer as well . You are not going to get another early saw like that without waiting a year or two and then it may be in Queensland .

Save it Dale , is what I think.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    Whilst writing the last post I got this.
    Dale, I honestly think the guys request is fair and reasonable, I suppose you have to look at it from his point of view, an accident has happened, he has done his best to "make good" the bandsaw, the workmanship looks good, can he guarantee the work ? very hard to say it may well run for another 90 years.
    I can understand him wanting to walk away...

Melbourne Matty.

Quote Originally Posted by auscab View Post
    ...You are not going to get another early saw like that without waiting a year or two and then it may be in Queensland .

Save it Dale , is what I think.
    I'm with Rob. Take it, try it. It's a classic and it's a shame it's damaged, but this may be your only chance. And if another one does come along, and it's incomplete, you'll kick yourself for having let this bunch of parts slip away.

My tuppence worth...

Cheers, Vann.
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

Dale - such a shame to see that...

I have a different opinion to others...if the seller is offering you an out, I would get out. Don't get me wrong, I do love these old machines, but as you know, they all have a myriad of little problems that need to be sorted out, and that's starting with a machine without major issues....

edit - all of the issues can be fixed, even the foot, but its really a question of how much time, effort and money you're willing to put into it.

Regards
    John

I found the two broken upper parts and the guys wants USD$150 plus postage so that would probably be about the cost of the saw. The seller has refunded the money.

This saw was really nice even the shape of the feet had a bit more style then most and it was the same make as my jointer but as they say "It wasn't to be"

So I'm back on the hunt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12